5...

Of Truth and Love
It was a Tuesday night and it was the first drink Chahye ever got in 2 weeks of being sober because of university finals. She was with Byul and Hyeontae tonight.
 
"To the finals that are already over!" said Byul with a glass up in the air. Chahye and Hyeontae followed suit, each chugging down their drinks. "We should have invited Jiho hyung," he said.
"Don't even think of getting to that," said Chahye.
"Chill, Cha. I was just joking," said Byul.
"Don't you ever get to see your cousin at the university? You're both from Seoul University," said Hyeontae.
"Nah. He's at the other side of the campus," said Chahye. pouring herself another shot.
 
Byul stood up and looked at the DJ at the stage. They were at Cakeshop and enjoying a set with King MCK doing the turntable. Chahye has been friends with these two rappers ever since they started with the scene thanks to his ever-loving cousins. But because of university work, they hardly ever see each other. Plus the point that Chahye, as much as possible, avoids mingling with their kind. Byul was the one who suggested on going to Cakeshop. Chahye would have just settled on an unknown bar down at Mapo-gu where people hardly recognize them. But he said the end of the semester was worth celebrating and Cakeshop was the best place to go to.
 
"Will Jihoon and Minho come here?" Byul asked Hyeontae.
"I don't know. Jihoon said he'll try. Minho still hasn't answered his goddamn phone," he answered.
"Might already be asleep," smiled Chahye.
"Us 93-liners ever have some time all together and these two act like some dimwits," said Hyeontae.
"I thought you were already aware of that," laughed Byul as he sat back down beside Chahye.
 
The two men continued to talk while Chahye turned to look at the people crowding near the DJ deck, screaming at King MCK. She knew who he was. He's popular in the DJ scene. But this was the first time she ever listened to a set of his, left alone see him perform live. And she liked it. No wonder he was so popular.
 
Suddenly, the crowd's attention was divided when someone started shouting "Zico". The three even looked around trying to see why his name was called. The crew performing with King MCK now was the Cohort, not Buckwilds. Then, they saw it. Zico was coming down the stairs with Hanhae, Ddolbae and Paloalto. There were two other men behind him which Chahye did not recognize.
 
"Just as we were talking about your cousin," said Byul.
"Shut up," Chahye sneered at him.
 
She was about to turn around when she saw another man following Zico. Her eyes shot wide open and as if by reflex, she grabbed her bag and stood up, walking behind the people who started to crowd in on the group of rappers that just arrived. Hyeontae was able to grab her arm only to be pushed away by her. "Where are you going, Chahye?!" he screamed.
"Home! Bye!" she screamed back, slowly getting a fair distance away from the two. Byul and Hyeontae just stared at each other, both hiking their shoulders.
 
Zico and his group soon Andup and Incredivle at the bar and approached them, shaking hands and bumping shoulders. "You guys drinking without us?" asked Zico.
"Nah. We were with Chahye earlier but she left just as you came," said Andup.
"Oh. She doesn't want to see you," Hanhae teased Zico.
"That's weird... She always wanted to see me back then," said Zico.
"Who's Chahye?" asked Paloalto as he shook hands with Andup.
"She's no one," said Zico.
 
Dean, Punchnello and Millic approached the group as well and greeted the two other rappers. "I thought you had a girl here with you," Dean told Andup.
"You just missed her," Incredivle answered with a smile.
"Would have been cool if you met her," said Andup.
"Nah. No. It wouldn't be cool," said Zico waving his hands in front of him,
"How come?" asked Millic.
"It's just... She's not that cool," said Zico almost panicking.
"Hey. I thought Crush hyung would be with you guys?" asked Andup trying to help Zico out of his predicament.
 
Chahye walked away from Cakeshop and decided to go home instead. She sent a text message to Byul and Hyeontae apologizing about her abrupt leave. She just couldn't stay when both Zico and Dean were there. No.
 
She arrived at her apartment after a quick bus ride. Good thing she didn't drink too much or else. Her room was on the 3rd floor of the building. The windows to her room faced the road, right next to Honey J's apartment which still doesn't have the light on. She probably was still at her boyfriend's house. She sighed as she remembered how boring her life was compared to Honey J's.
 
She went up the stairs to her room. She went into a full stop when she arrived at her door and saw a man sitting against it.
 
"Shin Hyoseob," she said as he looked up.
"Chahye. Hello," he said standing up.
"How long have you been here?" she asked following his eyes as he got up.
"Uhm... I don't know. Maybe 30 minutes or so. It hasn't been that long," he said with a smile, dusting his pants.
"Why didn't you call me or something? Where have you been?" Chahye kept asking.
"I wanted to surprise you. Jiho invited me to Cakeshop with the others but I declined. Where have you been?" he said, now asking the questions.
"Oh. Uhm... I... I went out with some friends," she lied.
"I hope you didn't drink with them because I brought some for us," said Crush getting the plastic bag from the floor and showing it to her. "I bought some ice but I guess they're already water by now," he smiled.
Chahye laughed and hit his arm mockingly. "Aish. Shin Hyoseob oppa," she said. "Come inside."
 
Chahye opened the door to her apartment and Hyoseob followed her inside. He's been in her apartment multiple times already. He would often tell her to find somewhere else to live but he understood that right now, this was the only place she could afford. Chahye has always turned down offers to move whether made by him or her cousins.
 
She went to her small kitchen and brought some glasses with her back to the table in front of the sofa. Hyoseob placed the plastic bag there and took out its contents: cans of Cass beers, a bag of chips, a bag of ice, ramyun packs and a lunch container. "Could you bring a bowl for the ice, Chahye?" he called as he knelt down.

Chahye came back with a bowl and a pitcher of water with her. She saw the ramyun packs and asked, "Do you want to cook that?"
"Nah. I think I'm not that hungry for ramyun anymore," answered Hyoseob. "Keep that for yourself," he continued, passing the plastic bag to her.
Chahye took it and placed it on the floor near her. "Thank you but you shouldn't have," she said.
"Please Chahye. Don't mind it. By the way, Jihye wanted me to give you some so here," he said passing her the lunch container.
"What is this?" she asked reaching for it.
"She made kimchi with mom. She said she hasn't seen you at the university during finals so she made me bring this when I said I'll be visiting you," explained Hyoseob.
"Aawww. Please tell her I love her," said Chahye as she opened the container and saw it full with homemade kimchi. "I haven't had homemade kimchi in a while. Thank you Hyoseob," she said closing it and putting it aside.

Hyoseob just smiled at her as he opened two cans and give her one. "Drink up, Jin Chahye!" he said as he raised his can with her.
 
They spent the next hour drinking in peace, laughing at some time and talking about random stuff.
 
"So, how's it going with your other job?" asked Hyoeseob.
"Everything's well, I guess. I already had the hang of it," answered Chahye.
"Is anyone hitting on you there?" he asked again.
"Seobbie oppa. Of course not. I wouldn't allow it," answered Chahye.
"Good. I wouldn't as well," smiled Hyoseob as he reached for his fourth can.
 
Chahye looked at him and smiled. Sometimes, she could not believe how a cute and kind person like Hyoseob became her bestfriend. She opened her fourth can as well and poured it into her glass. "Tell me, Shin Hyoseob. How come you don't have a girlfriend until now?"
"You don't want to know."
"How come?'
"Because I have a lame answer."
"Come on. Tell me. We're friends."
"Well, because... I'm in love with someone and I'm waiting for her to love me back."
"Oh. Really? Is she someone from Amoeba?"
"Huh? Who are you thinking of? Suran noona?"
"Maybe?"
"Aish. It's not her."
"Then maybe it's that Miso girl, the producer you guys want to be in Club Eskimo."
"Eh? How did you know about her?"
"So, it is her?!"
"No! I don't like her. But she is pretty. But no! It's someone else. I'm just surprised you knew we were asking her to join the crew."
"Well, I have my sources."
"Did Jiho tell you?"
"No. We haven't even talked in a week now."
"Then who? Who else do you know?"
"I just heard Hyoseob. I just heard it from someone. And besides, you two have a collaboration together right?"
"That was just a song. I love someone else."
"Then who is it?"
"I'm not telling you."
"Fine. I won't."
"How about you Chahye-ssi. How come you still don't have a boyfriend?"
"Because... I haven't graduated yet," she said sticking her tongue out. "I'll date someone once everything in my life is in order. And that includes having Daejung in my life again."
 
