30..

Of Truth and Love

Taewoon stood at the door to Chahye's room. She was lying down on her side, her back against the door. Zico has been telling him to talk to her but he felt too guilty to actually do it.

When they left the studio that Tuesday, Chahye has been trying to explain to them that it was all just a result of being drunk. She tried to defend Dean but they didn't buy it. Although she was drunk and didn't approve of what happened, she just couldn't stand and see her cousin beat the lights out of Dean. Taewoon swore he would hit Dean again if he saw him talking to her again. Zico didn't say a thing. But he admitted that seeing Dean would never result in anything good after day. He started hanging out with his crew mates since then, avoiding any communication with him.

Chahye and Daejung were forced to sleep in their house since, Daejung being oblivious to the real reason. Chahye hasn't spoken so much other than when her lawyer, Mr. Lee visited to talk about the proceedings scheduled for tomorrow. Daejung has been out of the house every afternoon. He tells Zico that he was going to hang out with Hyuk and they let him.

Taewoon sighed before knocking on the door. "Can I come in?" he said. But Chaye didn't answer. He walked inside and stood beside her bed. "Have you eaten lunch yet?" he asked.
"Yes," answered Chahye weakly.
"Chahye... I'm sorry," said Taewoon.
"For what?" she asked.
"For hitting Dean," he said taking a seat on her bed. "I was just too surprised and pissed off."
"You shouldn't be asking me for forgiveness, oppa. You should say that to Dean," she said, her back still against her cousin.
Taewoon was about to speak but stopped himself and sighed instead. She was right. He needed to say that to Dean, not her. He looked at his cousin's back, her breathing steady. "Why don't you look at me?" he asked.
"I... I'm just not in the mood, oppa," she answered.
"You've been like that since you came here," said Taewoon.
"I'm sorry," she said.
"Chahye... Whatever happens, you will always be part of this family because you are. We love you," said Taewoon putting an hand on her arm. But Chahye didn't answer. Neither did she react in anyway to tell him that she heard his statement. "Okay. I'll leave you now. But before I go, Crush visited us. He's in Jiho's room. Want me to call him?" he asked.
"Okay," she answered.

Taewoon stood up and looked one more time at her smiling. He walked outside and called Crush from Zico's room. The two friends looked at each other before hiking their shoulders together. Crush stood up from the stool he was sitting on and then walked out.

"Did she want to talk to him?" asked Zico.
"No. I just mentioned his name and asked if she wanted to see him. She said okay," answered Taewoon.

Crush reached her room from down the hall. It was open but he still knocked. "Hey," he sang.
"Could you close the door behind you, Seobbie?" said Chahye, her back still facing the door.
"Sure," said Crush closing the door behind him then walking over to her bed. "What drama is this? Why is your back against me?" he said as he stood beside her bed.
Chahye turned around and smirked. "There. Better?" she asked.
"So much better," smiled Crush. "Can I sit down?" he asked.
"I'd rather you lie down beside me," said Chahye putting a hand on the space beside her.

And Crush did, lying on his side facing Chahye. It made both of them smile. "Just like how we used to do it 6 years ago," said Crush.
"Yeah. With Zico on your other side and Kyung beside him. Taewoon here on my side," said Chahye as they reminisced on their friendship from back then which included sleeping at each other's houses. With her left index finger, Chahye touched the tip of his nose and laughed when he blinked twice. "You still have a weird nose," she teased.
"Aish," said Crush leaning back with a smile. "What am I supposed to tease you with? You're perfect," he said happily, staring into her eyes.

While they were staring at each other, Chahye moved closer to Crush and wrapped her arms around his torso, hugging him tight, a smile painted across her face. Crush slid his arm under her head and hugged her tight as well. He was expecting her to cry but she didn't. He then started brushing his fingers along her hair. He felt Chahye bury her face deeper into his face, brushing her smile against him. They usually did this and each time made Crush's heart beat fast. Today was no exception.

"Have you been talking to Dean or the others, Seobbie?"
"I actually haven't been inside a studio since Tuesday."
"Can I ask you something, Seobbie oppa?"
"Hmmm?"
"Are you mad at Dean? Just like Jisuk oppa and Jiho?"
"Do you want the truth?"
"Yes, of course."
"I hate Dean now, yes. But I'm more mad at myself."
"Why?"
"Because I didn't avoid it happening."
"There was nothing you could that night, Seobbie."
"No. I would have been able to do something. I would have stopped you from seeing him after work. I would have been there at the show and stuck you onto me. I could have been at that party and made you go home with me rather than him."
"Please don't be mad at Dean, Hyoseob. It was all my fault not his."
"What do you mean?"
"I was the one who made him come to the apartment. I made us buy more drinks that night. I... I started all of it..."

Chahye's voice started to drift away, hoarsely trying to supress a tear. Her confession shook Crush. What they knew was that Dean forced her into it, or took advantage of her. Now she's saying she started it.

"What the doctor said was true."
"No. You were just drunk, Chahye. That didn't mean anything."
"It meant a lot to Dean though."
"Don't think about it too much, Chahye."
"How can I not? He got hurt because of me."
"But... How about you? How did you feel when...when it was over? When you woke up?"
"It felt horrible, Hyoseob. I saw the nightmares. He was there. My mom was there. Then I woke up and saw Dean and I was scared as . I couldn't breathe. I was weak. My body felt so tired. And I saw the blood. Hyoseob... It all came back to me."
"Have...have you told him?"
"No! Of course not. I can't..."
"How would he even understand."
"I don't know..."
"Chahye..."
"I try to tell him to stay away from me. To forget me. But he doesn't listen. Hyoseob... I'm scared... What if he learns about everything?"
"Why are you scared if he learns about it?"
"Because... Because... I don't want to lose him."

It shot like daggers into Crush. Did she just say she likes Dean? Why? He hugged Chahye tighter as he felt her dig her face closer to his chest, she clenched her hand tighter onto his shirt from the back. He didn't know what to say. He was lost. His efforts to get her was getting no where. "Why should it be Dean?" he asked himself. He leaned back to kiss her forehead when Chahye loosened her grip and pushed herself away, eventually sitting on the bed.

"I'm sorry, Hyoseob," she said wiping her nose down the side of her face from tears. "I shouldn't have said that," she said.
"It's okay, Chahye," he said although truthfully, it was slowly breaking him inside. He sat himself up beside Chahye and crossed his legs. Chahye looked at him then leaned her head on his shoulder, hugging his neck. "What about tomorrow, Chahye? Are you ready?" he asked.
"I don't know. But I have to," she answered. "Will you be there?"
"Can I?" asked Crush.
"Of course, you can. Please be there to hold my hand," she said looking up at him.
"What about Daejung?" he inquired.
"Mr. Lee said it would be fine for him to be there. Although I protested, Daejung really wants to be there," she answered bringing her head back on his shoulder.
"It's time for him to finally meet his father, Chahye. That way, he doesn't have to listen to his relatives back in Incheon. They are horrible people. I saw them look at you at the custody hearing. It's like you committed a grave mistake when it was that man who you. I wanted to pick their eyes out really," said Crush irritated at the memory.
"There's no use getting mad at them, Hyoseob," said Chahye putting a hand over his clenched one. "They were obviously just mad because they won't be getting the custody allowance anymore because Daejung chose to stay with me, with us."
"You have every right to keep Daejung. Although he doesn't really favor you, you're the only first family he has left," said Hyoseob.
"Half of it though," smiled Chahye.
Hyoseob giggled at her statement then started ruffling her hair. "Aish. You always know how to make your family set-up look funny," he said.
"Because it is. It's funny and annoying all at the same time," smiled Chahye pushing his arm away. "Where is Daejung, by the way?" she asked.
"I don't know. He wasn't here when I came. Probably with Hyukoh," answered Crush.

Suddenly, Chahye's phone rang from her bedside table. She went on all fours and reached for it, sitting back beside Crush as she looked at the screen. "It's Eunji eonnie calling," she said looking up at Hyoseob.
"Answer it then," he said.

And she did.

~

"We were wondering if you and your boys wanted to come with us?" asked Minhwan as he walked down the stairs with Dean. "It's just a rooftop party since Ga Eun already came back with her dad. He's all fine now," he said.
"Just some food?" asked Dean.
"Well, of course there's go
nna be drinks. We wanted it to be the team's reunion as well," smiled Minhwa.

"Oh. So even the girls would be coming?" asked Dean happily. "I always thought you guys hated spending time with them."
"We only hated it because Eunji and Haneul are crazy when they get wasted. Junyoung once had to carry Haneul back to her home and they fought for a week," laughed Minhwan.
"I remember that," laughed Dean. "Hanuel noona even shouted at him while at practice."
"Yeah," snickered Minhwan. "So, will we see you? Ga Eun would be happy to see you again."
"I'll come hyung. I don't know if my crew would come but I will surely. I'll give you a call," said Dean shaking hands with his dance team leader.

It was just 5pm and the party already started. Ga Eun's apartment was at the main Jongno-gu business area. They were at the rooftop and the view was breathtaking, looking at the houses mixed with the greenery and dusky colors of the sunset. Dean came with Millic and Punchnello who was the closest to the dance team than anyone else. Ga Eun's family welcomed Dean so warmly, thanking him for allowing her to come to America for her dad. Millic spent the first hour talking to the male dancers in front of the barbecue, him taking cuts of meat. Dean settled with a can of beer beside the edge of the rooftop, looking out into the view.

He initially didn't want to come here but Millic insisted he get a breather. He was always partying at clubs, with people from the same scene he works at. Partying with people who didn't care about his status or fame could help him think and relax. And Millic was right. It felt different spending time with his dancers, people who never criticized him but instead tried to pick him up, teach him and support him. It felt different having talked to Minhwan's 9-year old nephew running around and giving them pieces of the chocolate bar Ga Eun gave him. It was different having hugged Ga Eun's father who eventually told him proverbs on how to live life fully. He was relaxed. There was none of the conversations that centered in making songs with other artists. None of those criticisms and orders he gets from his CEO and mangers. None of those nerve-racking phone calls or SNS messages he gets from fans and stalkers alike. None of those crazy girls who walk up to him to ask for an autograph or selca. Tonight, he wasn't Dean the celebrity. He was Dean the kid since most of his dancers were older than him. He was at peace.

"Should we prepare all of the food now?" asked Ga Eun's sister.
"But Eunji isn't here yet?" said Ga Eun. 
"Actually, she just arrived!" shouted Minhwan from the rooftop door.
"Hi guys!" greeted Eunji from behind him. Everyone greeted her. Dean just raised a hand to her. "Oh. Hi Dean!" she said. "I'm sorry I'm late. I had to fetch someone before coming here."
"Really? She came?" asked Jinyoung from the barbecue grill.
"Who?" asked Millic.
"Who else? The dance team's baby girl, Jin Chahye," said Eunji pulling her away from the door and into the view of everyone.
"Uhm... Hi," smiled Chahye. Dean saw her and his jaw dropped. He didn't expect to see her there.
"Chahye! Hello!" greeted Kiyoung, one of the female dancers.
"Oh. So this is the girl that took my place?" said Ga Eun happily walking towards them. "Hello. My name is Nam Ga Eun," she said shaking hands with Chahye. "So how does it feel to be working with Dean?"
"Great, I guess. It's nice meeting you, eonnie," smiled Chahye.
"Chahye made our last stage amazing!" cheered Junyoung.
"Yeah. I saw the videos. All of you were all cool," smiled Ga Eun. "And Dean. He's improved so much on stage. No more dancers getting stepped on," she laughed.
Dean laughed and approached the table they were all gathered at. "I learn fast, noona," he said slowly taking a look at Chahye who stared back at him.
"Chahye and Dean spend more time in the studio practicing than all of us," said Hanuel nodding her head.
"Really? You must be special, Chahye-ssi," smiled Ga Eun.
"Eh?! Of course not. We just practiced more because I was new and wasn't used to being with a partner," answered Chahye taking the can of beer Minhwan passed to her.
"You look like you two got along quick," aaid Ga Eun. "I used to be so awkward towards Dean as well. But he is such a sweet dongsaeng, I got used to it quick."
"All of us have," smiled Kiyoung.
"That's because Dean is such a good person as well," said Junyoung.
"If only people realized that, right, Punchnello?" said Jinyoung.
"Yeah. Right. Whatever," said Punchnello taking a piece of meat from the bowl. "Can we start eating now please?"

The team set up the table and started to eat all together. Ga Eun's family stayed inside their apartment as her father needed to rest soon. Chahye sat at one end of the table. To her surprise, Millic sat beside her; Dean and Punchnello sat across them.

Since she came, she tried her best to avoid talking to Dean. Luckily, he just stayed near the rooftop's edge talking to Minhwan and Junyoung, the oldest members of the dance team. Chahye chatted with her team members, catching up since the last time they met. But she knew he was looking at her. She felt his gaze on her and it made her shiver everytime. She would steal glances at him and their eyes would always meet.

"I didn't think you'll come," said Millic.
"Yeah. Millic missed you," laughed Punchnello.
"Really now?" asked Chahye looking at Millic who just smiled. "Didn't you miss me, Nello?" she followed looking at him.
"Just a bit," the boy answered.
"Thanks then," said Chahye, going back to the chicken in her plate. "I wasn't supposed to come. I didn't reply to Minhwan oppa's text. But Eunji eonnie called me, saying she'll fetch me. I tried to say no but Hyoseob told me to go," she explained.
"Hyoseob?" asked Millic.
"She's talking about Crush," said Dean taking a gulp from his beer.
"Yeah. Crush. We were together when Eunji eonnie called," she said.
"What were you two doing eh?" asked Punchnello.
"Nothing. We were just in bed," said Chahye.
Suddenly, Dean almost threw the beer in his mouth out. Millic started choking on the food in his mouth as well. Luckily, Chahye gave him her glass of water. "Thanks but... You two were in bed?!" exclaimed Millic.
"Aish. Keep your mouth shut," said Chahye slapping his chin. "We were at Jiho's place. We were sitting in bed and talking. We had a lot to talk about, you know," she said.
"I thought you two were doing wonders already," said Millic.
"Dean wouldn't be able to handle that," said Punchnello cooly.
"What?!" said Dean and Chahye together. They looked at each other after. Dean coughed just to clear the air between them.
"He wouldn't be able to handle you being with another guy? Should I explain more?" said Punchnello, his palms out at them.
"Whatever," said Dean smiling as he drank from his can again.
"What were you talking about?" asked Millic.
"A lot of stuff you don't need to know," said Chahye sticking her tongue out.

The four continued to talk, sometimes joining in the conversation with the dance team. Dean slumped in his chair staring at Chahye, occasionally drinking and eating. Chahye became much more involved with talking to Punchnello and Millic, avoiding Dean at all costs. And this he knew.

The night went on with more stories and beer. Dean tried his best to keep himself away from the group. Suddenly, Millic approached him. "Chahye plans to leave any time soon. She said she need to rest for something she has to do tomorrow. It's your chance to talk to her or else," he told him. Dean has actually been thinking of how to talk to her. But he was afraid he would blow up and everyone else in the dance team would know about their affair, not that they really had one.

