Who You Are To Me

I'm sorry, but I can't.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The late night breeze was really cold, and I’m very thankful that I brought my jacket with me. But I guess the fact that I’m a bit irritated helped me because it helped me to ignore the current temperature. Yes, I left her there. That’s what she wanted anyway, right?

“She thinks she’s too good for me, huh?” I unconsciously kicked the sand. Good thing I left, I couldn’t just stay there and allow her to keep mocking me and stepping on me.

I continued walking and used the time for me to reflect on what has happened over the past days and weeks. Why did I meet her again? Does fate and circumstance have something to do with this?

I did wish for it. I wished to see Jessica again someday. But now that I did, she doesn’t remember me anymore. I sighed.

The current Jessica is y, arrogant, stubborn, you name it. I furrowed my eyebrows together as I thought about how different she is now from the Jessica I once met. But then again sometimes, I would catch glimpses of the Jessica I once knew in her eyes.

This is all getting too complicated for me.

I looked up the night sky. The stars are fewer in number than it was earlier. I wonder if she’s still by the shore watching how the stars twinkle. No wait, why do I even care?

I stopped in my tracks and sighed. Maybe it’s time to head back. We still got a whole day of challenges left for tomorrow.

I began to head back as I buried my hands further in my pockets. It wasn’t then that I realized that I’ve walked quite a distance and it took some time before I was back to where I left earlier. I couldn’t help but glance at the shore, where we sat earlier, to see if I could spot her, but she wasn’t there. I couldn’t hide the fact that I was kind of disappointed.

She must be asleep now.

I approached the door of our room and was about to twist the doorknob.

“Finally.” My body jerked a bit upon hearing her voice and my head automatically turned sideways. She was leaning on the wooden railing in front of our room in a crouching position. She looked very sleepy. I’m still a bit mad but I was curious as to why she’s still out here.

“Why-“

“Do you really think you could enter without the key?”

Oh right. Without the key, I wouldn’t be able to enter. It will only stay unlocked 20 minutes after it has been opened with the key. Yep I know, some weird doorknob.

 She lazily got up from the floor and headed towards the door to insert the key. After pushing the door open, she immediately entered and went straight to her bed to sit. She fiddled with her watch, I dunno why, before placing it on her bedside table. Next, she removed her sports shirt, leaving her on her sports bra. I had to look away and turn around to head towards my own bed for I suddenly felt really hot.

I waited 10 seconds before I turned around to look towards the other side of the room where her bed was.

She was now tucked under the sheets, facing the other way. Even though I couldn’t see her face, I’m pretty sure that she was already asleep. She must’ve gotten pretty tired waiting for me outside.

Wait.

She waited for me outside.

So I wouldn’t get locked out if she falls asleep.

Once again, I turned my body towards her direction. Did she wait out for me that it cost her the time intended for her beauty sleep? I shook my head, clearing it from such thoughts. No, she might’ve just thought that it was easier to wait than to get up the bed and open the door for me. I turned my body to the other side and sighed before I closed my eyes. Why are you confusing me, Jessica?

-

I stirred from my sleep when I heard a beeping sound. I reached for my phone from the nightstand and tried to press on the screen, hoping to shut the alarm off. I continued blindly pressing on my screen and was starting to get pissed that it won’t stop. I opened one eye after the other, only to find out that the beeping sound didn’t come from my phone.

My eyes enlarged when I realized that it must’ve been the alarm from Mrs. Song, trying to wake us up. I jumped off the bed, not even bothering to allot time to fix it. I grabbed my sportswear and dashed to the rest room to change. I got out in a record’s time and remembered something, or rather someone, crucial.

“Jessica, wake up! We need to-“ My sentence was cut in mid-air when I turned my head only to find her bed empty, and neat too.

Before my brain could even process things, I heard a familiar long whistle, followed by a voice projected by a megaphone.

“1 minute, everyone! Just one minute! Punishment will be doubled for today!”

So the alarm earlier wasn’t from Mrs. Song? It was then that I realized that the beeping sound was still ongoing, and I spotted Jessica’s watch on her bedside table. I went towards it and picked it up. I pressed a random button on her Baby G watch, which successfully stopped the beeping sound.

Where is Jessica?

I opened the drawers and the mini cabinet which should contain her things, but it was empty. Where is she?? I was already panicking, but my thoughts were interrupted when Mrs. Song started to count down from 10 again. I placed her watch back on the bedside table and tried to ‘fix’ my bed a bit. I took my coat and wrapped it around my waist again. While at it, I caught something sparkle from the corner of my eye and noticed that it was the key. It was on my bedside table. Why was it there? I have no idea. I just grabbed it and placed it inside my pocket. I know better than to leave it here and lock ourselves out again.

 

I ran towards the rows of people who were forming a line. Luckily, I made it on time again.

“Good Morning Everyone. Today will be the third and final day. As much as I’m excited for the challenges this day, I can’t help but feel disappointed towards some of you. Take a look around you. You may or may have noticed that your number has significantly decreased compared to yesterday.”

We all looked among each other and indeed, what Mrs. Song has just said was true.

“Last night, there were others who phoned home asking to pick them up to leave this place. Some probably got scared because I keep on making the third day sound terrible. But really, the challenges for the past two days weren’t even a big deal. Some also went home because they complained about the place and the absence of internet connection. I’m so disappointed!” The coordinator shook her head.

I was surprised by that. Why would they waste this opportunity just for comfort? I was saddened by that. But then I remembered, could Jessica be one of them? I tried looking around once more to find her. I was really worried that she might have given up too easily as well.

Then, I spotted her. On the second row of people. I don’t know why but there was a wave of relief which splashed on me. I thought she left because of last night. But good thing she didn’t. I didn’t know how she was able to wake up this early and why she left without even saying anything.

I suddenly remembered that I was supposed to be mad and wasn’t supposed to talk to her so I tore my eyes off her and tried to get her off my mind.

-

Mrs. Song wasn’t kidding when she said that the activities for the day were going to be the most challenging ones yet. The first challenge involved the beach. For the first time since this whole event happened, I wasn’t grouped with Jessica Hwang. I know it sounds a bit off. So pardon me if I still call her Jessica Jung from time to time.

We were supposed to get a can of soda from our team’s basket, swim for about 20 meters from the shore towards the plank of wood intended for each team and stack them into a pyramid. There were 6 members per team, and we have to make sure that each one of us will place each can carefully and properly, so that the next member will be able to stack his or her can properly. We will all be just responsible for our own cans, and we can’t move our teammate’s cans as well.

The only one who will be alowed to fix the cans of sodas will be the last member of the team who will place the last can on top. If the cans fall, he/ she will be allowed to fix it, given that the time is still not up. 7 minutes will be time allotted. 1 minute per member and an extra minute was added for allowance, in case the cans of soda were really not stacked properly, allowing the last member to be able to fix them. The sea is a bit alive this morning, but it’s still early so I guess it’s okay. The whole challenge seems easy, right?

Wrong.

For me, at least. Playing in the water is okay, swimming for a short period of time is also okay. But I have a phobia of staying in the water for too long. So it’ll be a challenge for me. I just have to do my part really fast and everything will go well, right?

Wrong again.

Unfortunately, I was assigned as the last member for our team. So I’m the one responsible for stacking the last and final can, and also the one who will cover and make use of the extra one minute to fix the pyramid, in case the cans weren’t stacked probably or fell.

My heart was starting to race because it felt like the huge part of this challenge depended on me. And I had to stay strong.

When Mrs. Song blew the whistle, the first players of each team grabbed a soda can and ran towards the sea as fast as they could. I could see that some were strong swimmers, and some weren’t as much. Even from a distance, I could see that our team’s cans were stacked properly by each member. They were aligned and were close to each other. I was waiting for one person left before my turn so I got ready.

My teammate tapped my shoulder, and off I went. I ran as fast as I could and from my peripheral, I could see Jessica running towards the water as well. I guess it’s safe to say that she’s also the last member of their team. I know she’ll do great in the water, she was our school’s best swimmer in those days, after all.

I entered the water, and I tried to be as calm as I could. So far, so good. I was able to swim the first half of the distance properly. I don’t usually get tired easily, so I thought about why the other half of my body was suddenly getting tired.  Then, I felt it. I suddenly remembered about my injured left arm. I was using and moving it a lot for this challenge, which caused the pain to come back again. Let me tell you, every time I moved it, it hurt a lot.

I successfully reached our team’s plank. Since my can has to be placed on the top, I had to exert a bit of effort in raising my body so that I could reach it. I used my left hand to push my body upwards and place my can on top. But while at it, my left arm started to shake, probably because I was again exerting more force and pressure on it.  Now I think I could really confirm that my left arm, no matter how many times I tried to deny it, is indeed broken.

Oh no.

The plank was beginning to sway, and it didn’t help that the sea was starting to lose its calmness. I tried using my right hand to push myself up instead, and my left hand to place the can on top. I tried to hurry up, but when I did, my left hand knocked the bottom can, sending all the other cans to the water.

!

I gathered every can once more and started stacking them. I’m beginning to feel really anxious for staying in the water too long. This time, I used my left hand to push me up, and my right hand to place the can.

Please.. please.. come on!

Success! I was finally able to place the last can on top to complete the pyramid, and from here, I could hear the cheers of my teammates. I started to head back, but each I took, the more painful my left arm got. My anxiety was worsening as well.

Come on, I’m halfway there.

My left arm was stiffening, and suddenly, I couldn’t even move it anymore. I tried moving it, but it was as stiff as it could be. .

 

The waves began to engulf me, and I tried my best to propel myself towards the land, but there was no way I could swim with one hand. Not in this state. I tried inhaling as much air as I could every time my head would pop above the water, but I was starting to take in an amount of seawater, which is far from good. I wailed my right arm above, because it’s the only thing I could do. I wasn’t sure if what I’m hearing was the sound of the waves or the sound of people screaming. I didn’t want to die yet, that’s for sure.

It seemed like God answered my prayer for I felt an arm grab my right hand, before wrapping it around my neck to pull my head above water. Because of the saltwater, I couldn’t open my eyes to see who it was. The best thing I could do was to make sure that I wouldn’t swallow any more sea water.

Soon enough, my back felt the warmness of the sand. I struggled to breathe as my lungs were filled with salt water.

I started to hear noises, and now I were sure that they were voices. I felt someone slapping my cheek and shaking me.

 

“Hey!” I could only manage to keep my eyes open into slits, enough to make of a silhouette of a girl.

“Hey, Wake up!”

...

“Taengoo!”

 

Those were the only things I heard before I out.

 

-

Wait, what?!

-

 

My eyes fluttered open and I immediately sat up and began coughing out water. I could hear sighs of relief while coughing. I rubbed my eyes and took deep breaths.

“You’re a brave one, I must say. One minute without response but you’re still good. Took you 3 rounds of pumping.” A man, which I’m guessing was the lifeguard, spoke up.

“Y-you didn’t kiss me or anything like that, right?”

He laughed. “I didn’t. I was about to, though. But every time I was about to, it seemed like you were going to cough so I stuck with pumping.”

“Taeyeon, are you okay?” I felt a hand rub my back. I turned my head to see who it was, and I would be lying if I were to say that I didn’t expect to see another person.

“I’m okay, Sheryl.”

“You didn’t respond for a minute. That was so scary.”

“Don’t worry, I’m alive.” I managed to laugh it off.

“I saw how brave and determined you were to stack all your team’s cans.” Oh, right.

“How was it? Did the cans fall again?” I was worried that my efforts were wasted.

“Nope. They didn’t. Your teammates were so happy. I think you should approach them later. I’m sure they would want to thank you.”

“Oh. Sure, I will. By the way, thanks for saving me.”

“What do you mean?”

“I know I should thank the lifeguard, but I’d like to thank you for saving me in the water earlier. You got me out in time.”

“Oh umm.. as much as I would like to take credit for that, I can’t. I was the one who called for the lifeguard, but I wasn't the one who saved you out of water.”

“Th-then who?”

 “It was Jessica.”

“Jessica?” I suddenly remembered what happened before I out.

“Mhmm. Their team even won first place in this challenge. She was pretty fast.”

 “Where is she?”

“She’s- Wait. She was here a while ago.” Sheryl looked around for a couple of seconds before she stopped and pointed somewhere behind me.

“There. I think that’s her.” I followed her finger’s direction and I spotted her walking away. I don’t know where she was heading to, but my body acted before I could even think. I pushed myself off the ground to stand.

“Taeyeon, are you fine now? Don’t push yourself. You can rest here for a while.”

“I’m okay. I.. just have to do something.”

“Are you sure?”

“No, I’m okay. I’m sure. Thank you so much for your help.” I bowed towards the lifeguard and gave Sheryl a smile before running off towards the direction where my heart was telling me to.

I overtook and stopped in front of her, to stop her from walking further. She looked up and she looked like she was surprised to see me.

“Jessica.” She looked down, away from my eyes, but she responded. We were suddenly so awkward.

“What?”

“Thanks for saving me in the water. I-if it weren't for you, I would’ve drowned.” I was trying to be really careful with what I’m saying and I might’ve looked like an idiot while at it.

“Oh. No problem.”

I nodded my head, but she didn’t seem to see at as she still wasn’t looking straight at me. I didn’t know what to say next. She was the one who broke the silence.

“If that’s all then I’ll get going.” She took a step towards the right to walk past me, and it seemed like it was the triggering factor for my mind to resume functioning.

“Wait!” I grabbed her wrist, which made her stop in her tracks. Not only that, I was now successful in making her look straight at me. Now’s my chance.

“A while ago.. you… y-you called me Taengoo.”

I’m aware of the fact that I was staring at her intensely, with the intention not to let her break her eye contact with me.

“What do you mean?”

“Taengoo. Before I out on the shore. I heard you”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. It must’ve been Sheryl or another person.” No, it was your voice, I can’t be wrong.

“B-but I.. you…” I sighed. Maybe I was really hearing things. She looked really uncomfortable, and I realized that I was gripping her wrist tightly. I loosened and let go of her arm. “I’m sorry.”

She looked at me as she rubbed her left wrist. I didn’t mean to grip her wrist that tight. Before I could as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter