Square One

I'm sorry, but I can't.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyeon's POV

 

"I'm sorry, do I know you?"

My heart was crushed. All this time I was hoping to hear about her, to see her, but I've never braced myself for the possibility that one day, I'd actually see her... but she doesn't remember me. 

. No, I  couldn't accept this. 

"Don't you remember me?" I took a step forward and looked her straight in the eyes. I was hoping I could find any signs of lying in it, forgiving her for lying is certainly easier than her forgetting all her memories, which includes all our memories together, and including me. So it meant that she was actually gone for two years, and she didn't bother look for me 'cause she doesn't know me. Everything we did was all in the past now, erased from her memories.

"Who are you?" She asked me, and I could see no hints of lying in her eyes.

"Jessica, I'm Tae-" I couldn't finish my sentence for my hand was suddenly pulled away, dragging my whole body along with it. I struggled 'cause I wanted to talk to her, I wanted her to remember me. I can't believe I just saw her. But when we turned around the corner, I now looked back at the person who dragged me away, ready to give whoever it was, a piece of my mind. I was wearing 3-inches heels and I surely wasn't in the mood to get dragged around wearing these killer heels.

"Hey, what's your problem?!" I saw a heavy panting girl beside me, making me remember that I was actually supposed to be looking for her, or rather, she was supposed to be looking for me. "Seohyun?"

"Why are you here?"

"I thought I was supposed to be in the meeting?"

"Yes, I know. But you should've waited for me in the lobby or something."

"I'm sorry, I got scared so I thought I'd find the meeting room as soon as possible while I look for you." 

She let out a deep sigh, and I feel sorry all of a sudden. It still didn't explain her sudden action though.

"But wait, why did you drag me away?" She finally recovered breathing, she straightened her posture and stared at me, her aura becoming serious as ever.

"You have to be careful. We can't afford you to face Mr. A yet. Don't you know who he is?"

I shook my head, having no idea who the heck that guy was. And Seohyun could only click her tongue. It looks like they missed out telling me a vital piece of information. 

"Listen, Taeyeon. Mr A is one of the front-running employees in the company, same with your father. He's a very powerful person. You don't want to get on his bad side. My mom told me that your dad once mentioned him to her, and told her that that guy was up to no good. We just want to protect you, Taeyeon." 

I understood the concern that Seohyun was showing to me. But one thing wasn't clear to me yet.

"But Seohyun, I... I saw her."

"Who did you see?" My mind was lagging, and I can't think rationally. "I s-saw Je-" Seohyun glanced at the wall clock and decided to cut our conversation.

"Oh, it's almost 9. The meeting is about to start. Let's talk about this later, I have to get you to the meeting room now. You can't afford to be late and give a bad impression, right?" I followed Seohyun as we took several turns from our past location. We were able to arrive just in time, and Seohyun wished me good luck for our initial briefing.

"Taeyeon, just a few tips and reminders... don't trust anyone, don't give away important and vital pieces of information about yourself, and refrain talking to other employees, unless needed. This is crucial so I'm sure that all of them are hungry for the position of CEO as well."

I nodded, then Seohyun waved goodbye and told me that she'd wait for me in the lobby.

I went inside and I was shocked by how big the meeting room was. There was a long table at the center, and around it, the chairs were arranged facing each other. My eyes quickly looked for an empty seat. I spotted one and made my way to it, right before the speaker in front greeted us through the microphone.

The speaker wanted us to introduce ourselves one by one, and mention the person who secured us to get to this position, if applicable. I began scanning the room to observe the others seated around the table. Let me just say this... they all looked so intimidatingly professional. Seohyun was right in saying that all of them are hungry for the position of CEO. There were some who were in their mid 30's and 40's, but there were also some who were around the same age as me, probably sons and daughters of employees currently working for Disney. I bet they were given business trainings since they were kids.

I was so busy observing everyone that I failed to realize that it was already my turn to introduce myself. I slowly stood up, and suddenly, everyone's attention was on me, all their eyes were glued on me. I wasn't entirely fond of the idea of speaking in front of many people, but I knew I had to fight off the fear and nervousness creeping up my back. I took a deep breath to make sure that I won't stutter, and tried to look as professional as possible.

"Good morning everyone. My name is Kim Taeyeon, daughter of Mr. Kim Heechul. I'm here to fill up the spot originally intended for him. Let's all work hard, nice to meet you all." I just awkwardly added the last part, just to release and easen up the nervousness building up in my chest. I looked up to see the once- intimidating stares from everyone turn into what looked like fascination and... shock? I took my seat and I finally got to release the big puff of air I was holding. All of us had a bottle of water in front of us, and I decided to open mine and drink it. Oh, water sure tastes a lot better when you feel hot.. even though it practically tastes the same. I continued gulping more as the next person started introducing herself.

"Good morning everyone. I'm the daughter of Mr. Anthony Hwang, also known as, Mr. A. My name is Jessica Hwang." I swear, I almost spewed the water all over the table if only I swallowed it a second later than I did. Jessica? Why is she here? Wait, did I hear that right?

"I hope we'll all do our best, 'cause I surely won't give this position up easily without a fight.", she finished it off with a smile before she sat down. Okay, what just happened? I said I scanned and observed everyone earlier, right? But I didn't look at the persons seated next to me. I didn't realize that I was actually seated next to her. I didn't even know she was also running for this position.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter