69..

Of Truth and Love

Jin Bada was sitting in his balcony looking over the trees beside his house. His room used to be the one facing the river. But 20 years ago, he moved out and took the room next to it, the one overlooking the forest and its darkness.

His darkness.

Today, he was only going to rest. There were many problems in his company that needed tending. But those can wait. His executives can work on a plan. He mainly just needed to overlook their plans and execution. And Sunday was his rest day. He needed it.

He was sitting on a love seat that he turned into his own bed during his lazy hours. On the coffee table in front of him laid the book he was reading. He decided to close his eyes and doze off. In the last few days, he's been feeling really jolly. The image of the young girl he met at the office flashed through his head. Even for a while, he saw her smile. She was beautiful, just like his late love. He remembers her name as though it was etched on his heart ad mind. Never did he imagine that he would see her there. He heard her voice and it slowly made a smile creep into his face. If only he was brave enough to have held her that day, even in front of his staff.

But suddenly, he heard shouting coming from the hallway. "Changmi-ah..." he hummed as he recognized who the voice belonged to. There was rapping on his door. He opened his eyes and waited.

"I am coming in, master!" shouted Changmi from outside.

He heard the door open and he slowly took his cane from beside the sofa. Changmi appeared in front of him with a bow.

"Master, I have news," she said smiling.
"What is it, Changmi-ah?" he asked as he got ready to get up.
"The young princess, master. She is downstairs," said Changmi.

~

Dean and Chahye sat on one of the white leather couches across a one-seater and a small coffee table. There was a piano close to the bar that led to the great dining are, the kitchen counter visible from there. A high book case rested beside the staircase leading upstairs. A big television was mounted on the hall leading to the dining area. The living area had two walls covered in glass, the curtains drawn to let in the sun and give everyone a good view of the outside. One side showed the trees lined up. The other side showed another porch leading to a backyard and a pool with no water in it.

Chahye watched as she saw people walking outside in a hurry. The people inside the house started working faster, everyone hurrying. Dean was holding her hand tightly with both of his. He saw how her eyes darted everywhere.

"Hey. Are you all right?" he asked as he pushed the hair back from her shoulder. 
"I'm... I'm all right," she answered not looking at him.

The old man came back from the kitchen now wearing a good pair of pants and a button up shirt. "I'm sorry about my appearance earlier. I wasn't also able to introdue myself. My name is Ahn Youngsoo, the master servant here," he said bowing 90 degrees to them.
The two bowed as they sat. "I apologize but... Who are all of those people?" asked Chahye pointing outside.
"Those are servants inside the house, miss. Gardeners, cleaners, drivers, maids, health aids and cooks. The master only wishes to rest during Sundays and thus, all of us are here," Youngsoo said.
"But... You call yourselves, servants? Isn't that... Too old styled? It's already the 21st century," said Chahye in a rebellious tone.
"We call ourselves that in front of other people," said Youngsoo eyeing Dean. "This is the house of a very prominent family and some of us are children of the first servants from way back to 1940's. But to the master, we are family. We are the only ones he has left... Not until you came back, young princess," he smiled as he looked back at Chahye.
"But... I'm not a princess," she said.

Suddenly, they heard footsteps coming from the stairs. Immediately, Chahye stood up at attention. Dean followed her lead. They watched as feet appeared from the stairs slowly, revealing the person coming down. Ahn Youngsoo bowed his head as the man stepped on the floor. He caught eyes with Dean and smiled faintly. Slowly, he shot his gaze at Chahye and smiled ever so warmly.

"You... Aren't you the man that visited Joombas the other day?" asked Chahye.
"I am, dear," smiled Bada.
"Then... You... I mean... We... We've already met," she said, her heart racing faster than usual.
"Yes, dear," said Bada walking closer to the two.

Chahye kept on looking at him. She remembers clearly how she felt when she first saw him at Joombas and exchanged warm smiles with him. She felt an unusual tugging in her heart as they looked at each other. She was finally looking at her father, his face forlorn by the years gone by. She let Dean go and took a step forward. Knowing how she fairs with older men and those she doesn't know, he kept his palm on her back and followed her.

"We met... And you never told me you were my father?" said Chahye breathing hard.
"My child... I'm sorry. Please understand," said Bada as he reached his hand out, wanting to touch her. "I have kept you a secret all my life but the heavens know how much I wanted to see you again."
"Wh-why didn't you then?" she asked trying hard to stop her tears from coming. "Why didn't you look for me?"
Bada opened his mouth to answer but closed them back together and reached both his arms out, leaving his cane to drop to the floor, Changmi immediately rushing to pick it up. "Can I hold you my child?"

Chahye didn't answer but somehow her arms threw themselves open slowly for him. Bada walked closer, his right hand slowly and gently touching her cheek. His other hand held her shoulder and he slowly pulled her into his embrace, her face burrowing into his chest.

Dean let her go. Chahye's lips started to shake as she wanted to speak. Her arms shook as they stayed in mid-air, unable to touch the person hugging her. Her body was refusing to do what her mind has always wanted to do. She felt her heartbeat racing and her tears already welling up. She was scared.

"I have waited for so long for this day, Chahye-ah," smiled Bada as he felt himself close to tears. He was finally holding his youngest child, the one he adored so much and yet unable to show it for years.

He felt her arms on his sides, not holding him unlike what he was hoping. "You can hold me, Chahye-ah," said Bada.

But she couldn't.

She was shaking and her tears started falling down. Why was she like that? She thought. Shouldn't she be happy that she finally saw her father? Why was she shaking at his touch? Does her fear also include him? Why?! She felt him let her go and she finally had a view of her hands that were shaking.

"Wh-why.... Why am I afraid of you?!" she said as tears came down her face, her breathing starting to speed up.
"Chahye-ah... What are you saying?" said Bada reaching for her arm again.

But Chahye stepped back with a scream. "Don't touch me!" she exclaimed with a low groan. But Bada stepped closer again, wanting to calm her down, to hold her another time. But just as he held her arm, she screamed again, crying, her vision already dark. "Chahye... What is happening to you?!" Bada started to ask.

Dean saw as she tried to pull her arm away from her father. Her cries suddenly turned into wails just as Bada tried to calm her. He realized she was having one of her tantrums again and rushed to her side, taking her away from Bada's hold. The old man only watched as his daughter cried relentlessly as though someone was hurting her. Youngsoo rushed to his master and held his arm in case he needed to balance himself. Chahye's state also surprised him.

"Chahye... Stop. It's all right," he said comfortingly as he held both of her arms, trying to turn her around and face him.
"Don't touch me! He was right there!" she cried.
"No. He's not there. You're safe," said Dean showing a calm face towards her.
"No! Eomma! Eomma!" she cried refusing to open her eyes. "Jiho... Jiho!" she screamed.
"Jiho's not here, Chahye... But it's all right... I got you," said Dean as he hugged her, rubbing her back, trying to calm her down.

She continued to cry in his chest as though she wouldn't stop. Dean looked at Bada and apologetically bowed his head. "What is happening, boy?" the man asked. 
"She... She's not comfortable... with men. Other men," answered Dean as he felt her hold around his waist loosen up.

Bada opened his mouth to talk when he realized what Dean was talking about. But just then, Dean's calm face changed. Chahye started to slide down in front of him. He was just in time to catch her by the arms before her knees touched the floor.

"Chahye... Chahye..." said Dean as he raised her up. Her eyes were closed, face wet and unconscious. He virtually had to slap himself for not asking Zico what to do if Chahye ended up like this.
"Youngsoo-ah, help him out," said Bada as he pushed the younger man towards Dean. Together, they kept Chahye up as Dean tried to snap her back to consciousness. "Bring her up to my room and make her rest," said Bada. "Changmi-ssi, bring water and some food upstairs so she can get her strength back," he instructed.

Dean raised her feet and carried Chahye bridal style and followed Youngsoo up the stairs. For someone as skinny as Chahye, she was pretty heavy. They entered a big room with a king-sized bed covered in white sheets. Youngsoo instructed him to lay Chahye on it. He quickly ran back outside just as Dean lifted her legs on the bed, removing her doll shoes from her feet.

He saw her wet face and could only imagine what she felt earlier. Fear. Sadness. Anxiety. Joy. All of those must have mixed up, overwhelmed her and made her lose consciousness. He rubbed his left thumb across her cheek and wiped away the tear that escaped her eye one last time. He reached for her hand squeezed it tight as he sat right beside her. "I'm here. I won't leave you," he said.

"You can put that on the table, Changmi," heard Dean from behind him. It was Bada standing right next to the door, watching the maid put a small basin on the bed side table and a pair of white hand towales beside it. "You can leave us," he finally said, making Changmi bow and rush outside, leaving them to their privacy. Dean watched as The old man sat on the single sofa right beside the bed, the open window behind him, revealing the river right across the house.

"I should have been cautious in touching her," said Bada as he held his can in between his legs. "Is she still suffering from that trauma?" he asked.
Dean nodded. "She is. She's only ever so brave when her cousins are around," he answered.
"Her cousins...," Bada said in a soft tone. "How are they? I heard the younger one is doing better than Jisuk-ssi," he said.
Dean looked up and smiled. "He is... Maybe. Jisuk hyung is rather different than Jiho," he answered with a smile. But then he stopped and looked around to face Bada. "How do you know them?"
"Her cousins? I was once introduced to them," he answered putting his came down.
"How?" Dean repeated 
"Jihye. Her mom. Their aunt. I used to visit Jihye when she was still with her sister. Jisuk-ssi was just a year old then," said Bada, a faint smile creeping onto his lips.
"But... How do you know..." Dean started.
"Aren't you Dean?" the old man said not letting the boy finish.
"I... I am... I'm sorry for not introducing myself," said Dean letting Chahye's hand go to stand up.
But Bada raised his hand ar him and he stopped, slowly returning to sit beside his girlfriend. "No need. I already know who you are," he said.
"Uhm... Can I ask you something?" inquired Dean. Bada just raised his eyebrows at him waiting for him to continue. "Your name is Jin Bada. Is there a chance that...that you're the same person who owns Joombas?" he asked.
"Smart boy," smiled Bada. "I am. And I didn't see you when I made an inspection at the building."
"I...I'm sorry. I was out with friends then," the younger answered.
"I know. I was told," said Bada. "And I was also told that you are Chahye's boyfriend." Dean only smiled and couldn't look straight at him. "No need to feel shy, boy. You shouldn't be when my daughter is proud of you," he said.
Dean raised his head and asked, "What do you mean?"
"I met her the other day and Jeffrey told me she was your girlfriend. Chahye looked straight at me and said yes with a beautiful smile. She must love you so much to do so in front of other people. Therefore, you must also be proud of her," he said.

Dean looked back at the resting Chahye and a smile formed on his lips. It made him feel overwhelmed to know that she was happy with him, about their relationship although she was never vocal to him about it.

