46..

Of Truth and Love

Dean and Crush has been taking turns in fetching Chahye and bringing her to the university in the morning. It highly depends on who's available or who already has had enough sleep. Most of the time, it's Crush taking her in the morning. Dean hardly ever fetches her after her classes. But she didn't mind. 

Daejung left home early to go to school. Chahye wasn't waiting for anyone to pick her up because both Dean and Crush weren't answering their phones. She still came down early to check though. Crush usually stays at the parking lot for hours after his time in the studio, just waiting for her. This morning, someone else was waiting for.

"Mr. Lee. Good morning," greeted Chahye with a bow as the man walked over to the steps up to the building entrance. "What made you come here so early?" she asked the man in a gray suit.
"I'm here to give you his letter," he said, taking out another one of those white envelopes containing paper she never even opened.
"Didn't I tell you to tell him to stop? He's going nowhere with this," said Chahye still taking the envelope from his hands.
"Chahye-ah..." said Mr. Lee in a soft manner. "He only wants to see you. Whatever happens after is up to the two of you."
"And I don't care," answered Chahye.
"He only has little time left in this world, Chahye. Please give him a chance," said Mr. Lee.
Chahye took a long stare at the envelope in her hands. She sighed and looked up at her lawyer. "You can leave now, Mr. Lee. I still have classes to go to today. Thank you," she said with a slight bow.
"I'll be contacting you soon, Chahye. Please take care," Lee said.
"You as well," said Chahye smiling.

Chahye watched as Mr. Lee got into his car parked near the entrance and drove away. Just as he exited, another car drove through, a gray one. Chahye looked back at the envelope in her hand. The name on the back was the same as each and every one that came through her mailbox for the past 8 months. She should be thankful to him with the slightest remorse. But she didn't. But he never faltered in his endeavor to get her attention. And recently, taking the assistance of her lawyer to get to her.

"What should I do?" she told herself.

"With what?!" a man close by said.

Chahye looked back up and tilted her head at the sight of the person in front of her. Millic. He was wearing a huge jacket and a beanie. He had earphones plugged in and a coffee cup in his hand.

"Millic?" she said wondering why he was there.
"Yes?" he said.
"What are you doing here?" she asked as she stuffed the envelope into her bag's front pocket.
"Well... Your best friend said he couldn't come here today. Too drunk from last night. Then... My best friend said he couldn't come either because he just finished a song at least 2 hours ago. They both sent me here," he said smiling sheepishly.
Chahye tilted her head and raised an eyebrow at him. "The truth?!" she said sensing he was hiding something.
"Both of them forgot about you and they were already asleep in Zico hyung's studio. Your cousin sent me," laughed Millic. "How did you even know I was lying?!"
"Because Jiho sent a message in the Buckwilds chat group saying they were drinking while recording last night. I really should have left earlier," she said.
"Aaawww. No. I wouldn't have caught you and take you to the university," pouted Millic.
"Well, at least it's you and not someone else," smiled Chahye. "Let's go?" she said taking his arm and pulling him to walk.
"Want some coffee?" asked Millic showing him his cup.
"Nah. I'm good," she answered.
"Good. It's already empty anyway," laughed Millic as he aimed the cup at the nearby garbage bin and threw it in. "And there goes three points for Cheon Senghyun!" he cheered when it got in perfectly.
Chahye could only shake her head at his antics. "Why did you even ask me if I wanted some?!" she asked.
"Nothing," he said sticking his tongue out.

They both got in Millic's car and was soon travelling to Gwaknakgu, to Seoul National University. It was the first time Chahye rode with him and she enjoyed their time together so much. He constantly had music playing over the stereo and he even drummed his fingers on the steering wheel along with it. Chahye sang for him, especially when CJamm's Eumagida played.

"Have you noticed how Dean and Hyoseob hyung are becoming closer recently?" asked Millic.
"Yeah. I noticed. Actually... Other than his work, Dean and your crew are the only reasons he doesn't spend time with me anymore," said Chahye.
"If I wasn't in the same crew as them, I would say Dean has already abandoned me," laughed Millic.
"We should become best friends instead," suggested Chahye, laughing at the humor she saw in her statement.
"Yes. That can be arranged," said Millic in English. "We are both 93-liners anyway," he said smiling.
"Yeah. Most of my closest friends are form the 93-line anyway. Hyeontae, Byul..." said Chahye staring at him, ne of his hands on the steering wheel. "You know, you look much cooler than Dean when you drive," she said observing how his eyes were concentrated on the road.
"Really? I'll take that as a compliment. It's very rare people say they like me more than Dean," said Millic.
"Hahaha! Well, you're really more of the crazy, friendly guy. And Dean's just on a different level of handsome," smiled Chahye as she brought her eyes back on the road.
Millic smiled and stole a look at her, grinning to herself. "So... Are you saying you like him already?" he teased.
"What? No. I'm just saying that he's handsome," said Chahye. "And we all know that's a truth."
"You should just really admit that you like him. It's obvious," he said.
"I don't like him," insisted Chahye. "How many times should you tease me about this?"
"Until you finally say it. There's no harm in admitting it, Chahye. He'll make you fall for him anyway," smiled Millic.

