Innocence

Together We Make a Family

“Sit.”

Automatically, the dog obeyed. Jjanggu had his doggy eyes fixed on me. His eye brows twitched from side to side in that way he does when he's trying to figure something out and it just isn't working for him.

I placed the dog biscuit in front of him causing the dog to observe the tempting biscuit in front of him.

“Give me your hand,” My hand was outstretched in front of me. Confidently,  he placed his right paw in my hand.  I tried to prevent a smile from forming on my face. Hesitantly, he switched paws and placed his left paw instead. Within a split second, he decided to put both paws on my hand. Smart.

I pointed to the biscuit in front of Jjanggu. The dog followed my finger and drooped his head, waiting patiently for me to give the next set of intentions.

Eunjung stood beside me, one hand holding firmly onto my shoulder. Her eyes narrowed as she concentrated on the biscuit instead of the dog.

“Okay,” I said simply.

His jowls were almost grinning after he consumed the treat. The toddler moved forward and stretched out her hands as she placed them on Jjanggu’s smooth back.

Eunjung’s hands haven’t even reached his back when the dog scurried away. Frustrated, she walked around in circles and kicked Jjanggu’s toys. I bit my lip, trying to stifle a laugh.

With those big eyes and his tail swishing like he had just got all his birthday wishes at once, I knew what he wanted. Once again, I placed the biscuit in front of Jjanggu. Eunjung leaned against the couch, eyeing the treat as well. She began bouncing slightly as she ran towards the treat. As quick as lightning, I took the treat away.

Jjanggu welcomed the biscuit happily into his mouth. Then like he could read my thoughts his tail started to wag and he jumped up at nothing like he's dancing. I tossed the treat into the air.

The puppy sprang toward it in bounding steps that were almost like jumps. Then it leaped up, pawing with its fore paws. Its wet tongue managed to catch the cookie.

“Let me help you,” My husband offered, already taking the bowl of dog treats away from me.

I nodded absentmindedly as I watched another biscuit being placed in front of Jjanggu. Eunjung immediately made a grab for the biscuit and smiled victoriously as she proudly showcase the biscuit to me. She was about to put it inside when I snatched it away from her.

Eunjung frowned, her eyebrows were slightly creased. She threw her arms on my lap and looked up at me with big eyes. “No, those are not for you.”

The girl proceeded towards her dad and she nuzzled into the crook of his neck. JongIn blinked repeatedly. I stared at him and soon caught his eyes. ‘Don’t fall for it’, I mouthed out the words to him.

He sighed in defeat. “You had your biscuits just now.”

I threw him a smile and ruffled his hair in affection. “You’re good at this,” I complimented.

Noticing her efforts of pleading her parents for another round of snacks were futile, Eunjung chose to walkaway.

“I can’t do this anymore!” He whined.

“You’ll get used to it.”

The sound of a paper bag being crumpled got our attention.

“Eunjung ah, what did I say about McDonalds!”