As Chahye went to the cooler to get another can of beer, Dean approached her, pretending to need another can himself. Chahye kept the cooler lid open for him.
"Thanks," he said.
"You're welcome," she said pushing the lid back down and slightly smiling at him.
Without hesitation, Dean reached for his wrist and said, "Can we talk?" He pointed to the spot he was standing at earlier.
"Okay. But can you let me go, please?" she said looking down on their hands.

Dean quickly let her go and walked ahead, slightly feeling his cheeks burn at the thought of her looking at him. He opened his can just as he approached his spot on the edge, a bowl of nuts resting on it. Chahye followed him, jumping onto the edge and sitting on it, not allowing Dean to see her. Dean realized the situation and turned around, taking in the view of the dark city of Seoul shimmering with its lights. Chahye looked down and saw the side of his face, the cut on his lip no longer there.

"Millic told me to talk to you. I asked him to tell you I'm leaving soon," said Chahye.
"Eh? Really?" asked Dean mentally strangling his bestfriend in making him believe that Chahye was really wanting to talk to him.
"Do you think I'd stay at the cooler when you approached? I would have left you there alone if I really wanted to avoid you," she said.
"Oh. Right. Well, thanks for wanting to talk to me," smiled Dean.
"I'm glad that's fine now," she said. Dean had to look at her and raise an eyebrow. "The cut on your lip," she said looking back at the people on the table.
Dean lifted a hand and touched the spot where his lip was cut. "Yeah. Jusen gave me something for it. Worked fast," he said.
"I'm sorry, by the way," she said not looking at him.
"For what?" asked Dean.
"For what my cousin did. He was just..."
"Mad. We did something wrong. I understand."
"No. You don't understand."
"Why don't you make me understand then?"
"It's not the right time."

Chahye jumped off the edge and dusted her pants off. Dean followed her with his eyes. Chahye looked at her watch and nodded, taking her phone out of her pocket. She read a message and smiled. She turned around and finally looked at him.

"I have to go, Dean. See you around," she said.
"Wait, Chahye," Dean said stoppong her. She turned around and waited. "I... I get it if you don't like me the same way. But... But..." he hesitated to say. "Could we at least still be friends? I can live with everything else not happening to us but I surely still want to see you nice and kind to me," he said.
"Kwon Hyuk," started Chahye. "Didn't I tell you before? Me being nice to you doesn't have any meaning. I just really am nice to you. You can trust on that."
"I trust you, Chahye. But you... How can you start trusting me?" he asked.
Chahye hesitated to answer. They spent another minute staring at each other before she spoke. "I don't know as well, Dean. But I guess you can start by being a friend," she said with a faint smile. Her phone suddenly rang and she checked it. "I have to go, Dean," she said.
"Let me take you home, or maybe to the bus stop. It's already dark outside," said Dean. 
"You don't have to. Someone's going to pick me up," smiled Chahye.

She was soon hugging her teammates and bid goodbye to everyone. Ga Eun asked her to meet her again some day and Chahye accepted the invite. She also hugged Punchnello and Millic, promising them that she would surely treat them some day. As she walked down the stairs, she heard someone following her. It happened to be Dean.

"Why are you following me?" asked Chahye.
"I told you I wanted to take you home," he said.
"And I told you someone's going to pick me up," she said reaching the first floor and out into the building's lobby.
"Who?" asked Dean as he was a short distance from her.
Chahye was already outside and they both stopped walking. There was a Mercedes Benz parked right in front of the building, its driver leaning on the car door. She turned around and looked at Dean whose mouth parted. Crush just raised a hand to greet him, no words, not even a smile.

"See you around, Dean," said Chahye smiling then bowing to him. She walked over to Crush then to the passenger seat. He opened the door for her and she slid inside.

As Crush walked over to the driver's side, Dean called him out. "I'm not giving up on her," he said.
"I didn't say you were," said Crush. "But I'm not either," he smiled before opening his car and getting in.