An Unlucky Start

Orphanage Lovers
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 11- An Unlucky Start

Meanwhile in school…

“Wah…Seokmin-ah. There’s so much to be done. When will we even finish?!” Mingyu complained while filing some documents into a ring folder. “Ayyy. We barely started and you’re already complaining? Does Kim Mingyu give up so easily?” Seokmin asked, not even looking up from filing. “Of course not! The great Kim Mingyu would never give up so easily. But…Seokmin-ah. I already have 2 papercuts…” Mingyu whined, showing the small cuts on his hands. “Aigooo. This must be because you hardly do chores at the orphanage. You always push your work to Soonyoung hyung. You need to stop bullying him, do some chores yourself.” Seokmin said, pushing Mingyu’s hands away. “Hmph! You don’t even care about me do you! All you care about is Soonyoung hyung. Soonyoung hyung this, Soonyoung hyung that.” Mingyu teased. Seokmin blushed, stacking a pile of paper in front of Mingyu’s face. “Stop talking and do your work. Seriously. I’m the only one doing work here?!” Seokmin didn’t want to continue the conversation with Mingyu. He would lose for sure. The two the continued filing the paperwork, hoping they could go home earlier if they were done. “Ahhhhhh! Finally. I’m done!” Mingyu cheered, stretching his body. He had never felt so accomplished in his life before. “Wow. Well done boys. I must say you did a good job. It’s only 5pm and you’re all done. You boys can leave now! Get some rest. Thank you for your hard work today.” Ms Ahreum said, patting the boys on their backs. Seokmin and Mingyu thanked her before grabbing their bags and started to walk home. “What do you think the rest are doing?” Mingyu asked, trying to fill the awkward silence. “I have no idea. But I really need to get a long nice shower and sleep early.” Seokmin replied, yawning. It was only the first day and the boys were already this tired, how were they going to survive till next week?

“Hyungs! We’re back! Did you guys miss us?” Mingyu announced the moment he opened the door. He was greeted with silence. He expected the others to welcome them home, but no one seemed to be around. That was weird. Mingyu and Seokmin walked into the living room as they heard the TV sounds. They were welcomed by the sight of 5 boys lazing around. They were scattered around. Wonwoo and Jihoon were laid flat on the sofa, Chan and Seungkwan were just lying on the big beanbags whole Soonyoung was just spacing out on the ground in front of Wonwoo. Seokmin could sense that the atmosphere was a little weird. Something must have happened when they were not here. Seokmin scanned around, and he noticed that Seungcheol was not around. He carefully observed each and every one of them, and he realized that all of them had puffy red eyes. Almost like they had cried quite badly hours ago. “What is this…all of you were here but you guys didn’t welcome us home? Just sitting here watching TV? Didn’t you guys miss us…” Mingyu pouted and whined. Mingyu really couldn’t read atmospheres. Almost immediately, Seokmin elbowed Mingyu in his side, asking him to stay quiet. Mingyu had a quizzical look. What? He mouthed. Seokmin pointed to the others, before Mingyu took a better look at each of them. Mingyu shrugged before walking off to his own room. Oh my god. Mingyu is really bad at reading situations… Seokmin mentally thought, before face palming himself. Seokmin decided to take a shower before probing Chan. Chan would definitely tell him something. They’re brothers after all. “Hey guys…I know you’re all still probably upset over what I said just now. Just ignore it like always. Please. Just don’t let the other two know what happen. They’re the greatest drama kings amongst us. You know they would create havoc if they knew why everyone’s in such states…I’m really sorry guys…” Jihoon spoke up as soon as Seokmin and Mingyu left the living room.

“Yeah…Let’s just put everything behind us and pretend nothing ever happened alright. We should live in the present moment just like what Seungcheol hyung told us.” Wonwoo backed Jihoon up. Jihoon gave a weak smile before nodding at Wonwoo. He was grateful that Wonwoo was there to help him. The silence and tense atmosphere was driving him crazy. “Hyung. It’s alright. Don’t have to apologize. We’re being really silly right now. We knew from the start that someone was bound to get adopted. And we should actually be really happy if that happens right…” Seungkwan said, a small smile forming on his face. Soonyoung nodded, agreeing with what Seungkwan just said. And Chan? He was too young to even understand. He just didn’t want to be separated from any of his hyungs. The four of them then sat up, determined on keeping the happenings a secret. They then a video game to make the atmosphere happier. And it sure did. Within minutes, laughters could be heard coming from the living room. The boys were going to leave the adoption topic at the back of their heads. They were going to live in the moment. “Boys! Come have dinner now!” Mrs Choi called from the kitchen. All of them gathered there, sitting at their respective seats. “So. Did anything interesting happen this week? Inside school or out.” Mrs Choi asked. The smiles on boys’ face start to melt away slowly, except for Mingyu and Seokmin. “Did something happen today? Why do the 5 of you look upset? Mingyu and Seokmin. Did you guys play a prank on them?” Mrs Choi asked, giving them the ‘What-did-you-do-now’ look. “No way! Seokmin and I were busy doing work in school.” Mingyu said, holding up two of his hands. “Mrs Choi. Nothing happened. We’re just a little tired today. That’s all. Nothing to do with Seokmin and Mingyu.” Soonyoung spoke up, reassuring her. Mrs Choi wasn’t too convinced but she could tell the boys didn’t want to tell her anything. When they’re ready and want to, they will tell her eventually. But maybe just not now.

The boys then all went back to their rooms after dinner, some to do their work, others to mull over the mess left over from the hurricane of emotions. “Hyung. What did you guys do this afternoon? Why does everyone look so…dead? Even Soonyoung hyung and Seungkwan.” Mingyu asked as the two stepped into their shared room. Wonwoo let out a sigh, as he sat down on his bed cross legged. Mingyu joined him on his bed, sitting in front of Wonwoo. “Mingyu-ah. What were you and Seokmin doing in school just now? Don’t lie to me.” Wonwoo questioned, looking at Mingyu straight in the eye. “N-Nothing. I told you. W-we needed to help the t-teachers do something. Stop staring at me like I did something wrong…” Mingyu was nervous as Wonwoo stared at him. “Didn’t you and Seokmin say it was because you didn’t do well on a test? And your teacher wanted to help you?” Wonwoo questioned. Wonwoo had great memory, and he knew Mingyu was lying at this very moment. The stuttering just gave him away. . How could I have forgotten the excuse I came up with. Ah. Kim Mingyu. Why why why! Mingyu mentally reprimanded hi

Please log in to read the full chapter