27..

Of Truth and Love

"I'll try to meet up at lunch with you guys," said Chahye as she cleaned the table. Their friends came earlier than expected and even had breakfast with them. BeWhy offered to do the dishes with her but waved him off when she realized they would be late.

"Thanks for the breakfast, Chahye. It's been a while since I ate with you," said CJamm.
"You're welcome," smiled Chahye.
"We better go. You still have to get ready for your enrollment," said Mino looking at his wristwatch.
"Sure. You go ahead," she said wiping her hands with the towel hanging from the fridge.
"We'll call you, Chahye," said Andup from the door.
"This would have been much more exciting if you came along," said Incredivle as he tied his shoelaces.
"This would have been much more exciting if Jihoon brought his ing car. ing rich kids never spent time with me," said CJamm complaining.
"I wouldn't have wanted to spent time with you even if I was broke," said Andup laughing.
"Then why did you all end up as friends?" asked Daejung.
"That my boy," said Mino putting a hand over his head. "Is a mystery even I have no answers to," he laughed.

Chahye walked them to the door and said goodbye. The group walked to the bus stop. "First lesson for the day, Daejung-ah. How to get to Hanlim on a bus," said Incredivle as they got on one.
"You should always take the seats at the back because that's where you get the best of friends," said Mino.
"How come?" said Daejung sitting down.
"That's how he bothered me at school," said Incredivle. "He said he saw me on the bus almost everyday and he liked my style. Next thing you knew, we became best of friends."
"How did you and CJamm hyung become friends?" Daejung asked BeWhy.
"We were classmates. I wasn't really smart and CJamm was even worse than me so I had no choice," said BeWhy.
"All of you look at me like I'm some delinquent out of jail," said CJamm when he noticed everyone looking at him with a smirk on their face.
"How about you, hyung?" Daejung asked Andup.
"Well, I'm from Daegu but when we moved to Seoul before my dad died, I met Mino because of Zico hyung. I met these other dorks and it was history," explained Andup.
"And you, hyung?" Daejung asked Hyuk.
"Me?" he said pointing to himself.
"He wasn't really our friend back then," said BeWhy.
"I was part of the top class with your sister and I didn't have a lot of friends. I just go home after class, review classes then practice the guitar. But Chahye... She was our ace and she had weird friends," he said pointing at Mino and Incredivle. "And since we were close, I had to meet them in the end. I met Inwoo and the others, too. Started the band for the festival. I sort of regretted meeting CJamm though," he said laughing.
"Why is it always me huh?! Why me?!" said CJamm standing up.
"I hope I find cool friends at school, too," smiled Daejung.
"There are much more cooler people at Hanlim, believe me," said Mino.
"Yeah. We're all from there so we can vouche for that," said BeWhy doing a high-five with Incredivle.

Chahye was all ready and grabbed her bag from the table when her phone rang. It was BeWhy.

"Hey Byungyoon. How's everything?" she asked locking the door of her apartment.
"Everything's cool. There isn't much people yet so we took Daejung around and guess what!"
"What? What happened?!" she asked when he heard shouting from the other line.
"Shin Dongsun seonsaengnim is still teaching and he's looking for you!" said BeWhy.
"Is that Chahye?! Is that Chahye?!" she heard CJamm on the other line. "ShinPig saw Daejung-ah and he wants him in his class. Your dongsaeng is doomed!"
She heard CJamm start to laugh so hard with the others. Shin Dongsun was the 11th year class A adviser who taught science. He was a very big man that walked really slow and barely even taught anything properly other than give out homework and tons of exams. Chahye hated classes with him. If they didn't study on their own back then, they wouldn't even had passed. The last sections had given him a nickname that seemed to have stuck until now, "ShinPig".
"Don't even tell Daejung about that name you gave him," said Chahye as she walked down the stairs.
"Sorry, Chahye. CJamm and Mino are already telling him stories," said BeWhy laughing.
"Is Jihoon there?" she asked.
"Yeah. And Inwoo. It's a reunion. You should have really come here. It's fun," he said.
"I wish, too. See you," said Chahye ending the call.

She was out of the compound and walking towards the bus stop when she saw a familiar car parked nearby. She stopped and watched, a familiar stirring in her heart starting to kick in. A man was standing just against it, a phone in his hand. He turned around and saw her. Chahye decided to continue walking and just avoid him since that was the only way she could get to the bus stop. But he blocked her.

"We need to talk," said Dean standing in front of her.
"I need to get somewhere," said Chahye not even looking at him.
"No. We're going to talk. Now," he said stepping aside just as she did.
"We don't have anything to talk about. Get out of my way," said Chahye walking away.
"Oh. We have a lot to talk about," said Dean with a grin.
"I don't have time to bull with you, Dean," said Chahye.
But he grabbed her arm, stopping her from getting any farther. "Unless you want a scene and make my fangirls hate you for even being this close to me, you better start talking to me. I have no plans in letting you go anyway. Get in the car," he said in a warning tone, dragging her closer to his car.
Chahye stopped and glared at him. She removed her arm away from him, irritated that he used his crazy fangirls to scare her. As if she would even care about mental people going crazy over a man like him. She kept her gaze at him, not even flashing his usual angelic smile. She removed her backpack and suddenly threw it at him. "You want to talk?! You want to take me somewhere?! Okay. Let's go. But make sure I get enrolled in the university before this day ends," she snarled at him.
"What?!" said Dean. "I'm not gonna babysit you. I don't know anything about this stuff."
"You want this, right? Own me? Make me your girl? Well then. Indulge me," said Chahye stepping closer to him, their bodies just inches away. "I'm a scholar, Dean. If I don't get enrolled today, I might not be able to study this semester. Will you be paying for my expenses?" Chahye held her stare and Dean gave it back, not even blinking.

Deep inside, Dean was starting to get conscious as the distance between them closed in. She always had that magic that made him weak and yet excited. Without losing their gaze, Dean reached for the door of the back seat and opened it. "Get inside and I'll take you there," he said, gritting his teeth and throwing her bag inside.

Chahye took a long gaze at him before showing him a grin and sliding into the car. Dean swore her smirk turned him on. He lost the game he initially wanted to win. He got into the car, looking at his dream girl through the front view mirror. She was just sitting there, arms crossed, eyes-glaring at him. He gave that glare back, secretly wishing he could just hold her that moment and make her stop.

"Hurry up, Dean," she said looking away.
"You do realize your university is almost 12 kilometers away," he said as he started the engine, activating the GPS.
"And that's just the reason you have to hurry," blurted Chahye.

It sometimes surprises Dean how Chahye becomes aggressive, especially when it's him. And he likes it. It makes him feel as though he's seeing the real her. But he also loved seeing the happy and fun side of her. In moments where he sees her confused, scared and nervous, it always made him feel proud whenever he could paint a smile on her face.

The two stayed silent until they reached the highway into the bridge going to Gaknagu. Dean kept on stealing glances at her through the front view mirror. She avoided looking at him. Dean knew she wouldn't talk and so he started.

"Why did you do that?" he asked.
"Do what?" said Chahye in confusion.
"You know what I'm talking about," said Dean. 
"I don't," she said.
"Why did you act like that when we woke up? Didn't you like what we did?" he hesitated to ask, knowing she could be sensitive about the topic.
"Obviously," she answered deliberately making her answers short.
"You should have just told me."
"I thought I made that obvious."
"Don't you even like me back, Chahye?"
"I don't."
"Don't lie to me. I know you like me."
"Why are you even asking me then?"
"Because I want to hear it from you."
"I don't like you."
"You do."
"I don't."
"Well, I do."
"Dean, please."
" it! I think I even fell in love with you."
"That was just , Dean."
"For me, that was even more than that."
"Don't fool yourself."
"I'm not fooling around, Chahye!"

The streetlight turned red and the car came to a full stop. Dean turned around and looked straight at her, their eyes holding each others' eyes.

"Listen, I never ever told you seriously like I should. But I like you. I told you time and again. I want you to be mine. You're all mine. It might have been a crush. It might just be because you're goddamn beautiful in my eyes that I want you all to myself. I want to see you all around me. Your hands all over me. You're right. I wanted to own you. But that was before I started taking you home. That was before we started calling each other as ami. Chahye. I fell for you. I no longer just want to hold you. I want to finally be able to understand you. I want to know you. I want to be the man to finally make you smile genuinely. I want you to understand that I care enough for you. I want you to know that you can trust me. I know I'm a jerk. I really am. But it. I know I wouldn't be this crazy if I didn't love you so much."

