A Little Cracked

I'm sorry, but I can't.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shock. That was the first thing she felt. Shock from what she has discovered. Denial was second. Denial that she didn't know about any of this. With her back against the headboard, Taeyeon spun the pencil with her right hand as she stared at the letters turned words she has decoded for the past few minutes. Her heart raced at the realization that she might have  taken not just a step, but a big leap towards attaining what she has always wanted to know. It was a big piece of a puzzle and suddenly, everything started to make sense. A soft snore caught her attention, making her turn her head towards the source of the sound. 

Jessica's sleeping face was one of Taeyeon's most favorite things to lay her eyes on, making her smile like a lovesick teenager just by watching her sleep. But right now, seeing it made her feel worried, especialy after she has decoded the first line of the note. She brought it at eye level, allowing the light from the bedside lamp to make it more legible for her to read.

 

"TOIUIEISDARAUEHS33TECRSETEINSNRGFW"

 

Taeyeon's eyes trailed downwards as she read what she has written with her pencil...

 

"TWO FIGURINES INSIDE A TREASURE CHEST 33" was what she was able to come up with, not forgetting to trace the number 33 a bit darker than the rest, just like how it was written on the note. Now, Taeyeon would be lying if she were to say that she didn't have the slightest idea on what the note was talking about. She had this tiny, sparking hope that perhaps, the note was referring to something she had always possessed. 

"No way..." Taeyeon mumbled. There was no way that the note was referring to what she hoped it to be. She remained frozen on the bed, checking every other possible way on how the note could be decoded, but what she has come up with surely made enough sense for her to neglect it. It had to be that.

Having enough of the letters for the meantime, her gaze landed on the darkened number at the end. 33. Taeyeon counted the letters, 32. What was the 33? It couldn't just possibly mean that it's the 33rd character, right? There must be something more to it. Taeyeon stared at it long and hard. The longer she stared, the more it seemed familiar. Something in her mind was pushing its way outside. She shut her eyes tight, trying to remember were she had possibly encountered this before. 

She thought hard, her eyebrows furrowed, bits and bits of memories were searched and soon enough, it clicked. A drop of sweat made its way down her forehead and her eyes shot open in realization. Mickey and Minnie. That's it. Taeyeon remembered it. 33 was the answer she got when she tried to solve the puzzles in the folded paper inside the calculator. She was about to jump out of bed to go get the treasure chest but suddenly, an arm wrapped around her thighs, prohibiting her from doing what she originally wanted. She turned her head to the side, tilting it a bit to see her girlfriend's lovely face. Her lips curled upwards, but as much as she doesn't want to get out from her hold, she had to.

Slowly, she lifted her arm from her thighs then gently placed it on the bed. Careful not to make any sudden movements that might wake Jessica up, she tiptoed her way to the side of the room where she kept her most valuable object. It took a lot of rummaging and clothes scattering before she actually got her hands on it, but when she found it, a smile instantly made its way to her face. 

Two figurines inside a treasure chest. There was no denying that the treasure chest the note referring to was definitely the treasure chest in her hands. So if the two figurines inside the treasure chest, 33, meant Mickey and Minnie... what now? What about it? Why didn't Mr. Lee just write it as is? What was so special about them that he had to create these mind-boggling codes for them? More importantly, what did the series of numbers beneath the first line mean?

Deciding to push her luck again, Taeyeon spun the pencil around her fingers, stopping to catch it just the way she would hold the pencil when she would write. Following the series of numbers and using the first line as basis, she wrote...


I.O.A.3...

 

When she reached the fourth number however, she stopped. No, it's not gonna work. She sighed and placed the pencil down. Taeyeon tapped her index finger on the floor while staring at the note. What did Mr. Lee want to tell everyone through this note? Does her father know about any of this? Taeyeon needed answers, but to get answers, she needed both.

The lone figurine inside staring back at her was silently telling her that she won't be able to figure it out any time soon. Not when there was only one pair of eyes staring at her. Taeyeon frowned. The other one wasn't in her possession. Conflict invaded her mind. The Minnie Mouse figurine is in Tiffany's possession. Jessica doesn't want me talking with Tiffany. She bit her lip. But if I don't talk to Tiffany then I won't be able to-

"Taeyeon?" She instantly closed the treasure chest and turned around to witness Jessica rubbing her eyes. "What are you doing?"  Jessica used her hands and slowly sat up to observe the stack of clothes scattered on the floor.

"N-nothing. Go back to sleep, Sica. I was just fixing my clothes."

"At this time? But it's late. I'll help you continue that tomorrow. Come and sleep so I would have someone to hug." Jessica looked adorable with her sleepy and squinted eyes and Taeyeon wanted to kiss her right there and then.

"Okay." Taeyeon went back to her side of the bed and went under the covers. She opened her arms and Jessica took that as a sign so she shifted closer and wrapped her arm around Taeyeon's waist. The latter's hand landed on the small of the girl's back.

"That's more I like it." Jessica smiled as she cl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter