Gonna Be Missed

More Than A Feeling
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Next special occasion to occur in the Do family is the triplet’s first birthday. It’s a very special moment for both Ahreum and Kyungsoo for having to manage bringing up healthy, lively, bouncing baby boys at this rate. Having them as pre-terms and now looking at them being chubby and happy on their first birthday is something to feel very proud of.

They have just ended the traditional ceremony for the triplets and they’re now headed home. Old and young Mr. and Mrs. Do were all together in the van with the triplets who are still wearing their adorable hanboks.

Kyungsoo’s driving, his dad is seated beside her while the two Mrs. Do’s are at the backseat of the SUV together with the triplets on their respective travel carriers. “You two okay there?” Mr. Do coos while turning to the back. Ahreum and her mother-in-law smiled in response while nodding. Next looking at Kyungsoo who’s driving, he pats him on the shoulder. “Four months to go. We should hang out a lot more, son. Okay? Let’s have a nice drink tonight.” He suggests in which Kyungsoo responded with a chuckle before nodding. “Of course, Appa.” He answers and glanced at the rear mirror to check on the backseat.

He saw how Ahreum looked down to her lap right away at the mention of his enlistment again. “Ahreum-ah.” Mr. Do turns to the back again. “Ne, Appa?” The woman asks with a forced smile as she looks up again. “Are you really sure that you don’t want to come to drop him off on that day though? You have four months to reconsider.” He asks. “Appa. . .” Kyungsoo mumbles knowing the topic alone makes his wife gloomy. “Okay, never mind what I said. Let’s just enjoy today, it’s my three boys’ birthday. Ne?” Mr. Do just grins while looking sweetly at the triplets’ direction. Ahreum smiled solemnly as she looks down to her sons and wipes their mouths with the towel.

So as planned, the remaining of the day was a simple and intimate celebration of the triplets’ birthday. . .

Later on that late night after that whole day of birthday ceremonies, Ahreum finished off on washing the triplets up, dressing them up and finally putting them to sleep – it was difficult to make them sleep this time because they were all tired. She tucks them nicely and comfortably on the foam bed just beside their bed before gently standing up. She rubs her tired eyes while walking out of the room. Once she was out, she saw Kyungsoo cleaning up the mess on the low table just in front of their couches where he and his father hung out and drank. “Go wash up now, I’ll clean that up myself. You’re drunk.” She speaks making Kyungsoo look up with his groggy eyes. “No, it’s okay. . .” He mumbles while putting the plates in a pile.

Ahreum takes a deep breath before walking to the living room. She grabs the plates from her husband with one hand while reaching her other up to his head. “I said wash up now.” She repeats and pats him on the head. Instead of following what she said, Kyungsoo only grabs the plates from her again and puts it back down the table. Then pulls her close by the waist, leaning down. “No, you’re drunk. Wash up first.” Ahreum pulls away even before he could kiss her. “Tell me the truth, do you hate me for leaving?” Kyungsoo finally speaks up with his shaky voice. “What? Of course not, Oppa you’re just drunk.” Ahreum answers before grabbing both of his hands to drag him but he didn’t budge.

“I’m so scared.” Kyungsoo’s tears began crawling down his cheeks while cupping her face. Right now, he couldn’t control his feelings at all and all the fears that he’s been bottling up inside are coming out. Ahreum closed her eyes trying her best to stay calm as she finally hugged him while rubbing his back. “I’m so scared to leave you and the boys. . . I’m so scared that their feelings for me will fall apart because I won’t be around most of their time growing up more. . . I-I’m so scared that you might get tired of waiting. And I’m scared for myself, I don’t h-have any idea on what’s going to happen there.” He starts counting every little fear that he has inside.

“Oppa. . .” Ahreum calls while sniffing. She looks up to hold her tears and continues patting his back. “One and a half to two years. . . I don’t know if I can do that. I’m so scared, Ahreum.” he cries while burying his face on her neck. And that’s when Ahreum failed to hold her tears and she begins crying as well. She puts a hand on the back of her husband’s head as she sobs hard. She was taken aback at how he’s crying right now because he has never shown great fear nor any kind of strong reaction about the enlistment ever since he mentioned about it. “Don’t worry about us okay? It’ll be fine and don’t say that their feelings will fall apart or forget about you. They won’t, trust me. I know they’re just babies right now and that’s what you’re worried about but I’ll try my best for them to grow up with their improving memories each day still knowing a lot about you and recognizing you well. Okay?” She reassures and pulls away just enough for her to cup his face.

“Okay?” She repeats and wipes his tears. Kyungsoo’s face is already very red being both intoxicated and also because of crying. At this kind of time, Ahreum just wanted to be her usual weak self, she just wants to cry the hell out of her, to exaggerate on things, to over-think everything, to worry and some more but she knows it wouldn’t do anything and would even worsen the fear that her husband is feeling. As much as she can, every single day, for the remaining weeks that he has with them, she wants to show him that she will be alright and that she can handle it.

Only she knows herself how scared she is of everything. Not only parting with him but also having to live the next one or two years mostly alone and waiting. Also because she would have to go back to work real soon and that’s another thing she worries about, her time with the triplets would have to be planned out well. She needs to work since Kyungsoo won’t be working for a little while.

She needs to keep everything stable while he’s away and technically jobless at those periods of time.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter