Did you just get here?

If i gave you my heart

 

Yoona opened the gate and found Nickhun outside.

“What brings you here?” Yoona asked him as she looked around seeing if that person is around.

“Uhm… Yoona? Why are you holding a baseball bat?” he asked back as he look at the thing she was holding.

“Did you just get here?” Yoona asked again still holding the bat just in case.

“Yeah. We switched our notebook in English and I have an exam tomorrow so I came here get mine.” He then handed her the notebook. Yoona looked at it and recognized it was hers.

“Come inside quickly.” She said as she pulled Nickhun inside then quickly closed the gate.

“I’m sorry about that.” Yoona said as she placed the bat aside.

“So Yoona, would you tell me why you’re holding a baseball hat? Are you playing alone or something?” he asked as he sat on the couch.

“Ah… Uhm… Erm… Someone was following me on the way home.” Yoona said as she handed him his notebook. She was startled by Nickhun’s action.

“Really?! Are you okay!? Were you hurt!?” he exclaimed as he inspect Yoona for cuts or bruises.

“Anniyo, good thing I took notice so I ran as fast as I could and locked the gate before that person could enter.” Yoona replied.

“Good thing you weren’t hurt.” He said then went on the window to peek outside.

“Did you call someone?” he seriously said. Yoona got nervous by his question.

“What?” she asked then looked for the baseball bat. She then noticed it was a few meters away from Nickhun.

“I said did you call someone?” he said again still his back on her; looking through the window. There was something off with his voice and that made Yoona tense.

“I called Donghae but…” she said as she retreats backward.

“What did he say?” he asked again.

“Uhm… he did… he didn’t answer his phone.” Yoona nervously said. Nickhun then suddenly looked at her.

“What!?” he exclaimed. “This is the time you need him the most and he’s not around!? What kind of a boyfriend is he?!”

“Maybe he’s already asleep or something.”Yoona said as he defended him.

“I’ll stay here with you.” Nickhun suddenly said; his face still serious.

“No really, I’m fine” Yoona declined. She doesn’t want to burden him. “Besides, we still have a class tomorrow.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll leave as soon as your boyfriend gets here. If not, I’ll leave first thing in the morning.” He replied. “Besides, who knows when the attacker would barge in here? That person should’ve known you’re alone here today that’s why he/she thought of attacking you today.”

“Well, you’re right. You can stay here. You can occupy my brother’s room if you want.” Yoona said as she picks-up her things. “I’ll go to my room now. I’m still tired of what happened. Just knock on my door if you need anything.

“Nickhun, I’m sorry.” Yoona said as she stopped before going up the stairs.

“For what?” He replied as he placed down his English notebook.

“I was uhm.. I was suspicious of you a while ago. I was kind of thinking that you’re the attacker. I tensed up when you started asking those questions. You were too serious.” Yoona replied.

“Mianhe. I was thinking of what could happen if you didn’t get to go inside first. I didn’t like the idea. And also as I was looking through the window, I saw a black figure looking at the house.” Nickhun said then looked at the door if it was locked thoroughly.

“Thank you for accompanying me tonight. You’re such a good friend. Good night.” Yoona smiled at him then went up in my room.

“Good night. Anything for you Yoona.” Nickhun thought to himself. He then looked through the window again. “I wonder who that person was. And what is his motive?”

Yoona woke up early in the morning the next day and found that Nickhun was gone.

“He surely abided by his promise. I should thank him somehow for accompanying me.” Yoona said to herself. She checked her phone and found no messages or call backs from Donghae.

“What’s up with that guy? I should talk about it later with him”Yoona thought to herself and went to prepare herself for the class.

 

“Oh my God Yoona!! Good thing nothing happened to you!!” Yuri exclaimed as Yoona told them about the story.

“Calm down. There’s no need to be hysterical.” Yoona said as she closed Yuri’s mouth. There were a few students looking at us.

“You should’ve stayed at house. Maybe that’s why I’m feeling uneasy last night when you left. It’s my fault if something happened to you.” Seohyun said as she felt distressed by the matter.

“It’s not your fault Seo, besides nothing happened.” Yoona then comforted her. “Good thing Nickhun accompanied me at home last night.”

“Good thing Nickhun was there.” Seohyun echoed.

“But why was he there?” Yuri asked.  She’s feeling inquisitive again.

“We switched our notebooks in English. He came to get his because they have an exam today.” Yoona replied. The two just nodded as they understood.

“Did you tell it to your parents?” Seohyun asked.

“Do you want them to kill me or get mad? They’ll just ask why I was out that late. I’ll just trouble them. They’ll be worried if they found out about it.” Yoona replied as she looked through the people eating at the canteen.

“But did you tell it to Donghae?” Seohyun asked again.

“I did but I haven’t heard anything from him; even this morning. I’ll talk to him about it later.” Yoona answered; still looking through the crowd, still finding Donghae. “Uhm. Seo, where did Yonghwa and Donghae go last night?”

“Did they go out? After I got home, Yonghwa came about five minutes after. We discussed about our project and I also helped him with their oral exam.” Seohyun replied as she ate her food.

