J : Fourth Chapter

Prologue : The Hidden Story

“Okay, here’s the plan,”
………..
    “Erm, Sir?”
    The head librarian lifts his face up to see who is standing in front of him. Jess’s arm is hugging Yunlee’s waist tightly. A weak and energyless face is plastered on the drama queen, Yunlee’s face. The librarian already could guess what is happening.
    “First of all, get his attention while I could reach his keys at his desk from his back,”
    “I’m sorry, sir. But, do you mind if I could take her to the sick bay? She’s not feeling well,” Jess Yunlee’s hair.
    Yunlee could see a hand sticks out of the librarian’s desk out of nowhere and she knows whose hand is that. That hand grabs the car key and steals it silently without the librarian notices.
    “Okay, and make sure you come back here after sending her to the sick bay,” he speaks with his low and husky voice.
    “Thank you, sir,” both of them bow to the librarian.
    Jess twists the doorknob and opens the door. She gives her way to Jin and Donghwi who is squat-walking to let them get out first. Then, she and Yunlee step out and close the door.
    “We’ll drive there to order some pizzas and for the time being, good luck in trying to not let him knows that someone uses his car to buy some pizzas, okay?”
     “I can’t believe we are doing this,” Jess sneers by looking Donghwi and Jin stride their ways to the parking lot.
     …
     “Here, wear this cap,” Donghwi hands him a random cap.
     “Did you bring this?”
     “No, I found it under the seat. I think he likes caps,” he tucks his head in one too.
     Donghwi turns on the engine and it produces a loud engine sound. They wonder if the librarian could hear the loud noise or not.
     “Wait. You can drive a pickup truck?” Jin holds a grip on Donghwi’s wrist. Donghwi’s hands are already on the steering.
     “Come on, I own one,”
     Jin snickers, forgot that this guy beside him is a son of the CEO of vehicles’ dealer and distributor company. Well, can’t argue with that.
     …
     The librarian’s ears catch a noise that familiar to him from the outside. He wants to take a look at the nearest window which was two metres from his place when suddenly…
     “Sir?”
     A girl voice catches his attention. He takes his seat back and faces the student.
     “Have you sent your friend?”
     Jess nods.
     “Then, anything else you want to say?”
     “Err… Erm... “ Jess tries to find a topic or something that they could talk for a long period.
     “Oh, come on, Jess! I know you can do this!” Yunlee’s heart exclaims, supporting Jess from outside the library. She is leaning on the door, eavesdropping.
     “If you have nothing to say, you may…”
     “Erm… Do you like reading novels?”
     Yunlee holds her laugh in . If she bursts it out, they’ll surely get busted.
     “She must be ran out of idea,”
     …
     “Erm… Do you accept credit card?”
      “Yes, we do,”
      Donghwi hands in his credit card after pulling it out from his wallet. Jin gulps in disbelief.
      “Woah, this kid. I thought people like you only exist in dramas and movies,”
      Donghwi lets out a sneer.
      “It may take a long time. How about take your seats first and we’ll call out your name after everything is done?” the man at the counter points out some empty seats with his thumb.
      “Is it that long?”
      “We will do as quick as possible. Maybe 20-25 minutes?”
      “Ouh, okay. That’ll do,”
      They take their seats.
      “Pfft… I still can’t believe that we’re literally doing this right now,” Jin chuckles.
      “Life is short. Oh, wait, no. Life as a teenager is short. When you still have the time, just enjoy every second wisely. Fill every seconds with beautiful and unforgettable memories. We’ll have no time to make this when we’re older,” Donghwi suddenly, somehow, becomes sentimental.
     Jin catches his dowry eyes. Their gazes locked to each other.
     “Something’s bothering you?” Jin guesses.
     He shooks.
     “It just… I don’t know. Every time we do dumb things…”
     He pauses his words for a moment. Jin patiently wait for him to continue his sentence.
     “... I feel like those are things we should have done from long time ago. So we could do other new dumb things together before that moment comes,”
     “What moment?”
     “The moment of our death,”
     Jin’s eyebrows crash. He suddenly feels uneasy with the sudden words.
     …
     “Yes, I do like reading novels,” he answers Jess with a weird face.
     “Erm, would you mind… err… recommend me some novels that I should read?” Jess draws out a beautiful smile.
     “Jess? Reading books? She can’t even handle a stanza of poem!”
     “Well… Okay, then. Let’s see,” the librarian interlocked his fingers together and leans his forehead on them. He closes his eyes, trying to remember some titles from recent novels he had read.
     Jess keep her eyes on him. Jess doesn’t know why, seeing him with that posture, makes her eyes couldn’t stop staring him. That librarian is not bad though. He may look nerdy with that slick back hairstyle but his gigantic spectacles and puffy eyes neutralizes his look. He looks neat even though he has facial hair. Serious talk, he’s not that bad.
     The only problem is their , that’s all.
     “Since you’re a teenager…” he suddenly voices out, making Jess who is staring him startled. Jess fixes her posture.
     “Teenagers are more into romance genre of novels, especially girls. So, there’s this one I have in my favourite shelf…” he pulls out a novel from stacks of books in the shelf near him.
     “The title is ‘The Unexpected’. It’s a story of a girl who has always kept her heart for a boy with hope that he will accept it one day, even though the boy already accept other girl’s heart, she’s still won’t give up with him…”
     Oh, wow. When you found out that someone ‘novel-ed’ your life.
     “But, she didn’t see the unexpected things that was coming. Her till-the-world-ends partner was actually right in front of her. She just too blinded of love. But, there’s no one to blame. No one expect the unexpected right? Who expected that her true love was actually the person she never talks to? The man, her true love, himself, also did not expect that he’ll fall for her at their really first conversation,” he continues again.
     Jess doesn’t know why, she could feel her heart, for the first time, is thumping loudly and rapidly.
     “Well, everybody hate spoilers, here, if you want to read it,” he hands the novel to Jess.
     “I love spoilers,” Jess grins.
     Good, Jess. You’re doing great.
     “Fine, then,” he sneers.
     Jess places her elbow on the desk and lean her chin on her palm. The librarian just snickers with her sudden action.
     “The girl realised and chased her true love back when her true love already gave up with everything. But, when he knew about that, he tried to search for her, but he was also too late,”
     “Why? The girl found someone else?”
     “No,” he shooks.
     “Then?”
     “It was too late for him to come for her back, because she’s not and will never be there to accept him again,” he is not being clear, instead he is hinting clues.
     Jess thinks and thinks hardly until she gets her answer. She doesn’t know if it’s the right answer or not and she’s hesitating, because she doesn’t want it to end like that.
     Because that is her story!
     “She’s… dead, wasn’t she?”