Chapter 22: The Sense of an Ending

The Perfect Lyrics of Us

When I arrived, I saw Sooyoung going to the elevator so I rushed and reached her just by the time the elevator’s door closed.

 

“Are you okay now?” I asked her and she nodded. Then we remained silent for a while. But then again, I can’t bear with the torture any more, I wanted to know what’s bothering her.

 

“I’m getting off,” she said and as if by instinct, my hand reached for the button and pressed the last floor as I closed the elevator.

 

“What do you think you’re doing?” She asked with a slight irritation but I didn’t mind it.

 

“We’re not getting off unless you tell me what you needed to tell me.” I said and remained tough to make her confess.

 

“What do you want me to tell you?” She raised her voice and I know it won’t help in the situation.

 

“Look, Sooyoung, if you will keep with acting tough and if you keep on avoiding me, we can’t fix this problem, if there is any. So please be calm and tell me what’s wrong.” I slowly said and she cursed.

 

“Can’t you see I’m tired? Joonyoung, I’m tired of all of this- Of everything!” She said and as if I became deaf from what I just heard.

 

“Tired? Why?” Were the only words that came out of my mouth.

 

“Joonyoung, can’t you see this isn’t working anymore? Don’t you know I still feel bad for your manager who was fired because of our short vacation? Can’t you see I still feel bad about you being unfairly treated in your company? Can’t you see I am really struggling right now?” She confessed and although I expected some of what she said, it still stung my heart especially that it came right from her.

 

“What do you want to do then?” I asked like a whisper but she shook her head.

 

“I don’t know Joonyoung. Maybe, we really need some time away from each other. Maybe we really need time and space to think of what we really want to do in life. I don’t want you to choose between me and your career and I don’t even want to get in the way for you to reach your dreams. I don’t want to see you struggling because of me.” Those were the words, the lines I never expected to hear today.

 

I took her hand but she took it back and turned her back from me. I knew she was crying then. I, too, wanted to just cry but my eyes are just weary and can’t even produce a single tear.

 

We remained quiet until she pushed the button to her apartment. I watched her walk away as I collapsed on the elevator floor.

 

-I guess it’s really going to be over

I keep running out of breath

Though I’m not confident to let you go

A breakup where one takes a step back

That’s probably the grown-up thing to do

 

(Your cold voice, it seems like something is wrong)-