11..

Of Truth and Love

"Good job everyone! See you all on Sunday then!" announced the choreographer.

"Sunday?" Eunji said. "We won't be meeting tomorrow and Saturday?"
"No," he said. "Dean here won't be available tomorrow and I have to run to Gwangju for an emergency. I'm sorry guys," he said.
"Sorry?! I have to thank you! I can finally go to that date I was asked for," cheered one of the female dancers.
"I can finally get started on that movie marathon with my girlfriend," said one of the guys.
"Well, looks like everyone has plans over the weekend. Have fun guys," said the choreographer before grabbing his bag and waving bye to everyone.

"Well, looks like I can finally unwind and have a day at the spa before the big day comes," said Eunji collapsing on the floor beside Chahye. "Do you have plans this weekend?" she asked her.
"Uhm... Yeah. A friend of mine invited me to a party tomorrow," answered Chahye with a smile.
Eunji got up, leaning on her elbows, smiling at her. "A friend?! Is this a guy?! Are you going on a date?!" she asked excitingly.
"Date?! No. It's just...," Chahye tried to say.
"Was it a guy? Did a guy invite you?!" asked Eunji again.
"Yeah. He's my bestfriend," said Chahye.
"Jin Chahye. He's already asking you out on a date!" said Eunji grabbing her hands.
"Uhm... It isn't a date. We're gonna be with friends," said Chahye.
"Aish. Chahye. You are going to be friends. But the fact that you're the girl he asked to be with him, the one he wants to spend the night most with, that's already telling you that he likes you," said Eunji.
Chahye pulled her hands away from her and stood up. "Well, I did say yes so I guess it is a date. But nothing too romantic since our friends are gonna be there," she said.
"Have fun, Chahye," smiled Eunji.

Everyone else was started to pack up and leave. Eunji and Chahye were the ones left from the girls. The guys agreed to go out and drink, which the girls declined. Minhwan returned to the studio and called for Chahye. "Dean wanted to talk to you, I think," he said before grabbing his bag and walking out, all the other guys following him. She was only able to look at Eunji who hiked her shoulders. What does he need this time, thought Chahye.

The door opened and entered Dean with his usual bright smile. "Chahye-ssi. Eunji noona. Hello," he greeted.
"Well, I gotta go now. See you on Sunday, Chahye. Bye Dean," smiled Eunji as she took her bag and quickly walking out of the studio. The two just watched her go and disappear.

Dean looked back at Chahye and smiled. "Well, I didn't expect them leaving us here," he said.
"What do you want?" Chahye asked straightly.
"Why are you so frank with me, Chahye? I thought we were already friends," said Dean walking towards her.
"I wanted to go home quick, too. But they said you wanted to talk to me. So... What is it?" said Chahye. "I hope it's not the way I hit you during practice."
"Speaking of that incident," said Dean. "Minhwan asked me why and how we became that close. I didn't tell him though," he said with a smirk.
"Thank you," said Chahye.
"Anyway, the reason I wanted to talk to you is because I wanted to invite you," Dean started.
"To what?"
"Someone I know is having a party this Friday and he wanted us to bring a partner. I thought you wanted to be there."
"Friday?"
"Yes. You can wear anything. Casual. Formal. Doesn't matter. I wouldn't care."
"Dean... I'm sorry. I already have plans on Friday."
"What?!" 
Dean said it a bit louder and it surprised Chahye. There was also a hint of annoyance in his eyes.
"I mean... What plans?"
"A friend invited me out as well, and I already said yes."
"A friend? I didn't know you already had a boyfriend."
"Uhm... He's just a friend, not a boyfriend."
"Oh... I guess I can't insist you anymore."
"I'm sorry."
"No. That's fine. Don't worry. I'll ask you out some other time."
"Sure."
"Sure.... Is that a promise for you to go out with me in the future?" he asked with a cheeky smile as he stepped closer to her.
Chahye had to take a step back as she felt his presence closer her. "Uhm...Yeah," she hesitantly said.
"Great! I'll be expecting that. So, are you going home now?"
"Yes."
"Want me to take you home?"
"No. I'm fine."
"Really?"
"Yes."
"At least, let me walk you to the bus stop."
"I can manage, Dean. I'm fine."
"No. Let me. Please."
Dean was closer to her that Chahye had to step to the side, far from him. "Could you not do that?" she said.
"Do what?" asked Dean approaching her.
"That..," she said. "Don't just come near me like that. It.... It feels awkward."
"Awkward? We've been dancing together for weeks now, Chahye. Do you still feel awkward around me? I thought we were already friends," said Dean.
"Uhm... Yeah. We are friends. But dancing and talking are two different things," said Chahye trying to breathe deeper to relax herself. She bit her lip to not make her cry. "I think I have to go," she said grabbing her bag from the bench and walking towards the door.

Dean quickly followed her, making sure the lights were off and the door closed. "Wait for me, Chahye," he said following her down the stairs. But she didn't slow her pace. "Why does she always try to avoid me?" he thought.

He caught up with her just before she stepped out of the door. He grabbed her hand and rather than look at him, Chahye started to scream. Dean was shocked but had the impulse to turn her around and made her stop. She almost had tears in her eyes, glistening just above her bottom lashes. He released her and Chahye hugged her arm he just let go. She gave him a sad look before turning around.

"Hey..." said Dean. "I'm sorry. I..."
"I'm sorry, Dean. I'm just... I'm just not used to people getting too close to me. I'm sorry," said Chahye.
"No. I'm sorry. I should have understood that already," he said sincerely. Chahye didn't answer but appeared to be wiping her face. She did cry. She suddenly took steps away from him, out of the door and out to the sidewalk. Dean followed her. Just behind her, he shouted, "Want me to walk with you?"
Chahye looked back at him with a faint smile. "Sure. Thank you," she said.

They walked towards the bus stop without anyone talking. Dean felt guilty at making Chahye feel bad, although he wasn't sure why. It made him feel like he violated her or something. Or it may just really be because he did get too close to her. As they waited for a bus to arrive, the last round for that day, Dean bundled up his courage and said, "Does it bother you that I stick to you that close?"
Chahye looked at him and hesitated. Looking to her left, he said, "Sometimes."
"Then why did you agree to become my partner in the dance?"
"It's part of the job, Dean. You have to get used to it."
"So, you and me... We're like two different people in front of the other dancers and when it's just the two of us?"
"Sort of."
"Are all your relationships like this?"
"Let's just say that I find it hard to trust people, okay?"
"And am I on that stage?"
"Dean... Why are you doing this?" Chahye asked looking at him sternly. "Why do you keep on putting yourself inside my life? Why do you make it look like I need you? I don't."
"I want to be part of your life, Chahye. I want to be your friend," answered Dean as calmly as he could, careful not to touch any emotion in her.
"I don't have that much friends," she said looking back onto the road as a bus was coming to a stop.
"I want to be one of those few people," he answered.
"For all we know, the next thing I'm going to hear coming from your mouth is that you like me," said Chahye shaking her head, taking a step onto the bus.

She turned around just enough to get a look at Dean when he said, "I do." She wanted to say something but the doors slid together to a close, leaving an image of a smiling Dean through the glass windows.