33..

Of Truth and Love

Daejung was already out of the door of their apartment waiting for his sister to come out. They just came back here after having breakfast at their cousins'. He insisted they go out shopping early to avoid the stream of people also doing their last-minute shopping. Dean already sent Daejung a text message that he was already downstairs with a friend. He told Chahye about inviting a friend with them and she couldn't believe that it was Dean.

"How did you even know about Dean?" asked Chahye as she locked the door to their apartment.
"I met him...because of Hyuk hyung," said Daejung.
"Are you even sure about that? I didn't know they were friends," said Chahye. "Well, other than having the other members of his crew in HIGHGRND," said Chahye looking at her brother as she slung her bag behind her.
"There's really a lot of things you have to be aware of in the music scene, noona," huffed Daejung as he walked towards the stairs.
"Hey. I know a lot," said Chahye following him downstairs.

She didn't believe her brother. She couldn't believe Dean already met him without her knowing, added by the fact that Hyuk didn't bother to tell her as well. And judging with Daejung's attitude towards other people, it was unlikely he and Dean would get along so soon to invite each other to hang out.

As Chahye reached the lobby and walked out of the building, she just had to hang open. Daejung turned around to look at her with a playful smirk on his face. "I told you," he said before running towards Dean who was waiting for them beside his car. The two shook hands and bumped shoulders as though they were homies or something. And that didn't sit well with Chahye.

She started walking towards Dean when the car door opened and another guy stepped out of it. It was Millic in his usual beanie and loose shirt outfit. "Hi Cha!" he greeted with a smile. She smiled back at him and waved. She would have hugged him if only Dean wasn't there.

"Why does Millic always get your sweet smiles?" asked Dean as Daejung greeted Millic as well, meeting for the first time.
"Because he's not annoying like you," answered Chahye as she stood in front of Dean. "We need to talk," she said taking his arm and pulling him away from his car. "When did you start talking to my brother?!" she asked letting him go once they were already a good distance away.
"Wednesday," answered Dean as he put his hands in his jacket's pockets.
"Wednesday? You've only known him for three days and you start bumping shoulders already?!" said Chahye raising an eyebrow at him.
"What?! That's how guys greet each other, just like how girls hug and kiss each others' cheeks," explained Dean.
"I don't buy it. It's impossible you two are friends already," said Chahye shaking her head. "What did you tell him?"
"I didn't tell him anything. Don't look at me like I bribed him or something. Your brother was the one who asked me if I could come with you. I didn't ask for this. I just brought Millic along so Daejung can talk to someone while you take me on your one-on-one talks like this," smirked Dean as he leaned down closer to her. He put on a smirk when he noticed how she leaned back and slightly had a blush on her cheeks. "Now, are we gonna go shopping or what?" he continued turning around and walking back to the car.

Chahye breathed deep trying to compose herself. His scent still lingered around her and she felt like getting high. She then closed her eyes then shook her head. as she followed him. Dean threw the car keys to Millic telling him to drive. Daejung opened the door to the backseat and got in. Dean walked to the other side and opened the door for Chahye. She gave him a glare before sliding inside. Dean was only able to smile at the short moment they looked straight at each other. He soon got in beside the driver's seat and they were off to Myeongdeong.

They parked the car at one of the parking centers in the area and went around the district looking for the things Daejung needed. They passed by a music store and Millic leaned against the glass pointing at some albums on display. Dean saw how Daejung stared at the guitars displayed right beside the album stand. He wanted to approach him and pull him inside to buy one but he remembered Chahye was with them and she didn't know a thing. He settled his hand on his shoulder and smiled when Daejung looked at him. "You'll get one someday, Daejung-ah," he said as he pulled the boy to follow him into the streets.

Throughout their walk, Chahye spent most of her time talking to Millic while Dean and Daejung became closer. Chahye liked how fun Millic was trying every free taste booth they pass by, honking every horn he saw on a peddle stall, sometimes dancing in the middle of the street when it was a song he liked being played from the stores they pass. He was just too fun. She was soon laughing at everything Milic said. Even Daejung who rarely laughed with other people liked him. Dean remained slightly composed at all the antics Millic did. But he sure loved recording his friend with his camera phone. He secretly filmed Chahye as well who was enjoying their company.

They finally went to a bookstore and bought the school supplies. Dean and Daejung ended up carrying what they bought as Chahye led them to a clothing store after. She wanted to buy more clothes for her brother.

Daejung went around the store with Millic beside him, choosing clothes and trying them on. Dean noticed how Chahye just watched them, occasionally pulling out a shirt from the rack only to put it back. He approached her when he noticed her suddenly quiet and detached.

"Something bothering you?" he asked as he took out a black sweater from the rack she was exploring.
"Nothing," answered Chahye not looking at him.
"Really now?" he said putting back the shirt he took.
Chahye sighed. "I was just thinking at how this is the first time I took Daejung out to shop," she said with a faint smile.
"Eh? Really?" said Dean in surprise.
"Uhm... Yeah. This is the first time we went out together in like...six years," said Chahye moving to the rack with various snapbacks and belts.
"How come?" asked Dean following her.
"We don't live together. Not until now," smiled Chahye. "He lived with his...with our relatives in Incheon."
"Noona!" called Daejung from behind them. "This would look good on you," he said showing her a white sweater that was 2 sizes bigger than her.
"Loose clothes are kind of a trend right now," said Millic matter-of-factly.
"Why don't you choose some clothes for yourself instead, Daejung? That's what we're here for. I'll look for mine," smiled Chahye.
"And why don't we hurry up so we could eat lunch right away?" asked Dean. "I'm already hungry."
"Aish. Me, too," said Millic rubbing his hands against his stomach.

Daejung nodded then walked back to the rack of clothes with Millic. Dean then went back to their conversation as Chahye walked over to the jackets. "Anything you want to eat later?" he asked.
"You don't have to take us out for lunch, Dean," said Chahye.
"It's fine. I'm doing this for the kid. Daejung's cool," smiled Dean. "By the way, Chahye. Daejung mentioned about his allowance from child services. Don't you two have parents anymore?" he asked.
"He told you that? About his allowance?" asked Chahye unbelievably.
"Yes. That's why he wanted to go out today," said Dean.
"I see," nodded Chahye. "Yeah. Well... Yes. We don't have parents anymore. Our mom... She died."
"I'm sorry to hear that," said Dean sympathetically.
"It's okay, Dean. It's been 12 years already. Too bad Daejung hasn't had a clear memory of her," said Chahye.
"He must miss having a mom," said Dean looking at Daejung who now was carrying at least 5 shirts on his arm. 
"And that's why I'm here," smiled Chahye as she tried on a pair of sunglasses.
He leaned on the table the displays were on and admired how cute she looked in sunglasses and a smile. "How about your dad?" asked Dean as he took a pair that had diamond studs on the frame. "I think that would fit you," he said passing it to her.
Chahye tried it on. "Our fathers' story is a long one," she said removing the pair of sunglasses and putting it back. "Too big for my face," she said walking away to her brother's direction.

Daejung ended up buying 5 shirts, 2 pairs of jeans and a pair of sneakers while Chahye only bought a white shirt, one that Millic suggested. Dean invited them to eat at a nearby small restaurant named "The Sandwich" which are known for their burgers and sandwiches. As they entered the restaurant and took seats, Daejung kept on looking at his phone. Chahye sat beside her brother, in front of Dean who gave out copies of the menu to them.