Dean said all of those without pause, without doubt, without hesitation, without losing her gaze. He made sure she listened. He made sure she hears everything he wanted to tell her, everything coming from his heart. And she did. But she didn't show any emotion.

Chahye blinked twice, raising her hand and pointing past Dean's face. "It's green now," she said.
"Huh?!" wondered Dean.
"Get back on the wheel, Dean. The light's already green," said Chahye sternly just as the car behind them honked at them.
"Right. Right," said Dean sitting back and shifting the gear.

Chahye huffed at his actions and crossed her arms again. Dean tried to stay focused on the road as they started to enter the avenue leading to Seoul University's first gate. Chahye caught a glance of him through the front view mirror. Dean was catching his breath. Although it was faint, she knew his cheeks were turning red. Even though she tried not do it, her lips still formed a smile, a faint one that Dean wouldn't notice.

"I'm sorry, by the way," said Chahye unsure why she said it.
"Huh? For what?" he asked, his eyes still on the road.
"For... For everything," she said.

And there it was again, Dean thought, her natural good side, that side of her that stays nice no matter what you did to her. She could get mad at him, at anyone, but after that, she would always be nice. She would always smile. She would always forgive.

"I'm sorry for screaming at you that morning. I shouldn't have... But it just... happened. I was just... I was just... Confused," she said.
Dean looked at her though the mirror and saw her looking down at her lap. "You know," started Dean. "The real reason I wanted to talk to you was to tell you that I'm sorry as well," he said. "I was still pretty much myself that night. But you were so wasted. You kept talking, shouting, you were a mess."
"You don't have to remind me. I remember most of what I did."
"So... Do you remember crying to me?"
"Shut up."
"I don't remember what exactly you said before it but you were obviously devastated at the thought of it."
"So?"
"So... I'm saying that I'm sorry I didn't listen to you that night properly. They say that real thoughts come out when you're drunk and I didn't listen. If I did, I would have understood you by now. I'm sorry."
"You shouldn't take me too seriously when I'm drunk, Dean."
"I will, next time."
"Whatever."
"And another thing... I'm sorry for taking advantage of you."
"What?"
"I'm sorry for having with you. I'm sorry for not stopping you."
"Stopping me?"
"You don't remember? You were the one who was so . You literally told me to you. You weren't even pleading or teasing. You controlled me. You grinded yourself to me."
"Stop it. I remember it. You don't need to repeat everything."
"Well, I just thought so. I really want to hate myself for letting you control me that night but it was just so ing good I couldn't stop."
"Dean... You talk too much."
"Does it bother you?"
"Uhm... Yeah..."
"I have a lot more other questions for you, Chahye. But I don't think it's proper to talk about it in this car."
"Like what? Like how you enjoyed me?! you. Don't even dare bring this up again."
"Not that. Like the things you said that night. You were talking about a doctor, your father, your brother, your mom... You said she was dead. Is that true?"

But Chahye didn't answer. She just huffed then looked outside. Dean continued driving until they entered the university gate and went looking for a free parking space.

"Well, aren't your schoolmates rich enough to have their own cars," he said after noticing the mass of cars parked, some even being luxury ones.
"It's enrollment day. Everyone would have obviously brought their cars. We go to a university where it's far from establishments and the city," said Chahye rolling her eyes at them.
"Makes me wonder. How about you then?" asked Dean as he parked the car.
"Huh? What do you mean?" asked Chahye.
"How do you get here on time? And how do you get to the cafe on time after class?" asked Dean as he unbuckled his seat belt.
"I... Someone takes me here every morning and fetches me after," she said taking her bag from beside her.
"Who? Hyoseob hyung?" smirked Dean.
"It's none of your business," she said opening the door and getting out.
Dean followed her out of the car, slamming the door shut. "I'll wait for you here," he said watching her walk away.
Chahye stopped and turned around to look at him. "What? Why?" she asked.
"I want to be the new guy to fetch you from school. I want to take you out for lunch. I'll take you home," he said smiling at her.
"Don't wait for me. I won't come," she said turning around and continued to walk quickly to the nearby building, trying to erase his smile from her head.
"I will wait for you!" he shouted.