Snow

Together We Make a Family

I am on term break till like 10 Jan :D This sem has not been very good for me.

Still, happy holidays to all of my readers! 

Thank you for subscribing even though I have not been updating lately. Love y'all lots :DDD

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

The wind whispered as the snow fell like confetti on. I gazed at the untouched snow in front of me. The swirling white and the lush grass collided. The shrubs and trees were stained with white. The ground was as smooth as a cake and the snow fell like icing powder, perfecting it to its finest point.

“That,” Eunjung breathed. “Is snow.”

She giggled and clapped her hands.

“How did you get so smart?” I squished her cheeks together.

Eunjung pressed her face to the window pane, the snowflakes were as large as the peas she squashed each mealtime rather than eat them.

Only instead of a being that boring green they were whiter than the new socks Grandma had given her for Christmas, and certainly a good deal whiter than they were now.

After only a minute she could no longer see, her own breath, having misted up the glass.

I opened the window and inhaled the crisp, cool air. Snow!

I turned to Eunjung. As if she sensed my thoughts, she turned her head towards me.

“Are you thinking what mummy is thinking?” My eyes adjusted to the soft light illuminating from the table that sat in the kitchen.

Eunjung just smiled.

A smile appeared on my lips. “I’m sure he doesn’t mind.”

“Don’t tell daddy, okay?” I pointed my finger at her.

“Yes, mummy,” She nodded her head and laughed.

Without calling out my intentions, I scooped Eunjung into my arms and raced out to the porch and stuck my tongue as far out as it would go.

The flakes melted on contact with the raised pink buds. She'd been hoping for a burst of flavour like from those slushies at the movie theatre, but instead there was less flavour than the tap water. Like something had been taken out.

“Yah, what are you two thinking?” A shout emerged from the kitchen.

Already her skin was as lumpy as the mountain range before him and she felt her muscles begin to quiver without her meaning to. Eunjung crouched down to poke the drifts at her feet.

Not caring that it was frigid, I ran and twirled. The white rain from the heavens fell faster and faster, almost mimicking my eccentric twirling.

Intricate patterns of ice floated weightlessly downward from the pure white sky above, each flake swirling and dancing.

“I should punish you later,” JongIn whispered softly by my ear as I giggled and turned my head to kiss his cheek.

“I might be on call,” I whispered back and smirked. A small smile began to grow on his face.

The sky was clear now, a perfect uninterrupted blue. It was odd to think that the grass is still down there, surviving as best it can until the spring melt, entombed in the compacted and icy layers lower down.

After yesterday's storm the top layer is perfect powder, our coldest season doesn't get any better than this.

Pulling me to where Eunjung was, he pressed his chest to my back.

Eunjung’s finger hole remained. This was too good; softer than ice, thicker than soup. She poked holes into the snow.

“Eunjung, it’s getting cold. We should get inside,” JongIn called out.

Her liquid brown eyes looked up at me sorrowfully. I felt like I was falling into a pool of deep chocolate. 

She shook her head violently. “Noooooooooo, I don’t wanna.”

“Please?” She mumbled and sniffled lightly.

JongIn blinked, his expression clearly saying that he did not agree.

“Ah!” I snapped my fingers.

I crouched down till my eyes were level to Eunjung’s. “Let’s watch Frozen instead?”

JongIn quirked up and eyebrow, “Are you sure, jagi?”

The last time we watched Frozen, Eunjung could not stop singing the song for months on end.

“Yeah,” she smiled slightly. “With choco hot too.”

I picked Eunjung into my arms. “You mean hot chocolate?”

“But I don’t want to watch Frozen,” He pouted at me.

“Too bad,” I snorted. “We’re going to have lots of fun!”

JongIn grumbles slightly under his breath.

She enjoyed everything about this kind of weather, the satisfaction of being the first to make an impression in a blanket of freshly lain snow, the subtle crunch underfoot as she strode forward and the best bit of all...being with her mummy.

And daddy.

Even if he doesn’t really like Frozen.