Lean On Me

Orphanage Lovers
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 54- Lean On Me

“Please…” Wonwoo begged.

“Wonwoo-ah. I promised your mother…to not tell you until you graduate from high school…” Mr Choi said, not knowing whether to say or not.

“She wouldn’t know…I’ll pretend like I don’t know. Please…” Wonwoo begged once more, this time going on his knees. Mr Choi quickly got up, pulling Wonwoo up. After hesitating for a few moments, Mr Choi let out a deep sigh.

“S-she…only had a few months to live…when she brought you here…she had stomach cancer…stage 3. And she didn’t have much money left for treatment…her last wish was to see you in a good family. And so when you got adopted by the Jungs, she stopped taking medication…and a week later…she was gone…” Mr Choi broke the news to Wonwoo. After 8 years. Wonwoo finally found out the truth about why he was brought to the orphanage. After thinking that it was because his mother didn’t love him. He was wrong. She loved him too much. To the extent that she didn’t want him to suffer. Wonwoo’s world was falling apart.

“W-wonwoo…are you okay? You look pale…” Mr Choi asked, as he pulled the boy into a hug.

“She didn’t want you to know at first…because she knew you would want to find her. And it would make it harder for her to leave.” Mr Choi explained, rubbing Wonwoo’s back. The boy was crying, letting out loud cries as droplets of tears fell down his cheeks. Now, Wonwoo wished his mother left him because she didn’t love him anymore. Because that way, he could still find her somewhere.

“W-where…?” Wonwoo whispered, looking at Mr Choi with hopeful eyes.

“If I give it to you…promise me. Study hard and always listen to the Jungs…because that’s what your mother wants…is that okay Wonwoo?” Mr Choi asked. Wonwoo couldn’t think of anything, nodding his head. Mr Choi scribbled an address on a piece of paper, passing it to Wonwoo.

“Try to take it easy…I know it’s hard to accept this fact. But your mother loves you a lot.” Mr Choi reassured, patting Wonwoo’s back. The boy thanked Mr Choi, tears still glistening in his eyes as he left the room.

“What did you guys talk about?” Soonyoung asked as Wonwoo walked out. The taller ignored the question, picking up his bag walking towards the door.

“Where are you going? Wait up!” Jun called out, but he got held back by Jihoon.

“Let him be. He’ll tell us when he wants to…” Jihoon whispered when Jun looked at him.

“Hyung…where are you going? Can I go with you?” Chan asked, tugging Wonwoo’s sleeves.

“…maybe another day…” Wonwoo replied with a shaky voice, opening the door. As he was about to walk out, someone stood in his way. Mingyu.

“W-wonnie? When did you get back? Can we talk? Please?” Mingyu begged. Wonwoo rolled his eyes. This was not how things was supposed to turn out. Everything was going the wrong way now…Instead of replying, Wonwoo walked off. Mingyu stood at the door, looking confused. He was begging for Wonwoo to come home, but when the older did, he couldn’t look into his eyes without having the want to break down. He didn’t know how to explain his dumb self.

“What are you waiting for?! Hurry follow him you idiot! It’s something about his mother…he’ll need someone…” Jihoon sighed, hitting Mingyu’s shoulder. The younger’s eyes widened, but he did what Jihoon said nonetheless. He ran after Wonwoo, but he kept a safe distance. Wonwoo was way too distracted now to realize that someone was following him. Wonwoo was walking really quickly, tripping over his own foot. But Mingyu’s reaction was faster. He grabbed the older’s waist in time, making his presence known.

“Careful. I know you’re feeling frustrated…but be careful…” Mingyu whispered into Wonwoo’s ear. Usually, Wonwoo would be flushing red and be thanking every god out there for Mingyu being there for him. But now, he wasn’t thinking straight. He pulled away from Mingyu, stopping at the bustop, waiting for a bus. Mingyu didn’t know where they were headed to, he was just following Wonwoo. The two sat in silence, until a bus arrived. Wonwoo stood up, boarding the bus and Mingyu followed suit.

“You dyed your hair…? It looks nice…” Mingyu said, as he reached out to arrange Wonwoo’s tousled hair, but the older flinched.

“Don’t…touch me…” Wonwoo whispered, his voice hoarse. Mingyu bit his lower lip. He got it. Wonwoo was putting up a cold wall between them, not wanting any interaction. After several stops, Wonwoo pressed the bell and both boys alighted. Wonwoo then walked towards a counter and asked the person which bus could bring him to his destination.