"What made it happen?" Bada asked.
Dean looked back at the old man. "I'm sorry?" he asked.
"What made you two fall in love with each other?" he asked.
"Oh. That... Well... Uhm... It's sort of... Complicated," Dean hesitated to answer.
"We have all day to talk about it, Dean-ssi," said Bada. Or at least, until she wakes up.
Dean just smiled and sat comfortably in front him, his hand on one of Chahye's. "She never did like me but I pursued her anyway. You can say that I stalked her. I flirted with her. I'm sorry if you're hearing this. Until one day, I finally felt that I was really in love. She was, too. We've been together for a month now, I think," he said.
"What made her trust you?" Bada asked, her tone becoming more serious.
Dean saw his eyes and he prepared his explanation. "Honestly, when I think about it, I don't even know why she chose to trust me," he said looking back at Chahye, her face returning to a calm state, her breathing now stable. "I... I think rather than her needing me, I needed her more. I trusted her more. Even before I learned about her story, she was the one that seemed to know more about me than I did with her. She showed me she's willing to be there for me, to join me in both my ups and downs," said Dean witha smile. "Me? I did my best to show her that I could be there for her, despite my busy schedule, despite the fact that I need to be careful in case people find out. Her cousins made me so curious about her because they kept saying I didn't know her. I guess, I really don't. But as time goes by, she's started to open up to me. I learned about her brother, her fear of people, the past people that she loved, her friends, her past."
"What about it do you know? How was she able to tell it to you?" asked Bada in worry.
"I... I mean... We... We did it, sir," said Dean looking straight at him. Believing that they were thinking of the same thing, Bada motioned him to go on. "We had a few drinks before that but it was consensual. But I sensed her hesitation. I would have never let her if she didn't say yes. After that, she was crying. We talked and she opened up. And it hurt my heart because I couldn't imagine what she's been through all those years. And yet, she grew up to be such a strong woman. I felt as though I didn't deserve her love. Until now, I still don't think I can show her the love she has never felt before."
"Can I ask you, Dean?" said Bada getting his attention once again. "Why did she want to come here? What made her do it?"
"I don't know, sir," he answered. "I saw the money you sent her and I asked her, thinking she was meeting someone else. She didn't tell me about it until this morning when I fetched her. She said me seeing the money meant that she should already end all of this. Maybe she's been thinking about it for a long time already. She just needed a reason."
"And her reason is you," smiled Bada.
"Maybe. I don't know," said Dean. He looked back at the old man and this time, with hesitation. "Can I ask you this time?"
"Sure," he answered.
"Is it true what I heard? Are you handing Joombas completely to Hyuk Shin hyung?" asked Dean.
"Did Jeffrey tell you?" smiled Bada.

Just then, Youngsoo walked into the room with a familiar man following him. The two men inside both stood up.

"I'm sorry, master. But Mr. Lee has come to visit you," said Youngsoo stepping aside to reveal a man in a suit.
"Ah... Junyoung-ssi. It is nice to see you today," said Bada.
Dean bowed and so did Mr. Lee. But as they both raised their heads, Dean couldn't avoid but open his mouth in surprise. "You," said Mr. Lee.
"Aren't... Aren't you...Chahye's lawyer?!" said Dean instantly looking at Bada.
"So you two have met before?" asked Bada taking a seat again.
"We have. But what are you doing here, boy?" asked Mr. Lee. Dean didn't answer. He removed his suit jacket and placed it above his briefcase on a chair. He looked back at Dean and noticed that he was holding a hand. He walked towards him with caution and was surprised to see who the hand belonged to. "Goodness gracious. What happened to Chahye?!" exclaimed Mr. Lee, almost shoving Dean away from the bed.
"Junyoung. Calm yourself. Chahye is fine. I have touched her and she reacted poorly," said Bada.
Mr. Lee looked at the old man and then back at Dean who nodded. He leaned down towards Chahye and touched her head. "Jin Chahye," he said. "I have never felt this nervous about you since 12 years ago," he continued, a statement Dean found strange.
"She will be all fine, Junyoung," said Bada. "Since all of you are here, would you mind spending dinner here? My son would love to meet you," he invited.
"Are you sure about that, Bada-nim?" asked Mr. Lee as he stood back up again.
"I am sure of it, Junyoung. He already knows," said Bada standing up. "Now... Can I ask you two to step out of this room? I want a moment with my daughter," he said walking towards the bed ever so slowly.
"I... I don't think that's a good idea," said Dean worried that Chahye would freak out if she wakes up with a man she barely knows.
But Mr. Lee held his shoulder and made him look at him. "Come on, boy. It's all right. We can ask one of the female maids to wait at the door," he said.