Fragile

The Golden Quill
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soo-hyuk woke because something felt wrong; he stretched out his hand and feeling the empty bed, sat up as if just woken by fright. The space beside him was empty, Gaelin was gone and he was alone.

He had a shower and changed into a business suit from his overnight bag. The house felt hollow as if it had too much air in it. He walked slowly down the stairs, feeling the wind as it came through the patio doors. Soo-hyuk stopped, took in the open doors and wondered if it meant anything. And then it did mean something because Gaelin would not leave the house open like this. It was not in her nature to neglect. Soo-hyuk walked outside and toward the lake in the distance. In the early morning, there was a chill in the air but the sun was starting to cast a beautiful gold shimmer across the water that he found beautiful. The urgency started to grow and he quickened his pace, scared of how calm everything was, but there was something ominous in the air. He scanned the area but there was no sign of Gaelin. Stepping closer to the water…

“What are you doing?”

Soo-hyuk closed his eyes, relief flooding his body. For a moment he thought she had…he turned and forced a smile. “Here you are.” He walked up to her and grasped her face and kissed her forehead.

Gaelin studied his face and then lowered her eyes, “Ah, I see now. You thought I was in there.” She looked toward the lake.” Soo-hyuk was silent, “that was a long time ago.” She patted his chest and then walked toward the water’s edge. She was dressed in a large silk gown with puffed sleeves and a high co

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter