4...

Of Truth and Love
It was Sunday and Chahye had to turn down her aunt's request of dinner with her and her cousins, not like both of them could be there anyway. It was another day at the studio and she was making progress. She couldn't miss that for the world. She was now able to keep up with the others, especially the girls.
 
Last night, she opened her laptop and searched about "Dean". She knew he was a singer but she hasn't really listened to his songs. Or she might have already but didn't know it was him. And she was right. Dean sang one of the most turned up songs she's liked last year, "Pour Up" which features Zico. Because of the time she spends studying and working, she hasn't really been able to keep up with the ever-changing music scene in Korea. There were too many promising artists popping out of nowhere. She watched some of Dean's music videos and performances just to get familiar. She stumbled across a performance of "Pour Up" on some music show and started getting uneasy. That was the song they were rehearsing last night and it sort of looked to her. Although it was eye-candy because of Dean's handsome face and the dancers' smooth flow, Chahye just couldn't fathom dancing y in front of other people. She had her heart beat faster. "What if I become the girl in the middle?" she thought. There was a moment she thought of giving up and just not report to the studio the next day. But she can't. She needed this job.
 
"Why do you look so pale and uneasy, Chahye-ssi?" asked Eunji as she approached her.
"Huh?" she said, caught off guard by her presence. "I was... I was just... I think I'm just hungry," she said.
"Haven't you had lunch yet?" asked Eunji.
"No. Not yet," she lied.
"Then let's have dinner later," smiled the older girl in front of her. Chahye just nodded and went back to stretching her arms.
 
The choreographer came in and walked with much confidence. How Chanhye wished she had the same level of energy as him.
 
"Good to see everyone here today," he greeted. "Chahye-ssi, it's good to see you here. Have you learned everything you needed to know?" he asked her. Chahye only nodded with a faint smile. "Great! Because today, we will be running the choreography with no one else but Dean," he said.
 
A guy walked inside the studio with a bright smile. He was wearing a long brown coat over a white shirt, jeans and sneakers. He bowed at everyone and waved his hands. He shook hands with Eunji and Minhwan, the lead male dancer. Chahye recognized him as the guy she saw look through the door last night. She thought he was cute. He is.
 
"We will have a rundown of the choreography so Dean could see. Then afterwards, he would join in, with inputs on how he and everyone else could move across the floor. Remember, blockings are important in this, especially with the girls," said the choreographer.
"Excuse me," said Eunji stopping him. "Could we at least introduce Dean to our newest member before we start?"
"Right, right," said the choreographer. "Chahye, come here please," he called out. Chahye walked forward and approached them. The choreographer held her shoulders and made her face Dean.
"Hello. My name is Jin Chahye," she smiled bowing slightly to him.
"Hello, Chahye-ssi. My name is Kwon Hyuk. Nice to meet you," smiled Dean putting a hand out to her. Chahye reached for it and shook hands with him.
"Real name eh?" Eunji teased Dean.
"Just for formality," he smiled.
 
Chahye walked back to her position and the music played. Dean was watching all of them, calculating his moves while at it. He was also absorbed with staring at Chahye. She did small mistakes but that was understandable since she was new. Her face spelled out determination and he liked it. He liked her, he thought. He liked her voice when they were introduced, deep but with affection. Her hands were not smooth but it felt like home, like a friend's embrace after not seeing each other for a while. He looked at her eyes which were deep and mysterious.
 
The choreographer made Dean join in the second try. He removed his coat and stood in between Minhwan and Eunji. "Will Eunji replace Ga Eun's position?" asked Minhwan.
Dean looked at Eunji and they exchanged quizzical looks. "I don't know," he said.
"I can't replace Ga Eun. I'm too short for Dean," said Eunji.
"Why don't we choose Chahye-ssi? She's tall enough," suggested Minhwan. Everyone then looked at Chahye who was at the end of the women's line.
"Me?!" said Chahye pointing at herself, not believing they actually considered her for the center position.
"I was actually looking at her earlier. I think she can do it," smiled Dean.
"Chahye it is then," said the choreographer calling for her. "So, the steps are pretty much the same if you become Dean's partner. You already know that right?" he asked as she approached him in front. 
"Yes," answered Chahye. She was already cursing in her mind, wanting to blow up and just run outside. She saw videos of this performance and never did she thought of herself becoming the lead danceer. No. It can't be.
"The only difference is that from the second chorus to Zico's rap parts, you have to stay with Dean and do eye contact. Make it look y," he said.
"Is it your first time to dance y? Or with a partner?" asked Dean.
"Uhm.. I'm fine with dancing with a partner. But y... Not much," said Chahye avoiding his eyes.
"Don't worry. Dean will help you," smiled Minhwan. But somehow, his smile didn't help at easing Chahye's nervousness.
"Okay then. You guys said so," she said faking a smile. She walked towards Dean and stayed near him.
"Welcome to the dream team," said Dean as he put an arm over Chahye's shoulders.
 
The rehearsal went on smoothly minus the times Chahye stepped on Dean's foot or that one part where she pushed his hand off of her waist. She was finding it uncomfortable as he kept touching her. But that was part of the choreography and she couldn't do anything about it other than breathe in and out and try to relax herself. Eunji noticed how awkward Chahye was with Dean and advised her to let this be the adjustment phase. She can't continue if she can't get used to it. But she really wasn't and it was getting hard on her already.
 
"I know you're kinda getting used to it Chahye-ssi. But I hope we can work better next time," said Dean as he approached her just as the rehearsals ended.
She huffed and looked at him. "I'm sorry. I'll do better. I promise," she said, more like telling it to herself than to Dean.
"Please take care of Chahye, Hyuk-ssi. She's new," said Eunji.
"I will noona. Don't worry," said Dean. "So, I have to go. See you tomorrow, I guess."
 
Dean put his coat on and walked away with his manager, the choreographer and Minhwan. Chahye sighed and sat down on the bench wiping her face off of sweat. Eunji looked at her and shook her head and asked, "Do you like him?"
"Huh?!"
"Do you like Dean?"
"Huh?! No! What made you think of that?"
"Because you've been restless ever since he came in."
"I am restless. But it's not because I like him. I just met the guy."
"Then why?"
"I'm... I'm just not used to this okay? Dancing y with a partner."
"Come on. You're a dancer. You should have been prepared for that."
"Well, I dance hiphop. Not some y . I'm not Sistar. I'm more of a 2ne1."
"Well, that's a good comparison. But you still have to get used to it."
"I will."
"Don't worry about Dean. He's a nice guy. The dancer who used to be his partner, Ga Eun, was all good words about him."
"Then why did she left?"
"She had to go to America. Her dad was sick and the family needed support. I think Dean visited her when he went to America for SXSW."
"Did you never ever thought that he was in a relationship with her?"
"Oh, of course not. Ga Eun was already engaged to her boyfriend, Minhwan."
"Really? I didn't know. That's so nice."
"You're single, right?"
"Yeah. I am."
"Then you better play it safe. Dean is single, too. And most of his other friends."
 
Eunji said that with a smirk on her face as she walked away. Chahye tilted her head to the side and thought hard.
 
"Yeah. His friends happen to be mine as well," she thought.