It's You?

I'm sorry, but I can't.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyeon sat on one of the chairs outside the room Jessica was currently in. She was tapping a finger on her lap as she continued to worry. What's going on? She continued to think about what might've caused Jessica's headache and why it seemed like it was more intense than any of her other headaches she had witnessed before. 

Please don't let anything bad happen to her.

"Taeyeon." Yoona tried to draw her attention from the floor.

"Shh.. not now Yoona, I'm trying to think."

"I think someone's here to see you."

"Who?"

"She told us she's Sica unnie's grandmother."

"Teayeon, darling." Taeyeon looked up from her seat and spotted an elderly woman approaching her with a worried expression.

"Granny Jung." She immediately stood up.

"Is everything alright? What happened to Jessica?" Granny Jung worriedly asked her.

"I don't know, granny. We were just talking, then suddenly she clutched her head and screamed in pain."

"I think she still has those headaches. Have you ever witnessed her getting attacked by her headaches before?

"Yes, but nothing as serious as this. She fainted this time."

"Oh my." Granny Jung's expression turned even more sad. "It's been a long time since I've actually stayed with her. After I left her here for States, I'd always call and ask her how she is, or if she still experiences those headaches whenever she's asleep. But she always tells me that she's okay, and she doesn't experience them anymore." Granny sighed. "I know she probably didn't want me to worry.. but I should've looked after her better."

"Has she never consulted a doctor about this before?" Taeyeon asked. Granny Jung trailed her eyes upward slowly to meet hers, but she didn't say anything. Taeyeon waited patiently for her to at least say something, but granny's phone rang.

"Excuse me dear, I have to take this call." Granny Jung excused herself before she walked away and took the first right turn, where it was more quiet.

The door of Jessica's room opened, revealing a man wearing a white coat. Taeyeon immediately rushed in front of him. Yoona and Yuri stayed behind, but they rose  from their seats.

"Are you a relative of the patient?" The doctor asked.

"I'm her-" Taeyeon thought about what she should say. "...friend.", she finished. It was true anyway. They weren't even official.

"I see."

"What happened, doc? Is she okay?" Taeyeon wasted no time in asking him about Jessica's condition.

"I think I should be the one who should ask you that. What happened before she was brought here?"

"She had an extreme headache and she fainted."

"Is this her first time experiencing such headache?"

"No doc, she already had them even before, but this is, by far, her worst... I think." Taeyeon imediately added. The doctor nodded.

"Was there ever any event or incident in which she probably injured her head?" Taeyeon thought for a while until a certain thing popped in her head.

"She bumped her head against the ground once." Taeyeon replied, remembering the incident with Nichkhun.

"And when was that?"

"A few months ago."

"Was she already experiencing those kinds of headaches even before that incident?"

"I don't know. I'm not.. sure." We weren't close back then.

"How about any other events before that? Probably childhood accidents?" 

"Childhood accidents?" Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows.

"Yes. Or any accidents when she was still young."

"She never told me anything. But she did tell me that she only experiences those headaches when she's asleep. But now she experiences them even when she's awake." The doctor squinted his eyes.

"Why, what's wrong, doc?" The doctor took a deep breath as he placed his hands in his pockets.

"You see... we found a scar on the upper right part of her head. Although it's very faint by now, we're very certain that it's a scar caused by surgery. She has already undergone operation before. That's why I asked you if you know any accident or incident which could be the reason for it." Taeyeon's jaw slowly opened, as she tried to register what the doctor was saying.

"But not only that, we conducted an x-ray and... we found out that she had a traumatic brain injury, most specifically a penetrating head injury. We found a shard of glass stuck in her dura mater." 

"W-what?" Taeyeon blinked her eyes rapidly. "But if she has already undergone an operation before, like you said, shouldn't the shard be removed by now?"

"I've thought about that. Actually, if you think of it further, it's not possible for a shard of glass which is one-third of your pinky's size to be able to penetrate through your skull and get to your brain, right?" Taeyeon just nodded.

"So it means that it must've been a bigger piece of shard originally. Her previous operation might've been successful in getting the large shard out, but what they failed to see and realize was that the shard broke and left a smaller shard stuck in her brain. And also, it's not very easy for a glass shard to penetrate through her head, so it might've been a big accident, something that caused a powerful and forceful impact of her head towards something, and that's how she got that shard stuck there." Taeyeon was unable to say or do anything for a moment. She couldn't comprehend why she's hearing all these things all of a sudden.

"Is that the cause of her headaches then?"

"I'm pretty sure it plays a big part. But I'm not sure if that's all there is to it. There might be other things that trigger them, or possibly, other causes."

"How is she?"

"She's fine." Taeyeon released the breath she was holding.

"However..." She looked up and prayed that whatever the doctor was going to say wouldn't break her heart even further. "You have to make sure that her head won't get any more hard blows. I don't know much about her past medical records but we can't let her injured area get infected."

"Well, can't you just get it out then? Conduct another operation?"

"I'm afraid that's not as easy as it may sound. We can, but it's very risky if that shard moves again. It can be dangerous."

"Dangerous in what sense?"

" 'Cause once that shard moves even a tiny bit, she can either lose her memory or she may not even make it. It's very risky. If we conduct an operation, there's a very low chance of it succeeding without one of the two things I said earlier to happen."

"So are you saying that it's better if we leave it there?" Taeyeon sounded confused.

"Yes. The best thing we can do is to make sure to keep her head from any bumps and harm."

Taeyeon gripped the hem of her shirt a bit tighter. 

"You can try asking her about her childhood when she wakes up. But if her head aches because of that, you stop." The doctor observed her reaction. "Are her parents or relatives here? I also need to speak with the-"

"Doc!" Granny Jung hurriedly went beside Taeyeon, facing the doctor. 

"Are you her grandmother?" The doctor asked. 

"Yes, doc. What's wrong? Please tell me, will my Jessica be okay?"

"Don't worry, she'll be okay. Once she wakes up later, we will just observe her for a couple of hours. If we don't see anything bad, then she can go."

"Oh thank God." Granny closed her eyes and exhaled.

"But we have something to talk about and if you don't mind.. I'd like to speak with you in my office." Granny Jung just nodded as she followed the doctor to his office. Taeyeon turned around to face Yoona and Yuri who were mirroring the same expression as hers. 

"Taeyeon.." Yoona approached hugged her when she noticed that she was frozen on her spot. Tears made their way down Taeyeon's face. 

"The doctor said she's fine, right? She'll be fine." Yoona rubbed her back as her cousin continued to cry on her shoulder. Yuri just stood next to Taeyeon, patting her back but she stayed quiet because she, herself, was also shocked with everything she just heard from the doctor.

Taeyeon didn't know how she should feel. A part of her is hurt that Jessica never told her any of this. But there's also a part of her which tells her that there's a reason for all that is happening right now. She just has to wait and talk to Jessica.

A nurse came out of Jessica's room and told them that the patient was now awake. Taeyeon immediately pulled out of the hug and wiped her tears.

"You can now go see the patient if you want to."

"Thank you, miss." Yuri bowed.

Yuri entered first, followed by Yoona. Taeyeon entered the room last.

"Sica unnie!"

"Jessica!" 

The two other girls called out at the same time. 

"Are you okay?" Yuri asked.

"I'm fine. Just a bit tired."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter