38..

Of Truth and Love

She woke up to hearing Keith Ape's It G Ma from the earpiece left on her right ear. She blinked multiple times to get her focus and realized that she was still on the kitchen table, this time, facing the sink. She thought of her dream. "Hyuk," she called softly. She lifted her head and the earpiece fell off. She saw the food still in front of her, this time, with covers. As she looked on her left side, she almost jumped.

There was Hyuk sitting right next to her, playing with her phone. They stared at each other for a while before Hyuk brought his eyes back onto her phone and went back to tapping on the jewels he needed to remove from the game.

"What are you...Why are you here? How did you get in?!" asked Chahye frantically as she searched around the room trying to keep her voice down.
"Don't worry. Daejung let me in. I brought him home," said Hyuk not taking his eyes off his game.
"What?!" blurted Chahye out. "Wha-What time did he come back?!" she said rubbing her eyes.
"Around 11:30," answered Hyuk.
"What time is it now?" she asked again.
"It's already past 1am," said Hyuk.
"You've been here for a while and you didn't even wake me up!? What were you doing?!" said Chahye mockingly hitting his arm.
"I tried waking you up but you didn't. So I sat here and ate and now....almost at the..." said Hyuk. But Chahye snatched her phone away from him and pouted. His mouth fell open as he saw her exit the game. "I was already winning that level!" said Hyuk. "Tss," he sneered as he slumped on his chair.
"Where's Daejung?" she asked putting the phone on the table and looking at him.
"He's already asleep," he answered.

Chahye looked long at Hyuk who gave her stares back. She laid her hands on her lap and sunk in her chair. She sighed and closed her eyes. Hyuk saw her sudden change of mood and sat back down the same way as her.

"Did he eat?" she asked.
"Yes. The kimbap. I liked it, too," he said smiling gently.
"Where does he go, Hyuk? Where do you take him? What does he do?" asked Chahye not looking at him, ultimately changing the mood. 

Hyuk breathed deep and huffed. He knew she would understand but Daejung didn't want her to know. He kept his word. Chahye knew he wouldn't talk either. If it concerns Daejung, he always sided with the kid. She pulled her legs up on the chair and hugged her knees.

"Am I not doing it right, Hyuk?" she asked.
"What do you mean?" he said.
"Am I not taking care of him the right way? I am trying my best to be a good sister, to help him, to guide him, to feed him, support him. But why is he like this? Why does he still avoid me? Why is he still so distant? Am I doing it wrong?" she asked finally looking at him, waiting for an answer.
Hyuk turned his head to look at her and they met each others' gazes. He lifted a hand and brushed some of the hair that was getting into her face. "You're doing it just fine, Chahye. Don't worry," he said.
"How am I supposed to try harder, Hyuk? I don't want him to choose to leave. I have no one else in the world but him," she said looking down, feeling Hyuk's hands on her cheek, just like before, back when they were still in love with each other.
"No matter where in the world Daejung might be, he will always be your brother. You will always be his sister and he will always love you. And you're not alone. You have your cousins, your aunt, me, Hyoseob hyung, Buckwilds, Jihye, Byungyoon, Minho, everyone... And Dean," he said as he softly brushed his thumb across her cheek, feeling his own heart break at the mention of his name.
Chahye raised her head and looked at him with open. "How did you... How did you know about Dean?" she asked.
"Stories go around," said Hyuk smiling faintly.
"Millic... Did he tell you? Are they talking about me in HIGHGRND?" she said in panic.
"No. Well, me, the band and Hyeontae do. But we never really engage in too much talk about you with Club Eskimo. I met Dean already, Chahye," Hyuk admitted.
"How?" she asked.
"I'm in the same label as his friends, Chahye. We meet," he answered.
"Hyuk..." said Chahye.
He gave her a smile before letting her go and slumping back onto his chair. "Isn't it amazing how you fell in love with another Hyuk like me?" he said.
"I'm not in love with him."
"Then why don't I know anything about what's going on with you anymore?"
"I just..."
"That's because he's the one you want to share your life with, not me. You never wanted to share your life with me, Chahye."
"That's not true. I love you."
"Not the same way Dean stirs your heart."
"Oh Hyuk."
"Stop it, Chahye. Stop pretending that you don't like him. Daejung told me. Dean visits you. He calls you. He takes you home. He looks for you," he said in a very calm voice. "I used to do all of that for you but you never gave the same feelings towards me."
"Because I didn't know how to," said Chahye.
"Love isn't learned, Chahye. It's felt. If it feels good for you, that's love. It feels like it's right even though it's wrong, that's love. If you feel happy being with someone, that's love. If you feel like you can't live without them, that's love," said Hyuk now looking at her intently, her eyes shooting everywhere just to avoid his. "Have you ever felt like that? Like I could be the one you could trust the most?" he asked.

Chahye finally looked at Hyuk and she saw the sadness in his eyes. She knew she has always hurt him but he mattered so much to her to let him go. But he was happy with him. He was the exact opposite of what she was: happy, carefree and innocent. Their memories together flashed into her head like a movie put on forward. He was always there for her. She knew he loved her so much to even die for her. But she didn't. Although she knew he was important to her and that she adored his personality, she only did make it look like they were perfect so that Daejung would finally be able to like her. She didn't know if it was love. But all she knew was that no one else in the world would be able to be as patient and as loving towards her than Hyuk. She couldn't trust him with her life, with her secrets. They were too dark and heavy for a person as good as him to carry with her. She couldn't let him hurt the same way as her.

Her tears started to well up in her eyes and she reached for his hands. "I'm sorry," she said. "I'm sorry, Oh Hyuk." 

Hyuk took both her hands into his and squeezed on them until Chahye's tears finally fell one by one onto their hands.

"I still love you, Chahye. I still do. I want you to tell yourself that you love Dean, and tell him. That's the only way I can forget you. It's been 5 years already and my heart is still stuck on you. Help me so I can forget you. And help yourself so that you could finally be happy. With everything that's happened in your life Chahye, you deserve to be happy. And if that means being with Dean, please, do. I love you and even through eternity I will always love you, even from afar."

Chahye looked up to him and saw a tear fall from his left eye. "I don't deserve you, Oh Hyuk. You are too kind to be mine. And I'm sorry for always hurting you," she said hugging him tight across their chairs.

"I'm sorry, too, Chahye," said Hyuk as he rubbed a hand across her back. "I'm too scared to walk through your dark forest with you."