J : Fifth Chapter

Prologue : The Hidden Story

“She’s… dead, wasn’t she?”
     Suddenly, the door opens widely. Jess is shocked to see the door opened out of sudden without any knocks. She then could see Jin and Donghwi squat-walking into the library. Her eyes then shifted to Yunlee’s. Yunlee is giving her suspicious and weird look to Jess. She got thousands of questions for Jess.
     “Thank you, Donghwi-ah! You’re so kind!” one of the boys cheers with joy and excitement with both of his hands are holding a box of pizza. Donghwi and Jin just smile brightly. Looks like even the librarian guy got a box too. Donghwi treats his whole classmates a box each. What a lucky friend you got there. Jin is searching for Yunlee and Jess. He couldn’t see them since they put the keys back to the desk and left the library for recess time.
     “Come on, don’t say you fell for that guy?” Yunlee teases her by poking her waist numerously.
     But, Jess is not giving any response. Yunlee clears , trying to make the surrounding is not be filled with awkwardness.
     “It’s… It’s not a big deal if you did fell for him,” Yunlee tries to ease her heart.
     “I’m not thinking about that,” Jess lifts her face and voices out. She faces Yunlee with a worried face.
     “Then?”
     “What if I ended up like the story did?”
     Yunlee breaks into silence. She lifts up one of her eyebrows.
     “It’s just a freaking story. What the hell?”
     “I know. I just… wondered,” Jess throws her gaze to the road.
     “There you are!” Jin walks closer to them.
     Both of them turn their heads to Jin in unison.
     “Have you grabbed your pizzas?”
…………………
     “We were seriously dumb back then, right, Jess?” Donghwi tilts his head to face Jess who is still staring the leaves. Jess just nods weakly.
     “You guys are so dumb and stupid and I like that,” Jin snickers.
     “But, I wish you did act smart for only that specific time,” he adds.
     All of them know what Jin is totally talking about, and both of them did regret for what they have done.
     Unfortunately, there’s no point to regret everything now.
………………....
     “Jess! Jessie! Open this ing door open! Jessie!” Yunlee knocks, slams, bangs, hits, just name it all. She did everything. But Jess is being super stubborn. A slight pain attacks inside of Yunlee’s bones at the arms and hands area, making her groans in ache. She grunts her teeth.
     Both Donghwi and Jin arrives right in front of Yunlee with a worried face plastered on each of them.
     “She’s not opening,”
     Jess leans her back against the wall and falls down livelessly. Her black straight hair is covering her face. She is behaving like she is super drunk. Both of her hands are full with uncured scars and blood. Tears streaming down to her pale concave cheeks. Her palms hardly presses onto her eyes. She doesn’t know what she’s thinking and feeling right now.
     “We have to break in no matter what,” Donghwi wipes his sweat off. Jin nods, agreeing.
     Jess is gazing through her reflection on the broken into pieces mirror. She is observing every edge and curve of her face and body…
     ...for the last time.
     “Jess! Wait for us! Don’t think something stupid, Jess!” Yunlee exclaims.
     The boys bump their side to the door numerously with hope that the door will open. They almost giving up when the door is finally letting them get in the room. Yunlee runs her way to trap her into her embrace. Her tears dropping off quickly, making the spot on the floor wet with Yunlee’s tears.
     But then suddenly, Jess pushes Yunlee with all of her remaining energy. Yunlee screams in pain as her back hit the broken mirrors and both of her hands are gripping hard onto themselves. Jin runs toward Yunlee and picks her up bridal style and lies her down on the bed. Donghwi breathes heavily. He stomps to Jess with anger and dissatisfaction. He clutches his fingers to both of her shoulders and shakes her aggresively.
     “WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING, STUPID?!”
     Jess lifts up her face. Donghwi stunts with the view he is gazing now. There’s a long cracked-like scar on her face. He runs his finger to her hair off her face. He could see clear tears running down through her cheeks heavily. He could not handle this. This is just too painful for him to just watch and stay his poker face on. Without realization, tears start to drip down by his cheeks. He wraps his arms around Jess. His big palm is her long hair.
     “This is my ending, Donghwi-ah. It has been written,” she whispers patheticly.
     “Stop talking ,”
     “I’ll die today. I’ll die. I am,”
     “I said stop talking !”
     He lets go of the embrace and observes her face.
     “That son of a doesn’t deserve you! Open your eyes and accept the reality! Don’t be so ing blind, you stupid woman! You’re smart! You’re freaking brainy! Use your ing brain to think rationally!”
     “I am! I am blind! I am blind of love!”
     “You’re calling this , love? How many times do I have to tell you to stop talking ?”
     “You… You don’t understand me,” she keeps on sobbing.
     Those words somehow strikes some slight pain in his heart. He lowers his eyes, just watching her tears falling down to the floor.
     Out of sudden, Jess gets up from the floor and strides towards the balcony.
     “Jess! Jessie! JESSIE-AH! YAH!” both Jin and Yunlee shouts.
     Donghwi follows her steps. Both of them are now standing at the balcony towards the vast sea in front of them. The soft gentle breeze flows, floating Jess’s long hair in the air. He holds a grip onto Jess’s wrist when she tries to step further.
     “Let me go. It was destined that I will die in the name of love,”
     Donghwi snickers sarcastically.
     “In the name of love? You are just too ing blind till you can’t see your true love that was always standing right in front of you the whole ing time,”
     Those words give Jess a current shock.
     What… is he saying?
     “I fell for you when we had our first talk. It was the next day after you moved in here. In our second grade,”
     Jess shifted her gaze to Donghwi, who is keeping his eyes low, on the floor.
     “Why do you keep chasing other guys when…” Donghwi pauses his words. He lifts his face and faces Jess.
     “...when I was always right there, caring, liking and loving you like a fool all these times?”
     Jess could feel that Donghwi’s grip is getting weaken. She pulls her hand with a flash. She paces forward and jumps off the balcony.
     “JESSIE!!!! DONGHWI-AH! DON’T!”
     And that was the last time for Yunlee and Jin to see their faces.