Moved

Together We Make a Family

I sighed heavily as I proceeded to check on Eunjung. Upon arriving at the hall, I saw that her bedroom door was slightly ajar, a yellowish glow coming out from it.

Silently, I made my way towards the day, hearing a few murmurs which I recognised as my husband’s voice. I took a peek and saw that it was indeed JongIn, sitting on the bed with Eunjung on his lap.

Eunjung bowed her head, causing her brownish-black hair to spill slightly across her face.

“Eunjung ah,” JongIn called out as he crouched down so that his eyes could be on the same level as his daughter.

“Where are you?” He cooed as he lifted strands of her hair from her face.

“Oh! There you are!” At that Eunjung giggled and I couldn’t help but smile at that sight.

“Let’s get you to sleep,” JongIn said.

She snuggled on his chest. “Nooo-nooo.”

JongIn kissed the crown of her head and hugged her tight. “Why not?”

She scrambled down from his lap and started to take out her art materials. “Draw!”

JongIn laughed at how cute his daughter was being. She emptied the crayons on the floor and laid a drawing block.

Eunjung immediately began to draw a picture while her father watched her in awe.

To him, her art might be incomprehensible but he thought that it was the most beautiful drawing he had ever seen. It seemed only like yesterday when Eunjung held the crayon with both hands. Currently, she was able to hold her the crayons with the thumb opposing her four fingers.

“In art our spirits rise, in stories we are enthralled and elevated. With creativity we make connections between disparate people, we learn that through our many lenses we are seeing the same whole, only the path before our feet is still blurred. Life should never be art vs science, but a beautiful marriage of the two,” JongIn thought as he gazed at Eunjung’s drawing with his chin propped on his knees.

Eunjung looked over to see that JongIn had not drawn anything on his paper.

Pouting, she pointed to the paper. “Daddy, draw.”

“Okay,” JongIn picked up a crayon and began to draw a picture with his daughter.

Eunjung completed her drawing and tapped her father’s shoulder. JongIn cocked his head to the side as he analysed her drawing.

“Who is this?” JongIn pointed to a brown blob and spiky things coming out from it.

“Hyunsik oppa,” Eunjung said proudly.

JongIn nearly let out a snort as he tried to suppress his laughter.

“And who is this with a triangle on his head?”

“Chanming oppa!” His eyes widened slightly before forming crescents.

“You didn’t draw a picture of me?” JongIn asked with a tone of disappointment.

He picked up Eunjung and playfully spun her around. He then stopped and tickled her.

“You love Hyunsik and Chanming oppa more than me?” JongIn playfully asked his daughter. She was unable to speak as she was laughing so hard. She simply shook her head.

JongIn stopped teasing his daughter and sat upright. “Eunjung loves daddy more?”

She merely her lips and stood up. She pulled her father’s hand and led him to the drawers at the corner of the room.

Eunjung rummaged through the drawers and revealed stacks and stacks of drawings.

“Daddy,” She said meekly and handed him the papers.

He ran his index finger along the gold framing.

His eyes were moving from place to place unable to decide what the focus of the piece was. He could only imagined that the art reflects the chaos inside the artist.

The colours are vivid, almost to the point of garish. The lines are bold and the images from out of this world. It was both stunning and head-ache inducing, it's like a novel condensed onto a single page.

It was drawings of him in different scenarios. In the practice room, on stage, talking to his daughter, with his band members…

He’d like to see it as a series of paintings with each idea given time and space to be expressed, to communicate the meaning that was inside its creator.

However all of that did not matter, as it was drawn by his daughter.