The two remained silent after that. It was never a good idea to mention her brother. Chahye becomes sad and emotional each and every time.
 
"How long is it until you can get him back?" asked Hyoseob.
"Until I graduate and have a stable job. Child services said I needed to be able to support whatever he needs if I want him back," said Chahye hugging her knees close to her chest.
"That's just one more year right?" said Hyoseob.
"Yeah. One more year. One more year in the university. One more year of a school-work routine everyday. I can't wait until I graduate," she smiled.
"What job are you going to look for after?" asked Hyoseob as he drank out of his can.
"I don't know yet. But since I'm an English major, I could go around schools and apply. I always wanted to become a teacher anyway," said Chahye.
"Good luck Chahye-ssi," smiled Hyoseob.
"Thanks," she said as she released her knees. "Seobbie oppa... Can I ask you something?"
"Yeah. Sure," said Hyoseob.
Chahye was unsure if it was proper to ask him this but she still insisted. "What is Dean like?"
"Dean?"
"Yeah. Dean. Deanfluenza. The singer. You're friends with him, right?"
"Yeah but... Why the sudden question about him?"
"I... I was lucky to be on the internet the other day and I stumbled across his songs and videos. He's cool."
"Do you like him?"
"Uhm... I don't know. But his songs are cool."
"Well... Dean... He is cool. He's a genius. He's actually pretty friendly, too but..."
"But what?"
"He's... I don't know. It may just be me. He's too mysterious sometimes. And Zico said he was a master flirt."
"Flirt?"
"Yeah. You know. A natural ladies man. He knows how to talk to girls to get their attention. Stay away from him."
"Why?! Afraid he'll steal me from you?"
"Yes."
"Well then... I guess I'll do my best. Have you picked up any tips from Dean yet? On how to get girls?"
"I don't need anyone's advice. I can get any girl I like with just my voice."
"Oh really now? I wonder why I haven't fallen in love with you yet."

Chahye laughed and Hyoseob followed, discreetly. It hurt to hear those words from her. He was already losing hope and Chahye makes it sound so funny when it isn't.
 
They spent another hour or two talking over some more cans of beer. Hyoseob has already gone into the comfort room and threw up at the sink. Chahye had a greater tolerance towards alcohol, if you don't add the moments she'll go inside and pee though. They already ran out of beer and Hyoseob already rested his head on the sofa behind him.
 
"Seobbie oppa," said Chahye. "Would you want to sleep here for the night?" she asked.
"Yeah. Sure," he answered in a haze.
"The sofa or my bed?" she asked.
"Can I sleep in your bed though?" said Hyoseob with a teasing smile.
"No. Stay there. I'll go get a blanket," she said standing up, getting support from the table.
 
She went inside her bedroom and opened her drawers looking for a blanket to use. She finally saw one as she opened the bottom drawer in her dresser. She went back out to the den and saw Hyoseob sitting on the sofa, removing his jacket. Chahye threw him the blanket.
 
"Thank you for your sweetness," he said with his eyes closed obviously filled with sarcasm. He opened the blanket and threw it over his legs, lying down to sleep.
Chahye approached him and sat on the floor right next to the sofa. She held his left hand and pressed on it tightly. "Thank you for being here, Hyoseob," she said almost in a whisper.
"I love you, Chahye. I'll always be here for you," she heard him say.
 
She looked at him as his eyes slowly came to a close. She looked at the mess they left and sighed. She wasn't no prick and she certainly was human enough to feel that Hyoseob had feelings for her. He would give her hints and she'd act as if she didn't know anything. And it touched Chahye's heart to see that he was really loyal towards her. It's been years and he's still waiting for her. Although she wasn't sure what she felt towards Hyoseob, she couldn't bring herself to love him back. Neither could she ever be able to hurt him. It wasn't time yet. She still had things to do and work on before actually thinking of a relationship, of love, if she ever believed in it.