36..

Of Truth and Love


"What time are you gonna be home tonight, Daejung?" asked Chahye just as he stepped out of the door.
"I don't know," he answered.
"Please come back home before dinner. I wanted to cook for the both of us," she said.
Daejung looked back at her and wanted to tell her not to. He didn't know what time he would be back. She still looked like she was in deep sadness when they woke up that morning. He knew he was somehow the reason why. Maybe he could make it up to her. "I can't promise noona. But I will be back as early as I can," he said.
"Where do you even spend your afternoons, Daejung? You're not telling me anything," she said.
"I...I'll tell you one day," he said. "I promise. I'm not doing anything wrong."
Chahye stared long at him, waiting if he would ever speak more. But he didn't. "Please be sure, Daejung-ah," she said in the most concerned tone he has ever heard from her.

Daejung bowed and then walked out of their apartment, down to the lobby and out of their building. He was going to take the bus to school for the first time. Chahye went back to her room and unplugged her phone from the charger. Hyoseob still hasn't called her. She knew she would be going to the university alone that day but in the back of her head, she hoped that Hyoseob would pick her up. He always does.

She didn't wait for a call from him anymore and she certainly didn't want to be late for her 8am class. She hurriedly went down to catch the next bus. But just as she was half across the parking space, she saw two men leaning across a car, cigarettes between their fingers. It was Moonseop and Seungtaek of the GEEKS. She called them as she walked over, greeting them happily.

"What are you two doing here?" asked Chahye as she hugged Seungtaek.
"We're here to bring you to the university," said Moonseop ruffling her hair.
"Eh? Why?" she asked.
"Because your cousin told us," said Seungtaek.
"And because your bestfriend has a very bad hangover right now," laughed Moonseop opening the door to his car for Chahye.
"Hyoseob? He went drinking last night?" she asked as she threw her bag inside.
"Yup. Along with Byul, Siyounggie, Taekwon, Hyukwoo hyung and I think Jukyung and Mintaek-ssi went, too," said Seungtaek getting in.
Chahye slid into the car as well beside Seungtaek at the back. Moonseop got into the driver's side. "Woah... I didn't know. Why didn't anyone invite me?! I haven't had a drink for a week now," she said pouting.
"Don't look at us. We didn't even know about it either until this morning," said Moonseop.

The three drove to Seoul National University jamming to Crucial Star's last album. Among all of the members from Buckwilds, Geeks were more like real-life brothers to Chahye. They were just the right amount of adorable, strict, annoying and lovable oppas any sister would want to have. But she still felt a bit of distance from them especially that they are always busy with their shows and work and because both of them have girlfriends they should prioritize more than her. So whenever they had time to be all together, she made sure it was worth the while.

"We heard you were already meeting someone, Chahye-ssi?" asked Moonseop.
"Huh? What do you mean?" asked Chahye not knowing what they meant.
"That you already have a boyfriend?" said Seungtaek.
"Eh?! I don't have a boyfriend! Who told you that?" said Chahye.
"We overheard from some drunk guys last night," laughed Seungtaek.
"I think his name is... Dean?!" smirked Moonseop.
"YAH! OPPA! He's not my boyfriend!" said Chahye hitting his arm.
"Then what is he to you?" asked Seungtaek.
"He... He..." Chahye tried to say.
"See?! You can't even answer straight!" teased Seungtaek.
"Yah! He's just my friend," said Chahye pouting, sitting back.
"We just gotta make sure he doesn't hurt our dongsaeng," said Moonseop.
"You know, if I listen to everyone from your crew, I would end up an old hag," said Chahye smirking.
"We're just protecting you, Chahye," said Seungtaek.
"I know and I appreciate it," she said just as Moonseop parked his car along the rows of vehicles near the university entrance. "Thank you, oppa," she said as she leaned forward to the driver's seat and kissing Moonseop's head. She did the same to Seungtaek and got out of the car.
Seungtaek rolled the car window down. "We don't know who would fetch you after class," he said.
"That's fine. I can take the bus. I don't have part-time at the cafe this season so it's fine," smiled Chahye.
"You said so. See you soon, Chahye!" waved Seungtaek.

That afternoon, Chahye went home alone. She tried calling Crush's phone but he didn't pick up. She was starting to get worried for him. They first got into a fight and then she hears he's been drinking last night. That certainly is no good. She went straight to the studio after having a quick lunch. Their new schedule was from 3pm to 5pm since most of their scheduled practices are only for past choreographies. Dean was yet to release an album again and they haven't listened to it yet.

She was early and already changed into her dancing clothes, black leggings and a big, lose, white shirt. She started stretching in front of the mirrors. It's been a while since she's danced and she wanted to go through some of the songs before the others arrive. She walked over to the speaker to connect her phone when the door opened. Dean peeped his head through the space and looked around. The two caught eyes and both blinked twice.

"Hi," said Dean with his sheepish smile. He opened the door wide and stepped inside.
Chahye just rolled her eyes at him and continued connecting the cord to her phone. Dean walked closer to her and repeated his greeting. "Hi," she said scrolling through her playlist.
"Why are you early?" asked Dean as he stood beside her.
"I wanted to practice," she answered finally choosing "I Love It" and clicking play.
Dean recognized the song playing. "You shouldn't play that while I'm here," he said.
"How come?" she asked as she placed her phone down onto the small table beside the speakers.
"Don't you remember what happened when we first practiced that? Just the two of us?" smirked Dean.

Chahye quickly turned her head to look at Dean, one of her eyebrows raised. She wanted to raise her voice, slightly irritated that he brought such a memory back. But she was unable to talk when her eyes landed onto his face.

"What the happened to you!?!" panicked Chahye when she saw the right corner of his lips in black and blue. The other side had bandages onto it. There was a bruise on his left cheek as well, tried hard to be covered by make-up. She raised both her hands and held his neck down so she could look at it closely. "Who put BB cream on you? They didn't do a good job at it. It's still obvious," she said as she brushed her thumb over his bruise.
"I asked help from Colde earlier. He always had BB Cream with him," said Dean. "Aah.. Ouch.. Chahye," he said gritting his teeth as her other thumb traced his lips.
"Can you tell me what happened to you?! Who did this to you?!" said Chahye, slightly hanging open.
"I just... This is nothing," said Dean as he took one of her hands off of his lips.
"This isn't just nothing. Tell me," she said sternly.
Dean removed both her arms from him and placed them on her side. She still was looking at him and he saw her worry. "Don't be too worried, ami. I'm fine. Thanks for asking and worrying though," he said leaning down and kissing her forehead.

Chahye was surprised by his action and unknowingly pushed him away. Hard. Dean gripped onto his stomach as she hit his bruise there that still was hurting. Chahye once again panicked and held his arms.

"What happened?! Where else were you hurt?!" she asked frantically. Dean just laughed as he stood straight again and smiled at her. "Does your manager know what happened to you!? Did you report this to the police?! , Dean!" she said as she saw him smirking at her. "This isn't a time to play jokes on me."
Dean just giggled and took her hand in his. "I told you. I'm fine. Everything's all right. It's just small bruises," he said.
"No bruise is all right, Dean," she said.
"It'll get better. I already have medicines ready," said Dean. And as if what he said was comforting, he saw Chahye sigh and drop her shoulders to relax.
"You said so," she said. "I'm just glad you're all right. And I don't get it."
"What?" asked Dean.
"You got bruises everywhere and Hyoseob... Did you know that he went drinking last night?" said Chahye. "He isn't answering my calls and he didn't even pick me up."
"Oh. I... I didn't know," Dean lied.
"You two make me worry too much," she said squeezing his hand.
Dean smiled at her actions and tried his best to keep himself from kissing her. He then took a step back, pulling her to follow him. "Your practice is still in an hour. Come to my studio. I have something to show you," he said.
"Wait. My phone," she said letting him go and taking her phone from the speaker.

They went up to Dean's deserted studio. It was Chahye's first time inside and it didn't differ from the other studios she's been inside before; the typical monitors and mixers sprawled on the long table, a piano, speakers, two sofas beside each other on the wall, a table and a recording booth inside, the door beside the monitor table.

"Do you want to sit down?" asked Dean.
"Uhm... What is it you're going to show me?" asked Chahye as she felt uncomfortable being in a closed room with him.
"Well... It's not really going to show itself. I want you to listen to a song," said Dean sitting in front of the main monitor. Chahye just stood behind him, her arms coiled around her body. "Remember when I told you I just finished a song yesterday? We were actually listening to my songs and deciding which ones would fit the album I'm releasing. And this... This played," he said turning his seat around to look at Chahye with a wide smile. He took her hand and held it tight. "This is like...the best song I ever produced and sang. I love it! And... Please listen to it and tell me what you think," he said looking at her with a smile, a very wide smile.
"O-Okay," said Chahye feeling awkward.

Dean turned around and faced the computer once again. Chahye watched as he opened a folder and 18 mp3 files appeared. He chose the fourth track and it played. The sound of a telephone started the song.

"Right now Right now
Could I tell you right now?
Are you still awake
How was your day today?
Nothing happened? What do you mean
Sometimes I look away
But it isn’t easy
I know I know everything
In front of me, you pretend to not 

Bonnie and Clyde Bonnie and Clyde One night
Who cares Who cares
Just friends Just friends Alright
Who cares Who cares
Come quickly come quickly Alright
Who cares Who cares
Till we die till we die Oh

Even if this is our last day together"

Chahye stayed standing, listening. Dean sat on his chair, bobbing his head to the song, sometimes singing along to his own voice.

"Hit the accelerate so we have no worries
So nobody can recognise you Ah yeah
Speed put at the maximum
A rolling stones song Play on
But No matter what song I play
Already in your heart
Crying has already filled it
No song could save that
I’ll hold you
Even when the world turns its back on you
You can lean on me Oooh
We are no more than friends

I know I know Woo"

Dean turned his chair and stood up, looking straight at Chahye. He stepped closer to her and sang the lines to her. He smiled then walked around her. Chahye was starting to feel uneasy but she kept her calm.

"Bonnie and Clyde Bonnie and Clyde One night
Who cares Who cares
Just friends Just friends Alright
Who cares Who cares
Come quickly come quickly Alright
Who cares Who cares
Till we die till we die Oh
Even if this is our last day together

Even still
Would you remember me?
Nah nah I’m juss…

Alright Even if this is the wrong choice
Alright Even if i regret it after
Baby
Ooh you’re going back to the guy who made you cry
Ooh the result is already out of my hands
Bang Bang!

Right now right now
Where you at right now…
Where am I right now

Girl
I want want you to know
Babe I want you to know
How much I love you

How much I need you"

She felt him stand just right behind her, singing softly along. She was still listening to the song but she was finding it hard to concentrate especially when one of his hands sneaked its way around her waist and rested on her belly. Chahye bowed her head low just as he leaned close to her ear, singing.

Just as the last line came, Dean turned her around to face him and their eyes met. "How much I need you," Dean sang as he pushed Chahye's chin up to look at him with his thumb, staring, saying nothing. They stayed like that for a while until the next song played, "Pour Up." Dean then brushed his thumb across her lips and Chahye raised a hand to hold his arm. He leaned down slowly for a kiss but just as his bottom lip touched hers, she turned her head away. They were still holding each other but not looking.

"Any girl would tell you that kissing someone with a cut lip is sort of disgusting," said Chahye as she let him go.
"Right..." said Dean stepping back. "I'm sorry about that."
"It's fine... I guess," she said crossing her arms. Dean covered his mouth with his hand and walked over to the monitor to stop the music playing. Chahye followed him with her eyes and smiled. She knew he was embarrassed. "About the song..." she said wanting to change the topic. But Dean turned to look at her with a confused look. "You wanted me to give my two cents on the song, right? Here it is," she said.
"Oh. Right. Right. Okay. Spill it," said Dean leaning against the table and crossing his arms as well.
"First, I like it. I listen to trap songs and I like it. But most of the trap songs I hear are raps. Hearing you sing to the whole song was refreshing. It was different," smiled Chahye.
"Thank you," smiled Dean in victory.
"You're welcome," said Chahye. "But it's definitely not going to be my bed time song. Hearing you sing it live was better though," she said sincerely.
"Of course. Singing it live would be different. Singing it in front of you would be totally different as well," smirked Dean.
"Wh-what do you mean?" stuttered Chahye as she tilted her head. She had an idea about what he was about to say but she didn't want to say it.
"I wrote Bonnie&Clyde with you in mind," answered Dean. "Well... It really only happened yesterday but I've been dreaming of days I could hold you in my arms..." he said standing up and walking towards her. Chahye gulped as he approached and reached for the hair that sprawled over her shoulders, pushing it back. "You calling me a friend and in the end, telling you how much I love you, how much I need you," he said in a soft voice.
"Th-Thanks..." stuttered Chahye as Dean brushed his fingers across her cheek.
"No one has to know, Chahye. Bonnie and Clyde," he said taking a step closer, the space between their bodies just enough for air to pass through.

Chahye couldn't understand it but she froze immediately as she felt his fingers rest at the back her neck, holding her. She was breathing fast and her heart was racing. She knew what would happen next and yet her hands died to hold him by his waist, wanting to tell him that she wanted it. She shouldn't be thinking of that. Dean leaned down once more and she closed her eyes waiting for his lips on hers.

But just as his bottom lip touched hers, they both heard the door to the studio turn. They froze in mid-air realizing that someone was about to step inside the studio. And as if by reflex, Chahye pushed Dean away, hitting his stomach. Dean groaned in pain as he clutched his sides, one eye open and looking straight at her.

"Aish. You didn't have to push me that hard, Chahye," said Dean gritting his teeth.
"Oh my god, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to," she said walking over to him.

Just then, Dean's manager came walking in with Jusen and 2xxx! behind him. They all saw Dean with his arm around his stomach while Chahye apologized.

"Chahye-ssi?" Jusen called.
Chahye looked at them and gasped. "Jusen-ssi," she said.
"Aren't you one of the dancers?" asked the manager.
"Uhm... Yes, I am," answered Chahye.
"The others are already downstairs. What were you doing here?" asked Jusen.
"I... I was just," Chaye tried to say, afraid that she could slip in front of Dean's manager.
"I brought her here to listen to my song, hyung," said Dean. "She just accidentally hit my stomach and my bruises hurt again."
"Aish. I told you. You should have just stayed at home," said 2xxx! walking over to his friend.