"Are you waiting for someone?" asked Millic as he saw Daejung look out of the restaurant.
"Yeah," he answered. "Hyoseob hyung was asking where we are."
"Hyoseob?!" Chahye and Dean said together in surprise. Millic's mouth hung open.
"Yes. I told him we'll eat out for lunch and he said he'll be here. I told him the place," said Daejung looking at all of them. "Is...is there anything wrong with that? All of you look like I said I killed someone or something."
"Uhm... No...," said Chahye.
"I just wasn't expecting... Hyoseob hyung to join us," hesitated Dean. Millic only shook his head.

They ordered food and almost 10 minutes later, the first batch came, fries and pasta. Just as Millic passed the plates to each of them, Daejung raised hi head and waved his hand towards their back. Dean who was already munching on a french fry, froze in his seat. Chahye looked around and he saw Crush with Zico.

"What are you doing with them?" asked Zico.
"We just went out," Chahye said as she stood up.
"I'm asking Dean. Not you, Chahye," said Zico sternly.
Dean was about to talk when Daejung stood up and took his cousin's arm in his, pulling him to a seat beside Millic. "Aish. What are you doing?" said Zico as he followed.
"I was the one who asked them to come with us since you and Hyoseob hyung couldn't. Is it bad to spend time with friends?" he said pushing Zico to sit down. "Might as well join us since you're here," said Daejung.
"Hi, hyung," greeted Millic.
"How did you even know Daejung?" asked Zico as he faced Millic.
"I just met him today. Ask Dean," he answered pointing at his best friend.
"I... I met Daejung... the other day," said Dean.
"How?" asked Crush as he stood beside Chahye.
"Hyuk hyung introduced him to me last Wednesday," said Daejung trying to cover Dean's . He would just need to tell Hyuk about it so that his story could check.
"Hyuk? Oh Hyuk-ssi?" asked Crush.
"Nae," answered Daejung as he flashed a smile at his cousin and sitting across him on the table.
"I see," said Zico facing his cousin then crossing his arms across the table. "And what do you think of him?" he asked.
"Well... He's.... cool. Sort of," said Daejung leaning across the table as well.

Chahye and Crush stayed standing in front of each other. Crush sighed as he put his hands inside his pockets. They haven't really talked about being around Dean after Taewoon hitting him, but she knew he was irritated. She took a glance at her cousin and even he looked as though he was hiding his irritation.

Crush pulled the chair beside Daejung and pointed at it. "Why don't you sit down, Chahye? Your food's already waiting for you," he said.
"Oh. Right. Thank you," said Chahye as she sat down beside Daejung, right in front of Millic.
Crush took the seat beside her facing Dean. He slumped in his seat as he sighed looking at him. Dean looked back but didn't have the courage to make it last. "What did you order, Chahye?" asked Crush.
"We all ordered pasta and burgers. Plus fries," answered Chahye.
"I ordered an omelette, hyung. I wanted some rice," said Daejung leaning across the table to see Crush.
Zico reached for a menu from the other table beside them with no occupants and gave one to Crush. "I think I want something with rice as well," said  Zico looking at the front page.
"They have tuna melt, Hyoseob. You should try that," smiled Chahye at him.
"Tuna melt... What pasta is yours?" asked Crush as he looked at the plate in front of her. 
"Mushroom cream," she answered.
"How come you're so accustomed to these American food?" asked Dean just so his focus would shift away from Crush who had his chin rested on Chahye's shoulder.
Chahye looked at him and smiled. "I used to live in Canada for a year with Jisuk oppa," she answered, Crush still on her shoulder, pouting.
"She spent a year with me in Japan, as well," said Zico.
"Have you been to another country with your cousins, too, Daejung?" asked Millic as he took his drink.
"No, I haven't yet," answered Daejung.
"Why?" asked Dean.
"I lived with my relatives in Incheon so I couldn't go with noona," explained Daejung.

Just then, the waiter came with the rest of their orders and they all started to eat. Crush avoided Dean. Zico would say comments or two to whatever Dean said, mostly directed at Daejung. Millic felt the awkwardness between everyone and somehow thanked himself at how he was seated between Zico and Dean, but he was worried about Dean and Crush. But out of everyone, Daejung was enjoying the sight. He knew his cousin was annoyed by Dean but he was much more amused at how Dean stole glances at his sister, Chahye doing the same.

"So, where are we headed later?" asked Dean.
"What do you mean?" asked Zico.
"Anywhere else you guys want to go to?" Dean repeated.
"We were thinking of going to that arcade above the pool club? The one with darts," said Millic.
"Eh?! I want to go there!" cheered Chahye.
"I want to go, too! I saw it in one of Fana-nim's videos," said Daejung.
"Oh. You know Fana, too?" asked Millic.
"I know everyone from Jiho hyung's crew," the boy smiled.
"You should get to know me and Millic then. We're in the same crew as Zico and Penomeco," said Dean.
"Well, at least now," sneered Crush to himself. Chahye heard him murmur and hit his rib with her elbow. "Ouch," mouthed Crush as he looked at Chahye who was busy with her burger.
"Can we go with them, hyung?" Daejung asked Zico.
"No. We're going home," said Crush as he finished his pasta.
"Seobbie-ah..." said Chahye looking at her bestfriend.
"But hyung... I want to go," complained Daejung.
"You can go, Daejung-ah. Don't worry," smiled Zico.
"But...what about noona?" the boy said suddenly worried at what Zico and Crush plans to do to her and Dean.
"I'll go home, Daejung. I still need to fix stuff at home remember?" said Chahye as she locked gazes with her cousin.
"Aren't you locking Chahye up too much?" commented Dean as he pushed his plate forward, taking his glass and having a drink. He knew the two were avoiding him spending any more time with Chahye.
Crush pushed his plate forward as well and drank some water before standing up. "I'm going," he said taking his wallet out, throwing a bunch of bills onto the table.
Chahye looked up and took his arm. "Hyoseob, what are you doing?" she sternly asked.
"I said I'm going," said Crush. "Are you coming or what?" he asked her sternly, raising an eyebrow while at it.
"Hyung," said Millic standing up.
"You don't have to leave already. And I can pay for this meal. Take your money," said Dean.
"I don't want to owe you anything, Dean," said Crush turning around to go.
Chahye took the shopping bags from under the table and stood up. "Hyoseob. Wait for me," she called. Crush stopped and took some of the bags from her hands and carried them, the two walking away.
Zico stood up and pushed some bills across the table to Dean. "Bring my cousin back home before 6 tonight. Or else," said Zico sternly before he walked away.

Daejung looked at the hyungs in front of him with his mouth open. Millic sat back down and huffed, staring at the money in front of him.

"That was the first time I saw Hyoseob hyung not smile at noona," said Daejung. "And the way he made her follow him. They're usually really sweet with each other."
"First time I saw him like that, too," said Millic.
"You know," said Daejung leaning forward. "I'm really starting to think you did something more than just piss my cousins off."

The three still went to the arcade and played darts. Millic invited Punchnello to go with them and have some fun. and to their surprise, the two became rather close. Dean insisted they go home after 5pm, him bringing Daejung home. Millic and Punchnello went somewhere else.

"Daejung, I have to tell you something," said Dean as he parked his car in front of their building.
"Yeah?" said Daejung.
"What has your cousins talked about me?"
"About why their mad at you?"
"Yeah."
"Jisuk hyung just said that you piss him off too much. I didn't listen to everything."
"I see."
"Why are they mad at you? That must be something really bad if even Hyoseob hyung doesn't want to talk to you."
"I.... I...."

Dean couldn't finish his sentence. He let go of the steering wheel and rested his hands on his lap, trying to compose himself. He then breathed deep and turned in his seat to look straight at Daejung.

