One Year Later... Plus One More

I'm sorry, but I can't.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyeon's POV

 

Seohyun told us that she's been looking for me since forever. She's the daughter of Seo Minah, who was my father's childhood friend, secretary, who's also a lawyer, that time. It turns out that he gave her a special task to look after me, and to make sure that I would be able to inherit what my father has left for me. 

But that was the problem. What did he leave me? What did dad have for me?

I don't know.

But that's why Seohyun and Aunt Minah came looking for me. Yes, Ms. Seo Minah asked me to call her that. They wanted to help me, to know what dad has left for me, for me to continue what he has started, whatever that meant.

For things to work out, I had to cooperate. I didn't want to believe them at first. What if they were one of those bad guys who killed my dad? How could I be sure that they were to be trusted enough for me to also trust them with the secret my dad and I shared? Could I trust them enough for me to tell them about the treasure chest?

Yes.

But what made me trust them that much, you ask? 

I found out that Seohyun has been transferring schools ever since middle school to help her mom accomplish her task to find me. It must've been hard for her to do all these just to find me. It lead me to question why they would go this far. Sure, Aunt Minah might've been really close with my dad, but the effort they've put in was what impressed me.

She told me that she really owed my father a lot, for he helped her during the time Seohyun's father died, and the debt that her husband had left was a lot too much that she almost had to pull Seohyun out from school, and she was only in kindergarten. She said that my father heard about what happened to her and wanted to hire her to be his secretary for her to be able to earn money for their daily needs. He offered to be the one to pay for Seohyun's education first while she was still finishing her final year to become a lawyer.

She wanted to express her gratitude to my father for helping them through their darkest days. My father, being the kind man he was, of course told her that everything is okay and that she didn't need to repay him the money that he lent them. She persisted in convincing him, until she and my father finally agreed on one thing. 

"I have a daughter named Taeyeon. Whatever happens in the future, make sure she gets all that is hers. Please look after her"   were my father's exact words according to her.

And I almost forgot to mention... Aunt Minah had her left forearm cut off. Why? It's all because of one thing...

She was also there when the ship exploded. She was there. 

 

It took a while (almost a year) for me to completely give in to their offer, but through the sincerity they've consistently shown me, and because of the stories that aunt Minah kept telling me about, which exactly fits my father's personality, I knew they were good people.

For starters, aunt Minah told me that apart from Disneyland which I knew he was working at, my father has another company, which he runs as the CEO, KDBP. It's the same company aunt Minah worked at as my father's secretary. That could explain why my father brought her along that night, probably for other concerns with regards with his other company. She was the one who took care of the company since dad was gone, but she told me that I was gonna have to be trained for I was going to have to step up as CEO as soon as possible.

From then on, we started to talk more about my dad's company, and my future.

My life hasn't been the same since then. 

 

And now, I'm right here again. In that same spot where we sat and watched the sun set, with your head placed on my shoulder, catching up on the days we haven't talked. But it's also the same spot where I cried, no, bawled my eyes out for you. It's both funny yet amazing how one place could trigger and make you recall so much memories. It became my go-to place and my sanctuary.

After I got home that night, Yuri got mad at me, saying she tried contacting me. But of course, my phone was left charging in my room so she couldn't reach me. And Yoona could only calm her down after my encounter with Seohyun. I hugged Yuri with all my might, and it made her shut up almost instantly. She hugged me back, after feeling her shirt getting wet with my tears. 

 

Year-end exams went by, which I miraculously managed to pass, and graduation came, but you never did. 
I graduated, along with the rest of our batchmates. My name got called and I walked up the stage. Yoona and Yuri were on the bleachers, standing and cheering for me. I was supposed to be happy, but I wasn't. Not without you there. I glanced at the empty chair provided for you, imagining you clapping so hard and grinning like there was no tomorrow.

Surely enough when your name was called, all our classmates looked up, expecting to see you get your diploma and even wave back to them from up the stage. For a moment I hoped too, but it just got crushed by reality. All of them were whispering and talking about why you didn't attend, or why you didn't show up even during the last days of school. One of them even asked me, but when I bowed my head and stayed silent, she gave up and turned to the others. I couldn't blame her. What was I supposed to say, anyway?

 

I went back to locking myself in my room, just like before, but they didn't give up on me. Auntie Kwon and Uncle Kwon visited for 3 days to attend Yuri's graduation and to check on me, before going back to the US for their business. You might be wondering, did I attend Yuri's graduation? Of course. She's my best friend. I didn't want to miss out the chance to see the person who's been there for me since childhood, go up the stage and get her diploma. And let me tell you, she was beyond tears to see me beside Yoona and her parents, smiling and clapping for her.

But the thing is, Yuri probably missed and declined almost all invitations to her friends' graduation afterparties just so she could have her party held at home, with me. That made me sad for a bit, knowing she really loves parties. She told me that it was okay, that it was better to have a graduation party with her closest friends at home than to have a party with people she barely knew. I will never know what I did to deserve a best friend like her.

I started going out of my room more frequently, although going out of the house still felt scary and difficult for me. But hey, that was a great improvement already.

 

A lot more things happened for the past two years, but they weren't all good stuff. There were bad stuff too. One of which was the YoonYul breakup. It's hard to admit but yes, they did.

I dunno if there were more reasons which might've added to the cause but all I know was that Yuri's jealousy issues were a big part of it. Because of Seohyun's close relation to my family, her visits became more frequent than before. Sometimes she would visit with aunt Minah, sometimes she would visit on her own to tell me more about my dad's company. Due her and Yoona's their hectic schedule, plus their frequent meetings for the drama club, which they both were included in, after school, they would often go home late, which would lead Seohyun to drive Yoona home. Yuri wasn't the biggest fan of that.

One night, Yuri prepared a special dinner at home for their 2nd anniversary. She told Yoona to go home early, but she came home later than ever. And worse, yep, you got that right, Seohyun drived her home. She told her that they finished really late because of the general rehearsal due to the fact that their school performance was going to be held the next day. But Yuri didn't believe her, got really mad and accused her of... well, let's just say that mean words were exchanged between the two of them before Yoona decided to end things that same night.

Where was I? I was at the living room, holding a bowl of popcorn which was supposed to be my snack while watching the movie playing on the TV, but I ended up watching a different kind of drama that night. In short, I witnessed everything.

Boy, was Yuri wrecked that night. She literally cried on me until she fell sleep. Sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter