JM : Ninth Chapter

Prologue : The Hidden Story

     Jimin takes a look at the mirror. He sees his reflection on it, while making sure his outfit is neat. He helps his other friends with their outfits too. Suddenly, his teacher steps in the room with a piece of paper in her hand. She is checking the attendance of the students before leaving the studio to the festival.
     “Son Yein?”
     Everyone in the studio literally faces Jimin in jinx. They know that the girl is close to him.
     “What are you guys looking at?”
     “Jimin-ah, where is Yein?”
     He raises his shoulder while shooking his head.
     “I… I don’t know,”
     She takes a look at the watch on her wrist then back to the students again.
     “It’s okay. I think she’ll be late. I call her mom. Now, everybody could get in the bus,”
     …
     Yein sits in the bath tub with her hands hugging her legs tightly. Her fingers are wrapping the polaroid which she and Jimin captured that day. She covers her face by leaning it into between her skinny legs. She sighs heavily with her fingers slowly forming a fist on each side. The crumples polaroid falls off from her hands, touching the wet tub.
     “Yein-ah? The competition is about to start…”
     She lifts her head slowly when her mother’s voice is echoing in the bathroom.
     “Yein-ah… Open the door, please, my dear?”
     “Mom… I’m…” she mutters. Her lips feel numb, hard to speak any words when she could feel her tears are streaming down heavily.
    “Yein, don’t be like this, darling,”
    “I… I’m not ready, mom. Just… Just give me… Some more time,” she stutters.
    “But, the competition is about to start, Yein-ah. There’s no time!”
    …
    “Teacher, may I go to the toilet, please?”
    “Jimin-ah, why now? Our performance is after them!” she crossed her arms and gives Jimin a blazing gaze. He chuckles lifelessly.
    “Fine, go then. But, be quick!”
    “Okay, teacher!” he gives a quick nod then runs to the nearest toilet.
    He did his business pretty quick. After taking a look at the mirror and making sure everything is in its place, he steps out of the toilet. Suddenly, he could feel a hand is gripping his arm hard then pulls him into the bush. He is about to scream out for some help when out of sudden he almost choked on a piece of cloth that was stuffed in his mouth.
     …
     “Madam, here he is,”
     Mrs. Son turns to her back with a panic and worried face. She could see a boy who is panting and gasping for air, kneeling on the floor with his face facing down on the floor and his eyes are tied with a cloth.
     “Well, can you at least let me see?”
     She looks down on him with a cynical smile. She falls down on a squat then places her fingers below his chin, pushing his head to face upwards. He could smell her fragrance but he could not see and does not realize how small the gap is between their faces.
     “This stubborn chubby boy,”
     “Thanks for calling me chubby instead of fat,”
     Her cynical smile fades away. She gets up from the squat then crosses her arms.
     “Fine. You get what you want. I did not get to join the performance. I hope you are happy with that. Now, can you just let me go?”
     Jimin could hear her sighs heavily. He frowns in confusion.
     “You can go, as long as you can make Yein goes to the festival,”
     “What?”
     …
     He almost tripped when the men pushed him towards the bathroom door hard. The men just lead him to the bathroom door since he they still don’t want to untie his hands and his eyes. He leans his ear against the door. He could hear her sobs and snots, and he is sure that she is crying. He sighs weakly, somehow feeling pitiful and sorry toward her.
     “Ye… Yein-ah…”
     Yein lifts her face right away then turns towards the door sharply. She is so sure that the voice is Jimin’s but that is hard for her to believe. Why would him be in her house in this time? But, it is really his voice. She knows his voice so well.
     “Yein-ah. It’s… It’s me, Jimin,”
     “Why… Why are you here?” her voice cracks.
     “I’m here to pick you up. You know that you should not be in here at this time, right?”
     “I… I won’t go if you don’t go…”
     Mrs. Son crosses her arms then gazes on Jimin with dissatisfaction. She clenches her jaw, then shuts her eyes, trying to think and be considerate of her daughter’s wish.
     “Fine, he’ll go,”