Chahye looked at her friend and remained smiling all through their drive. Slowly, her and Millic have become even better friends. She appreciated that he was always so jolly and . She never gets annoyed by him. And while Dean and Crush were busy doing artist stuff, Chahye and Millic usually have time alone and joke around, usually with both of them spilling secrets about their bestfriends.

Millic also enjoys her company. Being someone that speaks English, he appreciates it when Chahye talks to him in that language. She was even better than him even though she never stayed long in a different country. He discovered that she was a scholar at Seoul University, one of the most prestigious universities in their country. And she was also a straight A student, from high school to college. Incredivle even bragged about how they never got to talk to Chahye back then because she was immersed in reading. He looks up to her for being such a nice person who's smart and works really hard despite not having the best kind of life. She has this mysterious feel about her as well and Millic agrees with Dean. You just can't stop yourself from wanting to know more about her.

"Do you need someone to pick you up later? I'm free," said Millic as he parked his car.
"No. I have to attend a film screening at 1pm. I can travel back to Mapo-gu after with some classmates," answered Chahye as she removed her seatbelt.
"You sure?" he asked.
"Yes. Don't worry," she smiled.
"Okay. I'll see you then! Bye, Cha!"

~

Chahye was walking through the student lounge in the College of Language towards the AV room in the College of Visual Arts which is the next building after theirs. Unlike most lunch times she has ever experienced in this university, today might as well be the noisiest ever. And she doesn't even know why.

A lot of students were outside their rooms or halls, whispering and talking to each other. This is pretty normal in Seoul National University but Chahye knew they weren't talking about courses or subjects. She tried to listen and learn what it was all about, but all she could understand were the words "singer" and "leaked". Whatever that means, she knew it wasn't in the field they were all studying for. And it was too early for all of them to be talking about final exams or internship. Which later reminded her that she still needs to look for a company to intern for.

Some people were grouped up in cliques, mostly girls, who were actually a large percentage to the noise building up. To Chahye, they look like they were studying, if not for the hand phones they were all holding. Although she is very well-versed with computers, she wasn't the type to hold on to her phone all of the time, taking selcas and eventually posting it on SNS. She had a CyWorld, a Facebook and a Twitter but she barely uses them as she never has the time to do so, not to mention the awkwardly high price to pay to have mobile internet. 

Just as Chahye was about to cross the lobby, she saw her cousin walking towards her.

"I knew you'd be here," he said as he spread his arms out for her.
"Hey. Have you had lunch yet?" she asked as he released him.
"I was just about to. How about you?" asked Jiho as he turned around and made sure no one was following him or aiming a camera at them.
"I had a snack earlier. I can't have lunch. I have a film to watch at the Arts building at 1pm," she answered as she took a step forward.
"Is that the film about sign language?" asked Jiho as he walked beside her slowly. Chahye nodded to confirm. "Eh? You guys are required to watch that?" he asked.
"Unfortunately, yes. But it wouldn't be too bad. I used to study the American sign language, remember?" answered Chahye.
"Then who am I gonna go out with lunch, then?" asked Jiho pouting.
"Have you asked Jihoon yet?" said Chahye.
"Yeah. And he was still asleep when I called," said Jiho.

As they were walking towards the door, Chahye saw a familiar face running in their direction. It was Jihye. As she stepped inside and saw them, she immediately stopped and had to catch her breath. Chahye walked over to her and asked what the problem was. She looked very much in a hurry and she didn't have subjects in the Language building.

"I just had to see you because... because I know you wouldn't see it if I didn't show you," said Jihye as she stood in front of Chahye, opening her bag and looking for her phone. She looked up quickly and greeted Jiho as well. "It's a good thing you're here, too oppa," said Jihye.
"What is it, Jihye?" asked Chahye.

Their friend finally pulled out her phone from her bag and scrolled through it. Jihye saw the correct page and immediately showed it to them. It was an article brought up on a Facebook news page. Chahye read silently while Jiho mouthed everything.

"One of the tracks off of Dean's album leaked. Netizens saying the title is Bonnie and Clyde," read Jiho. "Whoever leaked this song has my support. The song is amazing. Amazing. your . He wasn't supposed to drop that yet," he cursed as he read some comments on the post.
Chahye read some comments below the post and her heart started to ache. "Dean..." she said softly.
"How did you know about that?" asked Jiho.
"Some of my classmates started talking about Dean. One of them knew that I'm Crush's sister and she started asking me things. I didn't answer and just left. But I think that's what everyone's been talking about," said Jihye as all three of them looked around, people watching them or with their groups gossiping 
"So that's what one of my classmates told me," said Jiho. "She told me to tell Dean he sounds good."
"I remember Hyoseob oppa telling me that Dean was really preparing for this release and that he had one song that was special to him," said Jihye as she hid her phone away.

Chahye didn't speak. She knew, just like Jiho, that Dean was excited to drop his album. She knew he was working hard for it. They just filmed the music video recently and "Bonnie&Clyde" was his favorite song, his masterpiece. She remembered the day Dean made her listen to it. He was really happy and the way he sang along to his own song was sincerely amazing. Dean must be feeling too bad right now.

"I wonder if he already knows," said Jihye sadly.
"He probably has," concluded Jiho.
"He must be mad and disappointed right now," Chahye finally spoke up.
"He must be. It when something you've been working on is leaked. It takes away all of the excitement and effort to make it amazing," said Jiho.