9...

Of Truth and Love

Dean brought her to one of the family restaurants he frequents in Hongdae with his crew. It was a cozy, unpopular place. Dean was already acquainted with the owner and usually would have a table prepared for them at the far corner to avoid people's eyes. This night wasn't much different from nights before. He wanted peace and privacy as he ate, especially now that he was with Chahye.

He already started with his noodles when he noticed Chahye just looking at him, chopsticks in her hand. He stopped to look at her, his noodles mid-air in between his chopsticks, only inches away from his mouth. "Aren't you going to eat?" he asked.
"I am. I'm just amazed at how cute you look eating so happily," smiled Chahye, the sincerest Dean has ever seen from her.
"I love to eat, Chahye. You should start doing it as well," he said putting the noodles inside his mouth, sipping through them. He was happy to get a compliment from Chahye but nothing beats the feeling of having food slide down your throat. That was joy, pure joy.
Chahye stirred through her noodles and soup. "Thanks for treating me but this would have been better with some soju," she said lifelessly.
Dean lifted his head, chewing through his food. "So you drink? Why didn't you tell me?! Let's have 2 bottles," he said.
"Could you make that three?" smiled Chahye.

Chahye was able to finish her noodles and was eating the last slices of meat from the sweet and sour pork Dean ordered. They were both down with the last soju bottle as well. Dean wanted to order one more but Chahye stopped him thinking about how he would be able to drive his car back home after their meal.

"I didn't know you could drink this much Chahye-ssi. Aren't you drunk yet?" he asked pouring soju to her glass.
"Nah. I have a high tolerance towards alcohol, I guess," smiled Chahye. "You, though... You shouldn't drink anymore. You still need to drive."
"I know. Thanks for reminding me about driving. Usually, I have a driver but... I don't think I want him driving for me tonight," he said.
"How come?" asked Chahye.
"Because I'm with you," smiled Dean.
Chahye smiled as well, finding it funny that she couldn't understand if he was flirting with her or just drunk. "Thanks for treating me to dinner, by the way, Dean," she said changing the topic.
"You're welcome," he answered, taking his shot down. "What do you do during the day, Chahye-ssi?" he asked, wanting to know more about her.
"I go to a university. But finals are already over so I'm free. I do part-time work at a cafe in Mapo-gu. Then this... Dancing," she said.
"I see. You really are hardworking," said Dean.
"The only way you can live in this wretched city, I guess," she said looking at the drink in her hand.
"You talk as if this city has only done bad things to you," he said.
"Maybe... Maybe not," smiled Chahye looking down on the table.
"It's not always bad, Chahye. Not always," smiled Dean at her. She didn't respond but stared at him as he took another piece of meat and munched through it.
"Could we go home now, Dean?" she asked.
"Sure. Let me just get one more," he said reaching for another piece.

Dean paid for their meal and walked to the car outside with Chahye, taking the passenger seat beside the driver's. She had to ask Dean questions just to make sure he still had his head straight. He answered them correctly and she finally had to trust him.

It took them only a few minutes to get back to Chahye's apartment building. Dean offered to walk her back up to her flat when his phone rang. He answered it inside the car, Chahye listened.

"Hello?" said Dean.
"Where are you?!" Chahye heard the person on the other line shout. She had to look at Dean and ask with her eyes who it was. He didn't answer though.
"I'm inside my car. I just dropped a friend by at her apartment. I'm gonna be going back," said Dean trying to stay calm. He doesn't want to look rude in front of Chahye.
"Her apartment?! Her?! You're with a goddamn girl?!" And again, Chahye heard everything.
"Yes. I'm with a girl. What's so wrong with that?!" said Dean slightly raising his voice.

Chahye smiled to herself and reached for the seat belt buckle. She decided to leave Dean and whoever his friend is to talk and maybe, fight over the phone. She didn't want to hear the drama. She was about to open the door when Dean held her hand, making her listen to what he was saying.

"Tell Zico not to leave. I'm coming back. I have the flash drive with me," said Dean.

Chahye's eyes shot wide open. He was going to see Zico after this. Oh, no. She was dead.

"I'll tell you all about it. Bye," he continued ending the call and eventually smiling at Chahye. "That was Nello. We were recording before I came back to the studio. I told you about that, right?" he asked; Chahye nodded. "Wait there. I'll open the door for you," he said getting off from his side and walking around to Chahye's. She got off and bowed, saying nothing. "So, which floor?" Dean asked as he pushed the door closed behind her.

"Third. But you don't have to take me up. I'm fine. You should go now. Your friends are waiting for you," said Chahye.
"Chahye-ssi. It's not really proper for a guy to leave a girl walking alone," he said.
"Hyuk-ssi, I told you. I'm fine. I know how to handle myself," said Chahye faking a genuine smile.
Consequently, it made Dean smile. "Oh. You just called me Hyuk. That feels nice," he said, putting a hand over his chest, smiling brightly at her. "All right. I won't bother you anymore. Take care. See you tomorrow," he continued.
"See you," smiled Chahye taking a few steps away from him, feeling victorious over her win. "And by the way, Hyuk," she said looking back, taking advantage of Dean's sudden happy demeanor. "Could you not say too much about me to your friends? It's kinda embarrassing," she said.
"Why? It won't be. I think my crew will love you," he said contemplating. "But if you say so, I guess it would be better to let you guys meet before I rat about a lot of stuff to everyone," he said smiling.
"Thank you," said Chahye with an endearing smile, a fake one.

The two waved at each other and said goodbyes. Dean waited until he could no longer see Chahye before getting into his car and driving towards Zico's studio. And just as he thought, he was welcomed by a tremendous outroar of both complaints and questions from his friends.

"Why didn't you tell us you were gonna be on a date?" said Millic.
"It wasn't a date. I just treated the girl," answered Dean.
"It's that dancer, isn't it?! You took her out," said Punchnello matter-of-factly.
"I'm not telling you," smiled Dean.
" you," said 0channel.
"It's her. She's the only girl he ever talked about for a while," said Punchnello.
"What's her name?" asked Offonoff.
"I'm not telling you as well," said Dean.
"Damn, prick. You're keeping her to yourself," said Jusen walking back to the sofa, rolling his eyes at him.
"Hey. For once, this is my girl. Back off," said Dean removing his jacket.
"Earth to Dean... You always get the girls," said Offonoff.
"I'll let you guys meet her once I get her. But Nello's already seen her so that's fine... I guess," said Dean.
"I will only wish," said Jusen.
"Where is Zico and Crush?" asked Dean.
"They went out to get a smoke. Well, Crush did," said Millic.