Broken

I'm sorry, but I can't.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"..Because I like you."

*Kriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.

 

"Aw... Ugh. seriously, that bell is too loud." Taeyeon said as she tapped her ear a couple of times before shaking her head.
"Now what was it you just said?... because you like what?" 

Jessica was shocked by what she just said. Did she just confess her feelings right there? It's like acted faster than her mind.
Well, thankfully, the bell rang at the same time she 'confessed', allowing Taeyeon to only hear the 'because I like' part before she was startled by the bell which caused her to look away, also not making any lip reading possible. As for Jessica, she realized how getting 'saved by the bell' really felt like. The bell totally ruined the dramatic atmosphere but it didn't take away the tension that Jessica was feeling at the moment.

"I... b-because I..." Jessica stuttered, thinking of something to cover it up. Taeyeon was patiently waiting while still rubbing her left ear.

Come on Jessica, think.

"Because I like to."  Jessica sighed out of relief right after she said that. She looked at Taeyeon afterwards but the girl didn't seem convinced by what she just said so she decided to support her statement.

" And besides, you have nothing to worry about anymore... Nichkhun got expelled yesterday." Jessica saw that there was still a hint of hesitation in Taeyeon's eyes.

 "Look Taeyeon, I know you may not like to interact with others that much but just know that I'll always be here for you, no matter what. I'll listen to you....I hope you'll let me be your friend." Jessica looked at Taeyeon with much sincerity in her eyes. 

"D-do you really want to?" Taeyeon asked. She won't lie, she wanted Jessica to be her friend too. But the fact that she never really had any friends in the past, apart from Yuri, made her think on how to be a good friend. Taeyeon looked down as she waited for Jessica to respond while fidgeting with her fingers.

Jessica could only smile at how adorable Taeyeon was looking at the moment.

"I-I mean.. there are othe--"

"Of course I do! Now let's go before our professor arrives and marks us late" Jessica grabbed Taeyeon's arm, which surprised Taeyeon, and dragged her as she ran and lead her towards their classroom... with a smile on her face. 

"Aw! Careful, it still hurts a bit" Taeyeon pouted.

"Oops, I'm sorry." Jessica loosened her grip on Taeyeon's arm while they continued running.

They stopped outside the room, with Jessica excusing herself to go to the restroom first. Taeyeon nodded and went inside the classroom. Once Taeyeon was inside, Jessica ran to the restroom and locked herself inside one of the cubicles. She leaned against the wall as she tried to calm herself down and started to talk to herself.

"What the heck was that, Jessica Jung??"

...

"Were you out of your mind, huh?"

...

"What if she heard it, how would you defend yourself?"

...

"How could you suddenly blurt out something like that?"

...

"Telling Taeyeon something like 'I like y--"

"Jessica?"

Mother of God!  Jessica was suddenly cut off when she heard a particular voice that she knew so well, coming from the doorway of the restroom. She started to panic. 

...

"Jessica, are you there?" 

"Y-yes Taeyeon, I'm here. Why?"

"Ms. Park was already looking for you. I told her that you're in the restroom so she sent me out here to tell you that the lecture will begin soon."

"Oh. o-okay. Tell her I'll be there in a minute."

"Okay." 

"Oh, Taeyeon!" Jessica asked as she heard Taeyeon's steps, as she was about to exit the restroom.

"Yes?" 

"H-how long have you been.. s-standing there?" Jessica failed at her attempt not to stutter.

"Just now. Why? Are you okay?" Jessica heard Taeyeon take a couple of steps towards her cubicle.

"No!...I..I mean, y-yes! Yes, I'm okay." 

Jessica accidentally said no for she didn't want Taeyeon to get any closer, afraid that she'll hear the loud beating of her heart.. if that even made sense. She was so glad that there is a cubicle door separating the both of them or else, Taeyeon would've seen her flushed cheeks.

"Okay then.. I'll go ahead now." Jessica heard Taeyeon's footsteps heading out of the restroom. She waited for 10 seconds to pass before she spoke to herself again.

"Okay Jessica, you are really an idiot. You almost did it again"

Why do you even keep on saying that you like Taeyeon?

Do you really like her.. that way??

...

You like her as a friend. Yes. That must be it, right Jessica?

...

Okay, I'm seriously gonna go crazy if I don't stop this now. Why am I even talking to myself?  Jessica face-palmed before she unlocked the cubicle and headed back to the classroom.

 

-----

 

The day ended like a blur and the bell had just ended their last class for the day. Taeyeon went to school empty handed so she didn't have anything to pack up. She stood up and faced the window, contemplating whether she should go back home or not. 

Should I go home? 

Taeyeon may have regained a bit of her energy but she was still weak enough to protect her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter