68..

Of Truth and Love

Dean arrived early at Chahye's place. He didn't dress as decently as she originally requested him to. Why even? He didn't know. He just wore a gray long sleeves over a black shirt. But rather than choosing his usual ripped jeans, he wore a skinny denim pair. 

Chahye texted him to go up and meet her inside her apartment. Somehow, something about this meeting she organized didn't sit well with him. Something about it made him scared and nervous. He spent a few minutes inside the car before finally getting out and then up towards her apartment.

She opened the door for him with no expression at all, even after flashing his iconic angelic smile. "Come in," she only said. He stepped inside and noticed everything tidy and neat. He looked at her. She was wearing a striped black and white dress that rested near her knees. She was still barefoot but has already put on very minimal make-up. Somehow, he knew she was trying to dress up.

"Where's Daejung?" he asked. 
"He slept over at Jiho's. He's going with Auntie around the city," said Chahye as she walked into the living room, getting a bag from the sofa and sitting on it. "Did you know that Jiho and uncle are starting a business soon? They're going to survey which area will be best to put up the place."
"Ah. I see... Yeah. Zico told me that," he said not really paying much attention.

Chahye continued to put things inside her bag. Her wallet, keys, phone, a vanity kit, a handkerchief, a pen, notepad. Dean just watched her still standing right across her. She felt the awkwardness and looked up just as she tucked her notepad in.

"Are you... Are you all right, Dean? Why don't you sit down first? I still have to wear shoes," she said.
"Where are we going, Chahye?" he asked.

She stared at him for a while before looking back down and sighing. There was no use in keeping it from him. They were going to meet him anyway. She pulled out a blue envelope from her bag and placed it on the table. Dean followed her actions.

"You wanted to know who was sending me letters, right? You wanted to know who was giving me money," she said looking up at him. He didn't answer. "I thought about it and I thought you needed to know. So we're going to him."
"Who is he?" he asked.
"That's the thing... I don't know who he is," she answered.
"But... What do you mean? How are we supposed to find him? Is it even safe?" he asked now starting to panic.
"It's safe. I guess. He's my father," she answered slightly becoming uneasy.
"Father?" said Dean in bewilderment. "I... I thought... I thought he was in prison?"

Chahye looked back up at him and faintly smiled. She stood up to meet his gaze and spoke up again.

"The man that me and...and killed my mother is Daejung's father. Not mine," she said.

Dean was shocked his mouth fell open and froze. Somehow, he knew somethng was already off because he has always noticed how Chahye and Daejung's features were relatively different other than their eyes. But hearing the truth was somehow still surprising.

"My mother was pregnant with me from another man I never met. He left her. After I was born, Daejung's father came back to her and offered to marry her. They didn't but she became pregnant with his son. He's the one in jail," she explained. "The person giving me money and sending me letters is my father, as he said," she spoke as she pointed at the envelope on the table. "I... I never met him before. I never even read his letters until you saw them so I don't know what kind of person he is. I... I just want all of this to end already that's why I'm doing this. I can't stay living knowing that he's out there and not being able to ask him all of the questions I have bottled up ever since. I just... I just want to see him. And maybe give back all of that money."

"And you're bringing me along because?" asked Dean.

Chahye looked up to answer him but stopped when their eyes met. "I... I don't know," she said as she stood up, her hands clasped together. "I... I just feel like... I need someone to be there with me because... Because I don't know what would happen to me," she said.

Dean didn't answer but sighed. Chahye took this as a negative reaction and was starting to tremble inside.

"If... If you don't want to go with me, that's fine," she said. "I... I'll just do it some other time and ask Jiho to come with me. I'm sorry for putting you into this, Dean," she said looking back at him.

Dean sighed once again and walked over to her. He kept a faint smile on his face and put his right hand on her head. "Who said I don't want to go with you, Jin Chahye?" he asked looking down at her. "I'm just... nervous. I'm going to finally meet your dad," he said with a smile. "Should I be ready to ask your hand in marriage?" he teasingly said.
"Aish..." said Chahye taking his hand off of her head. "I thought you'd back out," she ended with a pout.
"How can I do that when it's you who asked me?" said Dean taking her hands and putting them on his waists. He ran his hands from her arms up to her chin. "Didn't I tell you that I want to know you? I want to be part of your life? I want you to trust me? Could I back out from this now?" 
"If you want to," said Chahye as she held him closer, looking up at him.
"I won't." He leaned down and caught her lips into his own.

~

They drove towards an address in Yeouido. Dean almost didn't believe they were going there. No one lives in this area unless they were really rich. From what he heard, you had to present an ID or something to get in one area.

He wanted to ask Chahye more questions but he knew she had just as much as he did. So he kept his mouth shut. Deep inside, he was nervous. He didn't know who the man was. What if he wasn't a pleasing person, the reason him and Chahye's mother broke up? But more than that, what would the man say once they meet? Will he allow them to be together still? And another thing he was worried about was Daejung. He looked to his right and saw her hands clenched tight onto her bag resting on her lap. She might be thinking the same things as him. But compared to him, he knew she was more nervous.

And she was.

She just wasn't showing it, but on the other side of her head she wanted to make Dean stop the car, get off and go back home. She couldn't imagine meeting her father, neither can she think properly. She looked up then at Dean when she felt her gaze. He gave her a comforting smile. But she didn't feel any. She was really nervous.

Dean looked at the GPS and it said they only needed to do a final right turn after the bridge and they were already at the location. He was expecting to stop at a building but the road leading to their destination was only trees, looking over the river. No building in sight.

"It's over there," said Chahye as a big white house came in sight. Dean looked out and saw it. Nothing around it but trees. He could see a wide porch facing the river.
"It should be nice to live in a house like that, overlooking the river, Seoul," said Dean.
"The river is connected to the sea. It's his name," said Chahye looking out just as they came closer to the house.
"Huh?!" reacted Dean quickly glancing at her before looking back on the road.
"Bada..." said Chahye.

Dean pulled up in front of the house and got off. He looked around and only saw the home in between trees. The buildings were a good distance away and gradually blocked the skyline. It was just the sky and the river. He opened the door to Chahye's car and she got off. He closed the door behind her and watched her look at the house. He watched intently.

Chahye fixed her gaze at the house that was grand and yet welcoming with the colors blue and white. Glass doors and windows lined the front wall so the inhabitant could easily see the calming river. In the right side was an open concrete park where three cars were parked under an installed roof. Chahye could see a row of doors, 2 or three. The front porch extended to this side, a good area to do parties of some sort. On the left side lined trees. It was almost like a deep forest.

"I wonder if he owns even that forest," said Dean as he stood beside Chahye.
"Huh? What are you talking about?" asked Chahye syddenly remembering that she was with someone.
Dean looked down at her and grinned. "The way his house is built. Half of it is hidden from sight because of those trees. But the other half is open to people. Somehow, it looks like he designed this to suit his life," he said.
"Some of it, people may know, some he keep hidden from everyone," said Chahye softly to herself.
"So... Does your father own this?" asked Dean.
"I... I don't know. Maybe..." answered Chahye.
"Then you must be pretty rich," smiled Dean.
"He is. Not me," said Chahye rolling her eyes at him.

As they stood there, an old man around his forties in a brown tracksuit came out from the back, from where the cars were parked, carrying a basket full of what looked like cabbages, a straw hat on his head. He saw the two standing and bowed. He walked closer to them removing his hat. Cautiously, Chahye walked closer, Dean close by and ready.

"Good day ahgasse," smiled the man in a slow and sweet tone.
"Annyeonghashimnikka, ahjussi," Chahye greeted with a faint smile. Dean only bowed and smiled as well.
"Is there by any chance you're looking for someone?" the man asked putting his basket down on the sidewalk.
The two looked at each other for confirmation before Chahye answered. "Uhm... I was wondering ahjussi," she started. "I... I was hoping Jin Bada-nim was home?"
Dean suddenly looked at her at the mention of the name. "Why do I think like I already heard that name before?" he told himself.
"Oh. The master. Yes. He's home," he answered. "Are you the new intern I heard would visit? I know he was looking for new staff at the company."
"Ah. I'm sorry but I'm not her," answered Chahye bowing.
"Then might I know your name so I could tell him?" the man asked.
Chah
ye looked up at Dean to gather her courage. He smiled and put a hand behind her. She looked back at the old man and said, "My name is Jin Chahye. He would know who I am."

The old man's face suddenly lit up as though a messiah has appeared in front of him. He quickly rushed towards Chahye and reached for her hands. Although initially startled as their palms met, Chahye just let him hold her, his face overflowing with happiness.

"Is it... Is it really you, young princess?!" the old man said as he looked straight into her eyes.
"I... I'm sorry?!" said Chahye leaning back towards Dean whose arms were around her own.
"The master has been dreaming of this day to finally see and hold you. You are beautiful. He will be delighted!" he excitingly said. He looked down on Chahye's hand and wanted to kiss the back of it when he saw his own hands on hers. "Oh. I apologize! My hands are dirty from the gardening," said the man releasing her. "I... Come on. Follow me. Come inside. I will call the master for you," he said walking back to his basket and carrying it.

The man urged the two to follow. Although at peace, Chahye held Dean's hands still as she slowly followed.

"Changmi-ah! Changmi-ah!" shouted the man as he walked towards the front porch. "That's the head maid in this house," he said looking back at them still a good distance away. "Come on. Quickly," he told them.

A woman appeared from the front door in what looked like a scrub suit. The man identified her as Changmi. Chahye and Dean stayed outside the porch and bowed as the woman looked at them. Knowing that he wouldn't be of much importance at this house, Dean started looking around until his eyes rested at the cars parked which he didn't give much attention to before. One of the cars was a mini cooper painted in blue. He scrunched his eyebrows remembering Jeffrey's own mini cooper he usually borrows.

"Call the master quick. Tell him that the young princess is here," he said. And just like how the man reacted, Changmi was also shocked as she covered and bowed at them, scurrying back inside shouting, calling names and such. "Come on. Follow me. Come inside. The master will be happy to see you. The young master must also be informed of your presence," the man said as he made them walk up.

He opened the wooden door wide enough for them to walk in. As they stepped inside, two other women were standing there in the same suits worn by Changmi. At the sight of Chahye, they immediately bowed and greeted her a "welcome back home". The old man passed his basket of cabbages to one of the women and they all scurried off somewhere in the house. A shorter woman of her twenties bowed again at Chahye and took her hand as they walked to the sitting area carpetted in a grand red with white and black leather sofas.

The old man was about to step aside when Dean excused him and they caught eyes.

"Ahjussi... I was wondering..." said Dean cautiously. "May I know who owns the blue mini cooper outside?"
"Oh! That car is the young master's. But he's not here yet," the old man smiled.

 

= _ = _ = _ = _ = _ = _ = _ = _ =

Yes. I know. It's been a while and I'm sorry. T^T You guys do not understand how hard it was to do these upcoming chapters along with all of the stuff I've been doing. It was hard. Forgive me.

 

Any Rebels from Malaysia and Singapore there though?! Dean looked so happy at his shows there, I feel so jealous. T^T