Denial

Together We Make a Family

I had this written ages ago. Was only waiting for the right time to upload it XD

Enjoy and do leave comments!

.........................

His eyes drifted to my side of the bed. It was empty and cold.

“Jagi,” he mumbled. He propped himself up on his elbow with a sigh.

He swung his feet out of the bed and sat there, staring into the darkness, for a second.

He stood up and walked out of the room, “She could be in the living room.”

The hallway was dark as he shuffled his way to the living room. He could only hear the soft breeze from outside.

Right now, he leaned against the wall, fascinated, as I read my book in the corner of the room. 

She stood like a statue on the shore, her toes buried deep underneath the damp sand.

A fringe of lace spread over the beach, wetting the woman's feet through the delicate green tissue that wrapped around her pale pink body.

It would be long until night fell, the darkness awakening those who live when all else sleep. Yet as the daylight dimmed and the night began to tick by...her eyes never left the frantic waves. 

They called to her, beckoning her to return home. And the louder the ocean screamed, the more she dreaded the new life she bargained for. She had asked for freedom, but she never realized freedom was so cruel and cost so much. 

Salty tears rolled over her round cheeks.

Sniffing, she wiped them away, trying to stay strong and not fall apart then and there.

There's no time to cry, she told herself. 

The lingering light was obliterated by the rapidly falling night. The once orange and purple sky transformed into a sheet of jet-black, which engulfed the beach. Stars reflected off the cold water. Some dull, some merely flickered into existence, but there was a vast amount shimmering bright like diamonds against the moonless sky. 

Behind her, facing the beach was a small town. Its lights crawling closer towards the ocean, rebounding off the jeweled cloth the woman wore, making it seem as if everything that generated light was powered by her.

She couldn't stay here.

Nothing would be achieved with laziness.

She had to go and search, for if she didn't...she would be trapped in an endless pit of darkness forever.

I turned the page in my book and he let his eyes fall to my hands. He could see small chips in my nails and the skin that peeled due to the cold weather. He loved the way he could fit his hand into mine.

He wanted to hold my hand. But he refrained.

I was always unaware while I read. The words I read in my head would always be louder than anything else.

He smiled lightly to himself.

He thought I was gorgeous.

“What are you doing?” His groggy voice asked me even though he already knew the answer.

I looked over my shoulder to see the dark haired boy rubbing his eyes.

He looked absolutely precious.

How could he look so cute after just getting up?

JongIn had comfortably laid his head on to my lap while I sat on the couch; he had sneakily managed to do so before the l could protest. I, in fact had started finger-combing his hair, making him smile with triumph. He had to admit it was quite relaxing after a tiring day at work, besides my fruity scent that lingered calmed him down.

Even the others had agreed, to his dismay, that they found me attractive. He wasn’t sure how he felt about them looking at me with those kind of eyes, but they laughed his worry away. They weren’t interested in me in that way.

It was their loss really, he had mused in the end.

They’d never see how beautiful I was through his eyes.

“Reading,” I lazily replied as I continued to run my fingers through JongIn’s hair. His hair tickled my thighs causing me to giggle softly.

“I thought you already read that,” He said, looking at me intently with one of his eyebrows raised.

 “My third book,” I stated.

He yawned, “But it’s almost two thirty in the morning!”

“Wait, you are not jealous are you?” I , clearly liking this side of him.

“Pffft… of course not. Why would I be jealous of a book?” He replied cockily, although he was feeling quite insecure that his wife was spending more time with a book compared to him.

I placed my one of my hand over his mouth. “Now hush. Let me get back to my book.”

He grinned. “Let’s go back to bed.”

I lifted my head from my book and turned to him abruptly. “One more chapter!”

He reached out and ruffled my hair. “Bed.”

I pouted hoping my husband would allow me. “Oppa, just one more, please. I even said the magic word.”

“Jagi, no. Don’t even think about it.”

“But…”

“Your ‘one more chapter’ would mean another chapter by the time you would have read one chapter. And another and another. And you would have completed the book!” He retorted sarcastically.

He poked the side of my head. “Can’t you listen to me for once?”

“Yah. Don’t poke my head,” I swatted at his hand lightly. “I do listen to you. It’s just … just one more. Please...” I made my saddest look and did my best to convince him.

He sighed. “Fine. You need to keep me warm then.”

He snuggled his head into my leg and adjusted his body. He reached behind his back and pulled a cushion into his arms to cuddle.

I rubbed small circles on his head absentmindedly.

JongIn blinked slowly at the TV in front of him. He was seeing it but not really seeing it. He could feel his mind starting to drift off to sleep.

I chuckled at the sight on my lap.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Couldn’t he just admit that he can’t sleep without me?