Displeased

Together We Make a Family

Thank you for the comments :D An update for you guys as a gift from me !

This chapter is a bit different from the usual happy scenarios.

Please don't hate me for writing this XD

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sweet autumnal fragrance that greeted JongIn as he opened the door could only mean one thing - pumpkin pie! Either it was almost finished baking in the oven or else it was cooling on the counter.

His eyes widened with what he saw in the kitchen next.

The pie was already on the counter, the cinnamon coloured filling delicately wrinkled all the way to a golden crust. It was all he could do not to grab a knife and dig in, but if he did that how would he stop himself? In minutes it would be an ex-pumpkin pie.

He had difficulty swallowing the thick layer of saliva forming in his throat.

There sitting in the middle of the counter was a big bowl of Caramel goodness. The colour was so fresh; bright, shiny brown. The caramel was a gooey honey like liquid with a more opaque appearance. It consisted of shades varying from beige to dark-brown colours. JongIn dipped his finger in the bowl full of melted warm caramel to taste and his tongue was instantly stimulated with a little bit sweet and buttery taste. A true deep South flavour. It was light and rich...he loved nothing more.

He was about to dip another finger inside the bowl when the soft pattering of footsteps stopped him from doing so.

“Daddy,” Eunjung reached her arms out for her father.

JongIn looked around, afraid that someone might witness him stealing food from the kitchen. He bent forward till his eyes were level with Eunjung. “Pretend you didn’t see me alright?”

The girl cocked her head to the side. Her gaze was focused on the shiny brown substance on her daddy’s finger.

“No, no, you’re not –“. She leaned forward and it off his finger.

He slumped his shoulders. “Supposed to eat that.”

He ruffled his hair. “More, daddy, more!”

Eunjung jumped up and down excitedly.

“No.” JongIn crossed his arms and gave her a straight face.

She blinked, her bottom lip jutted forward. Slowly, she dragged her eyes from the bowl of Caramel to her daddy.

He couldn’t resist her cuteness.

He picked Eunjung into his arms. “One time only.”

She nodded her head vehemently at the option.

Soon the bowl was empty.

“Oh well,” JongIn commented simply.

“Daddy look!” Eunjung turned herself abruptly in his arms.

Muffins covered the cooling racks, golden domes perfectly cracked down the centre.

“We shouldn’t.” Each one was still warm to the touch.

JongIn took one in his hand; his fingers spreading around it like someone larger might hold a cereal bowl. His eyes never left it as he brought his other hand to tear off a piece, allowing a small column of steam to rise upward, deepening the aroma of the kitchen.

“Daddy, memememmemememememememe!” Eunjung grinned.  

Instead of chewing Eunjung let the crumbs melt onto her tongue as only freshly baked cake could, her eyes closing to deepen the pleasure of the moment.

Before he could break off another piece there were keys in the door and he jumped, a broad smile painted on so fast it could have been photoshopped there; his wife was home.

I stared open-mouthed at the sight in front of me.

“What did you do?” I turned a light glare at my husband.

“Well,” He started. “You’re a great baker?”

I bit my lower lip as I tried to control my emotions. “Those are for the party later.”

My gaze averted to the empty blue bowl which was supposed to contain the Caramel icing for the muffins. “Where did the icing go?”

“Eunjung,” I called out.

She turned her attentive eyes to me, hands outstretched. “Mummy.”

“Are you in this too?” I asked her.

Suddenly the floor seemed so much more interesting to look at.

“Do you know how long I took to bake all these?” I hissed out, tears were already starting to burn at the back of my eyes.

There was a clenching in his chest at the sight of my tears; he was never good with anybody crying. 

“I didn’t know,” his voice said softly.

He tugged at my hand. “Did you wish Yixing oppa a happy birthday?”

His wide eyes gave everything away. How could he have forgotten?

“Thought so.” He realized how disappointed I was with him.

When I faced away Eunjung drew her eyes back up to me slowly. She knew that I was sad. There was something about the way my body posture was situated. She could sympathize though; she knew how it felt when someone stole her toy from her.

“Where are you going?”

“To make more icing,” I said without turning around to face him. I gathered all the ingredients and went to the other side of the kitchen.

“I’m really sorry about this, jagi,” He sighed softly, his attention to me.

“Mm,” Was all I said as I stirred the contents in the bowl.

“You could have asked me first.” I mumbled. He could immediately hear the sulking tone in my voice.

“I said I was sorry.” He managed to mumble back, “I didn’t realize that you wanted to bring them over to hyung’s party.”

I just sighed and slouched a little on the bench, “Well. Too late for all of that now.”

 “Let me help,” He placed Eunjung down and rolled up his sleeves.

He knew that I wouldn’t forgive him that easily.

With the muffins and pies all packed into boxes, the three of us were ready to head over to the birthday boy’s place.

A beeping sound sliced through the thick tension in the air. “Hello.” I answered the call.

My eyes narrowed slightly. “Now?”

JongIn turned his gaze to me as he buckled Eunjung into her seat.

“Okay.”

“You guys go ahead. The hospital needs me.” I gave Eunjung a kiss on the forehead and pinched her cheeks.

What about me, JongIn thought to himself.

“I-I can send you –”

“It’s okay,” I closed the door to the passenger seat.

He waited for a goodbye kiss from his wife.

“What are you waiting for?” I asked.

He smiled at me genuinely. “My kiss?”

I scoffed slightly and leaned in.

The kiss never came. “Dream on.” I whispered in his ear

I my heel before patting his cheeks.

Urgh, he needed a plan to make his wife happy soon!