24..

Of Truth and Love

Hyoseob got into another quarrel with Zion.T. He felt betrayed after his hyung finally decided to leave Amoeba Culture. Elo, Loco and Gray were all together at AOMG. And here he is and Zion.T parting ways. He doesn't have any right to get mad but he has always thought they were tight. Then here goes his hyung pointing at Crush for being too close with the people from Club Eskimo. It's not as if YG would ever help him too much.

"Whatever happened to being independent, huh?" he thought leaving a groan as he pulled up in the parking space in front of the apartment.

He tried to breathe and think before stepping out of the car. At least he has a reason to smile and be happy when he gets up to Chahye's apartment. He got off the car and walked all the way to her place. He knocked on the door twice but no one opened it. He sent her a message telling her he was at the door but got no reply. He held on the door knob and tried to turn it. It was open. It was unusual that Chahye would leave the door to her apartment open or unlocked. She never did it.

He opened it and stepped inside, calling out her name before closing it behind him. He walked over to the living room and saw Chahye sitting on the couch hugging a pillow to her face, knees against her chest. And as faint as it could be, he heard her sniffles being muffled by the pillow. He ran to her and made her look at him.

"Are you all right, Chahye? What happened?" he asked frantically. Her eyes were red and he knew she had been crying for a while now.
"I'm all right," she said with uncertainty in her eyes.
"Are you sure? Why have you been crying?" he asked.
Chahye pushed his arms away from her. "I just remembered something," she said hugging her knees, avoiding Hyoseob's eyes.
"Chahye, you don't have to cry over that," he said trying to reassure her, knowing what might have visited her memory.
"I just remembered. I'm all right," she insisted, sniffing.
Hyoseob looked at her and sighed. She never talked about what made her cry. But he was always sure it was about two things: her brother and father. "Why haven't you gotten ready yet? You have court today, remember?" he said sitting right across her.
Chahye turned her head and looked at him. "Do we have to leave this early? It's scheduled 1pm," she said.
"Well, I thought you'd like to have lunch first," smiled Hyoseob.
Chahye just looked at him then sighed. She let her legs go and stood up. "I'll just take a quick shower," she said as she walked over to her room.
"Have you had coffee yet?" asked Hyoseob.
"Huh? Uhm.. No. Why?" said Chahye looking back at him from the door.
"Your hangover? You drank with Dean and the others last night, right?" he asked smiling.
Chahye sighed and looked away. "Yeah. Right. I... Let's go get some later," she said faking a smile before closing the door.

A few minutes later, Chahye walked out of her room and into the bathroom. Hyoseob just watched her. He thought of going inside her room and wait for her to come back. He wanted to lie down on her bed actually. Driving a car usually takes a toll on your back. When he walked inside, he saw the sheets on her bed left unmade. It was unusual Chahye would leave it like that. She was very organized and neat in the house. He walked over to it and lifted the top sheet but what he saw made him shiver.

There was a small pool of blood right in the middle of the bed. At first, he thought it was the result of a girl's usual monthly cycle. He sees the same predicament with his sister's bed. But something about it made Hyoseob think of something else. He took his phone out and dialed Jiho's number. He put the phone against his ear before kneeling on the bed to get a closer look at the stain.

"Hello. What's up? Are you out on lunch with Chahye yet?"
"No. She wasn't ready yet when I came here."
"Oh. All right. Why did you call then?"
"Because I think you need to come here and see what I'm seeing."
"What is it? Is Chahye all right?"
"Actually, she doesn't look all right."
"Hyoseob hyung, speak up. What happened?"
"Just come here, all right? Chahye's fine. She's been crying when I arrived. And something tells me something not so nice happened last night."

They ended the call soon enough and Hyoseob was able to put things in place. Chahye came back from the bathroom and caught him sitting on her desk inside her room, his phone in his hand. She was now wearing a white sweater over gray pants, her hair wrapped in a towel.

"What are you doing in here?" she asked.
"Just looked for a piece of paper to write on. Thanks," he said waving a piece of paper from a notebook on her desk.
"You're welcome," she said walking over to her closet.
"Are you sure it's okay for you to wear gray pants?" asked Hyoseob.
"Yeah. Why? Don't they match?" she asked looking at herself.
"They match. I was just worried since it's your red day. Right? I mean, there was blood on your bed," said Hyoseob standing up.
"Huh?!" reacted Chahye. She looked at her bed and saw the top sheet turned over. He must have seen it, she thought. "Uhm.. Yeah. Right. But... I'm wearing a napkin now. Don't worry," she lied.
"Okay. I'll wait for you outside now," smiled Crush as he stood up and stepped out of her room.

Two hours later, Hyoseob and Chahye arrived at the court house after having lunch at Itaewon. While Chahye talked to Jiho's mom and her lawyer, the three went out of the building to smoke before the session starts.

"So what do you think?" asked Hyoseob.
"Looks like it. I'm disgusted," said Jisuk.

While Chahye and Hyoseob had lunch, the brothers went to her apartment and checked out what he told them over the phone. Jisuk obviously didn't like the idea that there was blood and all over her sheets. Not to mention them not knowing who the guy would be, unless she used a toy. But that was unlikely. Although Jisuk was pissed off, he tried his best to think straight. Today was not the right day to confront Chahye on other matters.

"Does she have a boyfriend? Someone we don't know?" asked Hyoseob.
"That's impossible. If she does have one, at least me and Jiho would know," said Jisuk.
"If it was someone else, she should have told us as well," said Hyoseob. "I can't believe this."
"One more thing we couldn't understand was the Plan-B box we saw in her living room," said Jisuk.
"Plan-B? The after- drug?" said Hyoseob raising his eyesbrows at him.
"And a bunch of condoms," said Jiho finally speaking up.
"Okay. This is getting even weirder," said Hyoseob.
"Who was she with last night? Any of you know?" asked Jisuk. Hyoseob huffed and shook his head. 
Jiho shook his head as well and put his hands in his pockets. "We better get back inside. Hearing is about to start," he said walking away from them. Hyoseob and Jisuk breathed deep from the cigarettes in their fingers and threw the butts on the pot at the foot of the stairs.

The courtroom designated for this session was one of the smallest in the building. Nothing too big were supposed to be talked about today. The scheduled case today was about Daejung's custody. The prosecutor sat on the head of the table. Chahye's lawyer and the lawyer from child services sat on each side of the prosecutor. Jiho's mom sat beside Chahye, holding her hand. The people currently with custody over Daejung sat across them on the table. Chahye dare not look at them. Despite being their relatives, her dad's sister obviously looked like they didn't want to do anything with her.

Jisuk sat beside Chahye on the long table while Hyoseob and Jiho sat near the door, not to become nuisances to the proceedings. Hyoseob has been noticing how Jiho was uncomfortable ever since they arrived at the court house.

"Do you know who it is, Jiho?" asked Hyoseob.
"Huh?" asked Jiho.
"Do you know who Chahye's boyfriend is? Is it Dean?" asked Hyoseob.
Jiho looked at him and sighed. "I know they're not together. But..." he said.
"But we both know they were together last night," said Hyoseob matter-of-factly, clenching his hands into fists.
"Don't tell hyung. He learns it's Dean or anyone else close to us, we're all dead," said Jiho under his breath, looking in front as he saw the prosecutor stand up to get everyone's attention.