JH : Seventh Chapter

Prologue : The Hidden Story

     Hoseok’s eyes are lingering around, searching for Hyeji figures all over the building. He checks at the studio she used to go. He asks the other teachers as well. He gets out from the building and starts to wander around to find her. Suddenly, he could feel something is gripping his hand.
     Hoseok stops his steps then turns to his back, looking at the hands’ owners. He frowns in shock when he could see Minji is standing with a worried face plastered on.
     “Hyeji unnie, where is she?” Minji asks while gasping for air with both of her hands still holding Hoseok’s wrist.
     “You… You’re searching for her, too?” Hoseok clutches both of her shoulders, making Minji startled. She nods quickly.
     “She’s not here?” Minji narrows her eyes, feeling confused and worried at the same time.
     “I thought she’s at the house? She isn’t?”
     “We really have to search for her right now!”
     She starts to pacing fast. Hoseok catches up her steps and runs with her. He turns to her left, looking at her face. He could see her wiping her tears off. They run all over the place, searching for the same person that is important to both of them. Minji leans against the wall hard when it’s already the 20th stores and restaurants or even gyms they had gone and ask people about Hyeji. She gasps for air.
     “Hey, are you okay? You look freaking exhausted,” Hoseok ambles to her, leaning his left shoulder against the wall, facing her who is still gasping for air and fanning herself with her small hands. He gets more worried when the girl starts to cough.
     “Yah! It’s getting worse!” he is about to step closer, patting her back when she suddenly lifts her palm and stops coughing. She taps her chest hard.
     “We should stop now I guess, with your condition right now. I think she’ll be back home a bit late, don’t you think?” he squats down, facing to Minji who is squatting too.
     “No! No, we shouldn’t give up now! No! I have to keep searching on her!” she shook her head.
     “Are you sure? I think…”
     “We have to find her no matter what!” she grabs his collar with her tears rolling down by her cheeks. Hoseok frowns in confusion.
     “Can you just tell me what’s happening?”
     She looses her grip on his collars. Her tears are getting heavier. She wipes off her tears with her palms before answering his question.
     “I told her not to go to the studio today with her condition like that. But, when I came back from the school, I can’t see her anywhere,” she clears before continuing her words.
     “The… The thing that worried me the most is…”
     “What? What is it?”
     …
     She stares on the empty wall with her blank, empty gaze. She takes a sip of the tea that Minji made for her just now. Inhale. Exhale. Breath in. Breath out. She sighs heavily when her eyes meet the reflection of a picture in a frame in the mirror. She turns to her back and lays her eyes on the lovely picture. Her fingers wrap the frame and takes it closer to her so she could take a look at it better.
     It’s a picture of her, when she was 19 with Minji who was still a kid. They were at a park, playing together, with laugh and smile on each other’s faces without thinking and caring about people’s bad words. The fact that she is a young single mother is actually making her worried. Not worrying about her pride or people bad mouthing about her.
     But, about Minji.
     She does not want Minji to receive the hate, because Minji did nothing wrong. She did not deserve to be hated. She’s a good daughter that listens to her mother well. She’s a tough girl that always understand her mother. She’s the one who will be her friend to listen to her concerns every single day. She sacrifices the ‘mom’ word to be spoken and called in front of the public, because she understands everything.
     She loves her mom more than herself.
     Hyeji hugs the picture tightly. Tears are dripping down by her cheeks heavily.
     “Why I keep making mistakes all over again? What will she feel? What if they know it? Will they bully her?” she murmurs by herself with the picture still in her embrace.
     “I… I can’t… I can’t let that happen. No.”
     Hyeji gets up from the mattress then walks weakly towards the bathroom. She falls on her knees, almost got unconscious. Her fingers grab the sink firmly so she could push herself to stand up. She opens the tap, washing her face with the cold water with hope her vision could be more clear. Her face is looking down. She stares on her reflection on the water.
     “You should just die,” she snickers.
     She lifts her face slowly and stares on her reflection on the mirror.
     “YOU SHOULD JUST DIE!”
     She punches the mirror, leaving it cracked and broken into pieces. Her knuckles and fingers are full with cuts and blood. Her hand are shivering, but she ignores it and grabs a bottle on the sink. She open the cap and gazes into it for awhile. She smirks, but then she frowns.
     Her voice cracks. She bursts into tears again. She spread her other palm wide then pour the content in the bottle. A handful of pills, she is smirking on it. Without having second thoughts, the pills are safely been swallowed by her.
     …
     “I’m home,” she steps in the house and closes the door. Her eyes wander around to find her mother.
     “Mom?”
     She ambles to the door back and opens the door. She takes a look at the shoe rack and realizes that Hyeji’s shoes are not in it.
     “She’s so stubborn. I told her not to go to,” she closes the door back and amble to the room. She throws her school bag onto the floor and also herself on the mattress.
     “What a tiring day,” she closes her eyes to have a nap.
     Suddenly, she opens her eyes back.
     “Having a bath before sleeping must be great. Lemme shower myself,”
     She gets up from the mattress and grabs her towel. She hums soundly when suddenly the view is making her speechless.
     “What the f…”
     The tap is running, the mirror is broken, the pieces is scattering on the sink and the floor, the pill bottle and the cap are laying on the floor. She frowns in confusion. Her heart thumps rapidly. She gulps, starts to feel panic. She grabs the bottle. Her eyes widen when she could feel the bottle is lighter than she expected. There is only a pill left in the bottle. She could see two or three other pills on the floor.
     “!”
     She throws the towel and the bottle from her hand then runs to the door, leaving the house. She tucks in her feet into her shoes then runs as fast as she could.