“Really? Maybe he went out with the other boys.” Yoona concluded. Yuri, on the other hand, we’re just listening at them. “I just hope he was really out with his friends.” She mumbled to herself without letting the two hear her.

“Speaking of, where is he? He’s not with Yonghwa and Jong Hyun.” Yuri said as she gestured towards their table. Yoona and Seohyun also looked at it.

“Maybe he’s with Seungho or Joon; or maybe he’s doing something.” Yoona guessed. Yuri just scoffed off. Yuri was feeling something’s quite not right.

 

Donghae and Yoona didn’t meet throughout the day. Yoona then decided to wait for him outside his locker after class. Donghae then arrived after five minutes. He was surprised at first when he saw her.

“Why were you startled when you saw me? Did you expect someone other than me?” She jokingly asked him. He just smiled at her.

“Anniyo. I thought you’re at the library already.” He said as he opened his locker.

“I just wanted to see you. We haven’t bump with each other even during our lunch break.” Yoona replied. “I tried to call you last night but you weren’t picking up. You also didn’t reply to my messages.”

“Ah, I’m sorry. I was out with the boys last night.” He replied as he placed some books in his locker.

“Is Yonghwa with you?” Yoona asked him.

“Of course, why wouldn’t he be?” he said as he closed his locker. “I’m sorry I didn’t notice your calls.”

“You’re with Yonghwa last night? All throughout the night?” Yoona asked him again just to make sure.

“Yep but I’m not sure.” He answered. Yoona was frozen by what he said. “What’s with your message last night? It seems like it was urgent.”

“Ah nothing. I was just worried about you last night.” Yoona lied. “Come on. Let’s go to the library.” Yoona then hold onto his arm.

“Actually Yoong, Sica… I mean… Jessica and I are doing some field research today so I’m not going at the library.” He replied; troubled about what Yoona’s reaction would be.

“Oh! I guess we won’t be able to go home together too right?” Yoona said. Donghae just nodded.

“Arasso! Just don’t do something behind my back or else.” Yoona then gave her a death glare then chuckled after seeing Donghae’s anxious reaction.

“Are you really that terrified?” Yoona said as she laughed. Donghae just gave her a weak smile.

“I’ll go now okay. Take care on your way home.” He said as he kissed Yoona’s forehead.

“Okay. Take care too. I love you.” Yoona smiled at him.

“Love you.” Donghae abruptly said then left, leaving Yoona dazed at his attitude today.

 

“What’s wrong with him? Something must have been bothering him.” Yoona said to herself while she sat on a school bench.

“Boo!” Nickhun startled her.

“Yaaa! Why’d you have to do that!?” she exclaimed at him. Nickhun just laughed at her.

“I saw you thinking deeply so I took it as a chance to startle you.” He said as he sat beside her. “What were you thinking?”

“Uhm. About Donghae? He’s not his usual self today. I wonder what’s wrong with him.” Nickhun’s smile was gone after hearing Donghae’s name.

“Have you told him about last night Yoona?” Nickhun seriously asked her.

“Not yet.” Yoona replied.

“Why!? You should have told him!? You should have asked him why he didn’t come when you need him the most!?” Nickhun exclaimed with fury.

“I don’t want to bother him plus he’s worrying about something.” Yoona said trying to calm Nickhun down but it just made him angrier.

“What are you saying!? He’s your boyfriend. He should worry about you. You should be one of his top priorities. Don’t say that. Don’t you feel distressed that you weren’t accompanied by your boyfriend when you need him the most?!”

His words struck Yoona’s heart. Of course she hoped, Donghae would arrive last night and assure her that everything’s alright but it just didn’t happen. As much as she wants to get mad at him, she can’t do that. She knows he has other problems that he has in his life.

“You’re right but nothing happened right? I’m still thankful that you accompanied me last night.” Yoona just looked at him. Nickhun smiled back but notice her eyes were getting teary.

“Maybe I was too harsh on her. Donghae should be the one I’m getting mad to.”Nickhun thought to himself.

“As a way of thanking you, I brought these.” Yoona ten took out something inside her bag. “Here are some cookies I baked during the weekend. I hope you like it.”

Nickhun gave out his best smile. He didn’t know Yoona would act like this way. “Thank you. I’m going to eat one now. It looks delicious.”

He then ate one piece and smiled at Yoona. “These are delicious.”

“I’m glad you liked it.” Yoona smiled back.

“Here eat one before we head to the library.” Nickhun then gave him a cookie.

“I’m sorry for getting acting ridiculous a while ago. I was just worried about you.” Nickhun said as he looked down. She just smiled at him. “It’s okay. I understand you.”

“Thank you really last night. I never knew what could happen if you didn’t come.” Yoona said then gratefully embraced Nickhun. “I had a good night sleep knowing you’re around.” Nickhun smiled at her words.

 

Not far from where they were, someone was hiding as that person was taking photos of them.

“What a sweet little treat from Yoona.” She said the walked away before someone could see what she’s doing.