75..

Of Truth and Love

"What? Internship here? But... What am I supposed to do?" said Chahye.
"Simple... You get to answer the advertising possibilities. You get to coordinate with possible shows. Sell Dean to the producers. You can also sell the other producers here to labels. Don't you have some rapper friends that need producers?" said Jeffrey as he turned his chair around.
"But my rapper friends don't have money to pay big producers, you know," she said.
"And that's where your job comes in. Find those that can," he smiled. "You can also choose to come to America with me and be an intern there."
"No. I want to stay here," she said sternly.
"Then say yes to this offer," smiled Jeffrey.
"What if I don't?" said Chahye crossing her arms.

Jeffrey stood up and walked around his table to face Chahye, starting their conversation in English instead.

"Look, Chahye. Didn't I tell you about this already? Dad wants you here and learn. In the future, you might own Joombas already."
"I don't want to."
"Okay. You don't want to. But at least, doing your internship here will be a lot easier than at that advertising company where you won't learn anything."
"But what about the dance team?"
"You'll officially leave it."
"But... I wanted to still dance."
"Dance... Or the chance to dance with Dean?"
"Jeffrey!"
"What?! That's a reason."
"That's not fair."
"Nothing is fair in this world."
"I just... I just don't want people to think that I got this position because of Dean."
"That won't happen, because we'll be introducing you formally to the board."

Jeffrey smiled while Chahye hung her jaw low. She huffed and could not believe what her brother said. Jeffrey was almost laughing when he decided to walk back to his chair.

"You did not just say that," she sneered.
"I just did," he answered with a teasing smile. "You better get ready because the meeting is at 3pm."
"Three... Are you crazy?! That's like an hour from now!" said Chahye.
"I know," he smiled.

~

"Board meeting today at 3pm, said Dellyboi hyung," said Jusen.
"Yeah. I heard," said Dean while on the computer.
"And guess what?" said 2xxx! getting both their attention. "Hyuk Shin is back. And I think they said they're introducing two more producers," he said.
"Aish. He should have just stayed in America," said Jusen.
"He's useless anyway," said 2xxx!
"I bet, the next thing he's gonna be doing is to take all of the credit from everything you've done for this company, Hyuk hyung," said Jusen.
"I won't let him do that," said Dean.
"Definitely don't," said Jusen.
"Will you be joining the meeting, Hyuk?" asked 2xxx!
"Of course. All of us are required to be there," he answered standing up to stretch his arms.
"I heard they found a new promotions manager," smiled Jusen. "And it's a girl."
"Where do you get all your rumors?" asked Dean.
"You know I always talk to some of the managers downstairs," the boy smiled.
"You and your ways," laughed 2xxx!

Suddenly, a knock came on their door and it opened. It was Dellyboi. "Hey. Meeting's about to start. Let's go?" he invited and they all went out.

Jin Bada was already seated at the table, his secretary beside him. Accounting, management, talent and production heads were present as well. Dean and the other producers already came in and took a seat as well. Dean bowed to Bada as he sat 5 chairs away and the older just waved him to take a seat, a smile on his face. 

Five more minutes and Hyuk Shin came in the room, an air of awkwardness following him as he sat 3 chairs away from Jin Bada. "Well, if it isn't a full audience today," said Hyuk Shin. "Where's Jeffrey?"
"I'm here!" said Jeffrey as he came through the door. "Missed me Shin?" he asked smiling.
"Barely," said Hyuk Shin with a smug smile.
"Silence," called out Jin Bada. "I've called this meeting to discuss expansion matters with everyone. So if everyone could sit down... Thank you," the old man said as the managers took their seats. Bada continued with his speech.

"As everyone knows, Universal Music has expanded its wings in Korea. More than just being a promotion team, we built up Joombas to help musicians and artists in honing their crafts and being able to support them in their endeavors. With the success of Dean's album, I believe we are finally reaching that peak we've all worked hard for. And Dean, congratulations."

Everyone clapped as he bowed and thanked Bada.

"Hyuk Shin here has requested full independence from Universal Music's name and we are already in that phase. But before we completely do so, we've decided to pull out the staff that are still under Universal Music. But to help Joombas be able to already stand on their feet, we have opened job hirings for multiple positions. The original staff are expected to train new hires to replace them after a grace period of 5 months. After which, Joombas will be hailed independent."

"I belive the accounting department already has 3 new staff and is undergoing training as we speak. Management are still in hiring stages. I hope you find good people. Talent and production have new staff already and are in training stages as well."

All the department heads nodded. Hyuk Shin nodded his in satisfaction.

"Very well," continued Bada. "Now, I want to hear our producers and what they have to say."
"What? What good is it to listen to them?" said Hyuk Shin.
"Silence," said Bada lifting a hand. "I want to listen. Dean... Maybe you have some worries," he said.
"Uhm... Not really but... I was wondering. Because I'm supposed to travel to America this weekend. During this transition, will my managers still come from Universal Music?" asked Dean.
"As of the moment, yes. I will still be your manager. But once transition is over and Joombas has its own team, your own guy, they will handle you," answered Jeffrey.
"Cool. Thanks," smiled Dean.
"I have a concern," said 2xxx! as he raised his left arm. "I should probably ask this privately but... I just noticed that my royalty pay for the last quarter hasn't reflected on my account yet." 
"Oh really? Hmm... I'll have to check on that. Thank you for bringing it up, 2xxx!" smiled the accounting head.
"Anyone else with a royalty issue?" asked Bada. But no one raised their hands. "That's fine. Check your accounts later and if there are descrepancies, please tell accounting at once."
"As part of the transition, Universal saw it good to help you guys stand alone, so we came up with a plan to give you a promotions team," said Jeffrey.
"This team will be responsible in creating opportunities for you," said Bada. "Of course, we have to be sure that once we let you go, you already have enough work to cater to everything you need."
"Because of that, we already came up with a team headed by Kim Minjung of talents, Cho Boram of relations and Jo Shinhee of media," said Jeffrey, the people called nodding and smiling.
"We also have a new addition to the team," smiled Bada. "Let her in please," he told his son.

Jeffrey stood up and went to the door. He stepped out and everyone watched. "Who is this? Why didn't I know about this?" said Hyuk Shin. Jeffrey came back inside holding a woman by her shoulder. Dean, Jusen and 2xxx! gasped and looked at each other in surprise.

Chahye was wearing a pink button up shirt over skinny black jeans and sneakers. She walked ovet to Bada and smiled. She then looked at the crowd and saw Dean and his friends. She avoided staring at him.

"Introduce yourself, dear," said Bada.
Chahye smiled. "Annyeonghaseyo. My name is Jin Chahye. Please take care of me," she said bowing.
Bada took her arm and smiled. "She is my daughter and is currently an English language major at Seoul University. She will be handling artist promotion here," he said.
"Your daughter? I didn't know you had one more child," said Hyuk Shin.
"It's her first time to be introduced publicly," said Bada.
"Aren't you one of the dancers for Dean?" asked Minjung.
"I am," answered Chahye. "I was offered this position to help, and also for my internship."
"Internship eh. Are you even sure you can handle the dynamic world of the entertainment world?" asked Hyuk Shin.
"She's from Seoul University. She certainly is smart and capable of anything," said one of the account managers.
"Thank you," smiled Chahye. "But other than that, I believe I can be capable of the responsibilities I will face. I don't know much of the entertainment industry yet, but there isn't a little more studying can't fix," she continued smiling at Hyuk Shin.
"And as a dancer, I have heard of very good things about Chahye towards work. She practices after their schedule. And even when she doesn't feel good, she goes to work. She is very much responsible," said Minjung.
"I guess that means everyone wants to work with Chahye," smiled Jeffrey.

After the meeting, Jusen and 2xxx! pulled Dean to a corner just when everyone else has left. They bombarded him with questions. Just then Chahye went out of the room with her team. She saw the three near fire exit and walked over, telling the others that she would follow downstairs.

"Why didn't you tell us she was the president's daughter?!" said Jusen.
"I didn't know okay?! I didn't know until last weekend," said Dean.
"It's been days hyung and you could have told us," said 2xxx!
"I swear. I knew she was the daughter. But I didn't know she would be one of the managers," said Dean.
"I didn't know, too," said Chahye from behind them.
Jusen jumped the moment he heard her voice. ", Chahye! Don't surprise us like that," said 2xxx!
"Haha! You guys look like you were planning something so important, the way you all whispered," smiled Chahye, her hand over her lips.
"Sorry about that," said Dean putting a hand behind her .
"It's fine. I understand you guys were surprised. Even I was," she said.
"When did you get the position?" asked Jusen.
"Just today," she said.
"Damn. From dancer to ad manager real quick. You really are something, Jin Chahye," said 2xxx!
"Thanks," she answered with a smile.
"But... Chahye. Why didn't you tell us you were the president's daughter?" asked Jusen.
"Uhm... I... I... I just," Chahye tried to say.

Dean sensed her hesitation to answer and thought of a distraction. "Oh my god. It's already 5pm. Remember, we have to see Crush?" he said.
"Eh? That can wait," said Jusen.
"No. Actually, you guys go," said Chahye. "I need to go to the office and see what else I need to do."
"Eh... Noona. Does this mean we won't get to spend time together anymore?" pouted Jusen.
"We still can... But yeah. I'll be busy and can't just go to your studios any time we want," said Chahye.
"Come on. Let's go. We have to go," said Dean. 
"Okay. I'll just go to my studio and get my bag," said 2xxx!, Jusen right behind him.

Chahye was following them but Dean suddenly took her arm and made her turn around. "We need to talk about this," he said. Chahye looked around first before facing Dean when she was sure no one else was around.

"I'm sorry, ami."
"Hyuk Shin doesn't even know that you're my girlfriend. What if he sneaks around?"
"Jeffrey said he'll handle that. I was scared of it myself. I don't want us to be gossiped around."
"Me neither. I mean, I'm cool with people knowing but... You... I'm scared for you."
"I'll be fine, I guess."

The two stayed quiet as they stared at each other. Although hesitant, Chahye raised her hand and touched his left cheek. "I miss you," Dean said first. "I miss you, too, Dean," she answered.

~ ~ ~

Hyuk Shin went straight to his office, a grim look on his face, his secretary following behind. He ordered him to close the door and then sat back on his swivel chair. 

"Tell me something," said Hyuk Shin. He stopped to sit on his desk and rested his elbows on it. "Who is that Jin Chahye?" he asked.

His secretary hesitated to answer. "Chahye was a dancer, with Dean's team. As far as I know, the management didn't know anything about her being the president's daughter. It was a surprise for me as well," he said.

"And her relationship with Dean?" asked Hyuk Shin.
"Uhm... Excuse me, sir?" asked his secretary.
"What is her relationship with Dean? I saw them talking," Hyuk Shin said, his voice slightly raised.
"Uhm... They're just friends, sir. She... She's spent time with him and his crew before, from what I know," the secretary said hesitantly.

Hyuk Shin spun in his chair and told his secretary to go. He stood up and looked out of his window.

"I can't let them be close. No."

~ ~ ~

A knock on the door came to Junyoung's office. He was on a phone call with one of his clients, a court appearance in talks for next week. The person on the other side opened the door quietly and bowed to Junyoung.

With his signal, his associate walked inside and left a folder on the table. "Let's meet in the office tomorrow then," said Junyoung as he took his seat once again and looked at the folder. "I will. See you tomorrow," he said finally ending the call. "Hello, Jungmok. What is this?" he asked the associate.

"The files you need for that civil case with the Jungs. More will come after the investigatorarrives today," said the associate.
"Very good work, Jungmok," smiled Junyoung.
"And sir... There's one more thing you have to know," said the junior, his boss attentively waiting.

The associate gave him another folder, this time in black. Junyoung took it and opened it while looking at him. "I believe this concerns the Jin murder case," said Jungmok. "It's not addressed to the office, sir, but specifically only to you."

It was from the warden general of Seoul district jail.

"By the time you receive and read this, you might not have a good day anymore, but I still wish you are well Junyoung.

For years, I have worked with you on the Jin case. Despite being assigned to jail work, I have at all costs, saw through the case. We've victored over evil before but I must apologize as what I am about to inform you is not good news.

This morning, we have found a dead body inside Kang's cell, wearing inmate uniform. It was one of the janitors. Kang however, was nowhere to be found. Him and 2 more service men are missing. Investigations are ongoing and the initial assumption is that the servicemen are Kang's croonies and by dishuising himself as a janitor, he was able to escape last night.

We haven't informed press of this news. I understand that the child is sensitive and may show signs of negative behavior if this reaches her. However, I believe you should know. I pray he does not go after them, but if you need people to be on the lookout for the children, I and my team, are willing to help you. 

You know how to contact me, Junyoung. Please do not hesitate. I wish you all the best every day."

Junyoung's heartbeat doubled just as he ended the letter. But there was a second paper after it.

"We reviewed our CCTV and saw this scene. Please stay safe."

The last piece of paper attached was a screen shot of a CCTV recording. It shows a man smiling at the camera with a rose in his hand.

"A black rose," said Jungmok waiting for his boss to speak. Junyoung put the folder down and sighed. He looked up to his associate. "What now, sir?" he asked.

"What now?" said Junyoung standing up, then started walking back and forth behind his desk. He stopped when he looked at his bookshelf. 

"Cancel all my meetings with clients tomorrow. Reset them on Friday. Arrange a meeting with the general as soon as possible. I need to call the family."