53..

Of Truth and Love

The people were swarming everywhere. One of the most awaited events in the Korean hiphop scene is anything organized by HIPHOPPLAYA, the biggest and most prominent webzine dedicated to the scene. There were more people at the festival this year than the one held in 2014 where there were only shows lined up for the whole weekend. This time around, the first two days offered booths and sales all affiliated with the scene. The last day, today, was the concert finale. And since the venue is an open space along Hanjing river, the turn out of the audience was extremely big, a mix of Korean and international alike. 

Dean came to Hanjing River with Crush and his dog, Doyou.. They soon gathered backstage with Hi Lite, Vismajor and Just Music. The MKIT RAIN rappers were currently at the autograph booths having some time with their fans. Dean and Crush prepared stages together and they were excited. BeWhy and Giriboy approached the two before the show starts.

"Good to see you here, hyung," said BeWhy greeting Crush.
"Yeah. You barely go out," said Crush as they bumped shoulders.
"So, is it true what I heard?" asked Giriboy. The two just looked at him, waiting for him to continue. "Is it true you and Chahye are finally together?" he asked.
"Eh? Chahye? Jin Chahye?" asked BeWhy.
"Nae. We're together now," smiled Dean.
"You really are something huh," said Giriboy.
"Wait. We are talking about my friend, Chahye, right?" asked BeWhy again.
"We are," said Crush.
"Woah. She finally has a boyfriend again?" said BeWhy. "Too bad Cjamm isn't here. He usually tries to dig up anything to tease Chahye with," he continued laughing.
"Too bad she isn't here though," laughed Giriboy with him.
"She never comes to shows like this," said BeWhy kicking his feet to the ground.
"Uhm... How come?" asked Dean.
"Didn't she tell you?" asked Giriboy. "She's scared of a huge crowd. She never comes to concerts or shows."
"At least not without Zico hyung," said BeWhy.
"She's scared of people?" asked Dean looking at Crush.
"It's a fear. A trauma thing," said Crush.
"Didn't she tell you?" said BeWhy. Dean just shook his head.
"Well... Chahye has this slight fear in big crowds. Not really too much... But she doesn't go unless she's with her cousins or any of her friends," said Giriboy.
"But she said she had things to finish today so I didn't ask her anymore," said Dean.
"Oh. Is that so?" the older said.
"Yeah. Hyung, she told us before that she was preparing for her internship," said BeWhy.
"Too bad she isn't here though. Did you know that Chahye is Vasco hyung's favorite dancer? Well, at least. She's close with everyone from Just Music since Swings hyung likes her, too," said Giriboy.
"I was the reason they met actually," said Crush proudly.
"Doesn't Hwaji hyung know her, too?" asked BeWhy.
"I'm not sure. Let's ask him," said Giriboy.
"Oh yeah. Code Kunst hyung said he'll be here today with Epik High," said BeWhy.
"Code Kunst hyung never misses a chance to hang out with Vismajor," said Crush.

Just then, Vismajor was up next for the autograph booth. Wutan and Nucksal shouted at Giriboy and threw him a hat. "I'll get that back once we're through okay," said Nucksal. Dean took this time to pull Crush to a corner and talk to him.

"What does he mean?" he asked.
"He doesn't mean anything," said Crush.
"Is that why Chahye didn't dance before? Is that why she barely goes out alone? Why didn't you tell me she had that kind of fear?" asked Dean.
"It should have been obvious by now, Dean. Have you ever seen Chahye go out alone?" asked Crush, Dean unable to answer. "That's why I go out and buy groceries with her. That's why Zico always wants someone to take her to the university. That's why everywhere she goes, people say they met her because of Buckwilds. She's never allowed to go anywhere alone."
"What caused that fear, hyung?" asked Dean.
"That's what we've been telling you all over again. She's the one to tell you that. Not us," answered Crush. "So if you could excuse me, I have a G2 and Paloalto hyung to talk to."

~

It was Monday. Somehow, something made Dean drive all the way to her apartment building early in the morning. He was hoping she was still home. They didn't meet that Sunday. Chahye spent time with Daejung and their cousins. Well, Zico was busy but Taewoon wanted to see her, she said. Dean was at HIGHGRND busy with the final touches to Lee Hi's album. He was sort of regretful that he wasn't able to see her yesterday since she showed signs of being jealous of him spending time with the female artist. But he knew she understood that it was all just for work.

Since he was still in the studio until 3 in the morning, Zico told him he'd take Chahye to the university instead. But even with their agreement, Dean still drove over to her apartment after his session in the studio.

After having a talk with Crush and about her fear of people, Dean felt uneasy. Crush was right. The signs were already there when he met Chahye. The way she avoided parties, the way she trembled at his touch, the way she didn't talk to people she didn't know during their first meeting, the way she reacted when he confronted her at Mad Clown's party, the way everyone seemed to be too overprotective with her. They all fit and he didn't even realized it. The only thing left unanswered was why. He trusted her. He did. But he knew she wasn't telling him everything. And there was still her past she never seemed to have the guts to tell her. And he knew, that even with them finally being together, he just couldn't squeeze the whole truth from her so easily.

Half an hour passed and Dean finally saw Chahye walk down from their building, Daejung right behind him. Good thing he parked at the far left of the parking lot, away from their initial sight. And there was another man with them. "That's the same guy," he told himself when his face came into full view. He was wearing a suit and the usual briefcase he was carrying the same day they first met. Daejung bowed to them and walked out of the compound heading to the bus stop.

Chahye turned around to bow at the man. But just then, Dean saw Zico's car pull up right in front of them. He got out and a smile flashed onto Zico's face when he saw the man in the suit. "He knows him?" he thought to himself.

A few moments later, Chahye was following Zico into his car and they both got in. The man waited for the car to disappear from sight before he started walking to his own. Dean grabbed this opportunity to get off and approach him, although in the back of his mind, he mentally slapped himself for not approaching Chahye to greet her a good morning.

"Hey you," called Dean.
The man turned around and saw him. "Oh. It's you again," he said continuing with his pace.
"Isn't it a bit too early for you to visit her?" Dean asked.
"It's actually pretty late since Chahye needed to come to her internship a bit earlier," the man said looking at his watch, a meter away from his car.
"Who are you really?" asked Dean.
The man turned around to look at him and tilted his head. "She hasn't told you yet? I thought she would have since you're already her boyfriend," he said.
"How did you know about that?" inquired Dean.
"Chahye told me just this morning," smiled the man as he stepped closer to his car.
"Then who are you? I want to know."

The man now stood in front of his car. But before opening his car door, he turned around and smiled at Dean.

"My name is Junyoung Lee. I am Chahye's lawyer," the man said with a slight bow.
"Lawyer?! What does she need a lawyer for?!" asked Dean in surprise.
"She hasn't told you yet, eh?" smiled Mr. Lee. He opened the door to his car and leaned on it slightly. "It's something complicated, Mr. Kwon. I would rather she open this topic to you than me divulging my client's affairs. Now, if you would excuse me," he said with a smile.
"Wait. So Zico.... I mean, Jiho and Hyoseob... Do they know about you?" asked Dean.
"Oh yes. They have been following her case since it ever started," answered Mr. Lee. "It was nice meeting you, Mr. Kwon. Until next time."

The man got back into his car and drove away, leaving Dean in the parking lot with even more questions than answers.

"Why does she need you?" he asked himself.