"Me and your sister... We... We did something... We did something bad..." he said.
"Bad? What did you do?" asked Daejung slightly becoming cautious.
"We... I... I took her to bed," said Dean trying to think of better words to say, not losing the stare with Daejung.
"You... You... Don't tell me..." stuttered Daejung as he tried to say it, knowing what he may mean.
"Yes," said Dean closing his eyes and hanging it low. "We didn't really mean to do it. We were drunk... And she was... I wasn't in the right mind"

Daejung didn't speak and sat back into his seat, sinking low into it as though he was melting. His mouth hung open and his eyes darted everywhere. "I'm sorry," he heard Dean say but he couldn't respond. He's learned to like Dean and he couldn't believe it. His sister seemed to like him as well. He heard his cousins talking about how they hated him but all he could see was a nice guy that knew how to make his sister laugh and smile.

"Did she..." Daejung started. "Did she... Did she cry after that?" he asked.
"After what?" asked Dean.
"After you had with her! Did she cry?! What did she do after?!" Daejung shouted.
"I... She... I... I don't know," Dean tried to say.
"Why can't you answer?! What the hell did you do to my sister?!" Daejung shouted once more.
"I DON'T KNOW, OKAY?!" shouted Dean back. The boy suddenly stayed quiet at his response. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to shout. I just... I don't know okay? I just... She seemed okay while we were doing it. Then we dozed off. When I woke up, she was crying then shouting. She didn't even want to talk to me," he explained.
Daejung stared at Dean then heaved a long breath. "You disgust me," he said as he removed the seat belt across his chest. 
Dean stopped him and held his arms. "Wait. Daejung-ah. Please. I told you that because I thought you could help me. I want to understand your sister. Why was she like that?" he asked.
"Why?! Isn't it manners to not bang anyone unless they're your girlfriend or your wife?" said Daejung slowly getting more angry at Dean. "She isn't your girlfriend and you did that to her. Do you know what that's called?!" he shouted. Dean leaned back and couldn't answer. "Now, do you know why my cousins hate you?"
"This is different, Daejung," said Dean. "I know. We shouldn't have done that. But I love your sister, Daejung-ah. I really do. And I know she feels the same way towards me. I want to make it up to her. I want to show her what I truly feel. I want her to realize that I love her more than just her body. I'm crazy for her. I know I did something wrong and I'm trying to make it right. I don't know what's going on through your sister's mind but I just want to make things right from now on," he said.

Daejung stared at the hyung in front of him. He could see it in his eyes that he was sincere. He knew Dean was really in love with his sister. Somehow, he knew Chahye felt the same towards him. Maybe it's because of their predicament that she hasn't been able to show it to him as well.

"Look," said Daejung as he sat still. "I can hit you right now and break your face for doing that to my sister. But she wouldn't like that. She wouldn't want me to hurt you."
"Why?" asked Dean.
"Because you could have meant something to her if she let that happen," the boy said. "Getting to my sister is easy. But if you really want to last long with her, you have to get through our cousins first. Ever since she...Ever since our parents left, they were the only people that looked out for us and noona matters too much to our cousins for them to let people like you touch her."
"I didn't mean that, Daejung. I swear."
"I must admit. I like you for my sister. I only met you recently and only saw you two together today. But I know how my sister acts when it's people she likes that she hangs out with. It was only with you that I saw her smile so effortlessly. She was smiling when you were staring at her as she tried on those sunglasses. I swear she was blushing as she hid her eyes behind them. But please... If you can't respect her, her whole self, her past... and future... Please just walk away. I don't want her crying again. I've had enough. I don't want her to suffer anymore."
"I don't want to make her suffer, Daejung. I want to take care of her as well."
"Just do it and don't promise."
"Can I ask you one more thing Daejung?"
"What?"
"What exactly is your sister going through? Why does everyone make it seem like she's gone through something really bad?"
"That's for you to find out."

= _ = _ = _ = _ = _ = _ = _ = _ = _ = _ = _ = _ = _ =

This is kinda a long chapter, don't you think?! XD