“Can I get…two tickets?” Wonwoo said, pulling out his wallet and giving the person exact change. Mingyu was watching from the benches, not knowing what was going on. He stood up when he saw Wonwoo walking towards him. He took a few steps backwards, and he stared at the ticket Wonwoo was holding out to him. Mingyu raised an eyebrow and looked at Wonwoo and when he didn’t take the ticket, Wonwoo pulled his hand and gave him the ticket before walking away. Mingyu looked at the ticket in his hand. What…is this? Isn’t he supposed to be angry at me…? Then why did he get me a ticket?

“Hurry along…the bus is leaving soon. Don’t be a burden and make the bus driver wait…” Wonwoo called out without turning back, but Mingyu knew. That Wonwoo was talking to him. And he caught up with the other, a grin plastered to his face. This was enough to make Mingyu happy. To be around Wonwoo, protecting him and following him around. It was better than being alone, not knowing what the other was up to. They boarded the second bus, and it was bringing them away from the city.

“Where are we going? Is it somewhere far?” Mingyu asked, looking at Wonwoo when they have settled down in their seats.

“If you don’t want to go you can leave. No one’s stopping you.” Wonwoo replied coldly, looking out of the window.

“I would never choose to be away from you…Wherever you go…I will follow you.” Mingyu said, placing his hand on Wonwoo’s. This time, the older didn’t pull away. Mingyu smiled to himself. It was a sign that Wonwoo was slowly breaking down his cold façade again wasn’t it? The bus moved off and Wonwoo was gradually dozing off. He placed his head against the window, knocking against it whenever the bus hit a bump. Seeing how the older was fast asleep, Mingyu gently guided Wonwoo’s head onto his shoulder. He caressed the older’s hair, touching the sides. It was different, feeling prickly as it had been shaved. Mingyu liked Wonwoo’s old hair better. It was soft and smooth. If only this moment could last forever…with you leaning your head on my shoulder…Mingyu closed his eyes and he laid his head on top of Wonwoo’s.

“Boys! We’re here! Wake up!” The driver called out, waking both Wonwoo and Mingyu. The older moved his head first, hitting Mingyu’s that was on top his.

“Ouch!” Mingyu pouted, rubbing his head. Wonwoo looked apologetic at first, but when he realized that the driver was waiting for them to get off, he quickly got out of his seat, passing in front of Mingyu.

“Wonnie! Wait for me!” Mingyu whined, as he followed the boy off the bus. There was about another 2 hours before the sun set, and Wonwoo fastened his pace and it soon turned into a run. Mingyu was chasing after Wonwoo, calling out to the older.

“Are we there yet? I’m so tired after all that walking and climbing…ouch! Give some warning before you stop please…” Mingyu complained, as he bumped his nose into the back of Wonwoo’s head as the older came to an abrupt stop. Mingyu looked at the sign, Changwon Cemetery.

“W-what are we…doing here?” Mingyu asked as he looked at Wonwoo.

“If you don’t want to call this place your home. I suggest you shut your mouth until we leave.” Wonwoo glared at Mingyu before entering. Mingyu covered his mouth with his hand, following Wonwoo quietly behind. But of course, Kim Mingyu can never be quiet for long. As they were walking along the pathway, Mingyu was busy stepping on the dried leaves and branches, having fun whenever they crackled under his feet. When Wonwoo didn’t say anything, Mingyu kicked a pebble around, imagining it as a soccer ball.

“Will you stop already?” Wonwoo rolled his eyes, as he turned around to see Mingyu having fun.

“Sorry……” Mingyu apologized, his head hanging low.

“…what a wet blanket…” Mingyu whispered to himself as he kept his hands behind himself. Wonwoo heard what Mingyu said, but he chose to ignore the younger. After so much walking, Wonwoo finally stopped in front of a tombstone. Jeon Yeon Woo. Mingyu’s eyes widened as he read the name. This must be…his mother. Wonwoo kneeled down in front of the tombstone, as his finger ran across his mother’s picture. She looked exactly how I remembered her to be…

“Why…did you do that?” Wonwoo asked out loud.

“H-huh? W-what?” Mingyu stuttered, thinking that the question was directed to him.

“Why didn’t you tell me the truth…all these years…I thought you left me because…you didn’t love me…” Wonwoo croaked, his hand still on the tombstone.

“Oh…” Mingyu realized Wonwoo wasn’t talking to him. The older was speaking to his mother.

“I know you didn’t want me to be sad…but we could have spent more time together…just before you left…” Wonwoo cried, as he sat down.

“You were slogging your entire life…just so that I could live in a comfortable ho

Please log in to read the full chapter