Unforeseen

Together We Make a Family

My heart was pounding like crazy as I paced back and forth like a caged tiger in the bathroom. I was sweating to the point that hair was sticking to my skin even though the fan was blasting at full speed. My nerves had been getting to me ever since I left the hospital. Everything was practically screaming to me that something was not normal.

The wooziness that kicked in randomly…

The fatigue that I had been feeling over the past few days…

The shortness of breath doing simple things…

It all seemed like I was just out of shape and was just getting sick. It was common stuff that could happen to anyone who was lacking sleep and feeling under the weather.

“Congratulations Mrs Kim. You’re pregnant.”

My jaw nearly dropped to the floor as Cha Eun and I stared awestruck at our professor who did a check-up on me. After telling her the symptoms of what I had been feeling for a few days, she had me answering a few questions before running a couple of tests.

“She’s what?!” Soo Eun pulled out her hair before her eyes ran rapidly between the professor and me.

“I’m … pregnant …?” I repeated slowly as it took a moment for the unexpected news to sink into my mind and process fully. My eyes widened as my hands instinctively shot to my stomach and I dropped down to look. My stomach was still flat as it was still too early to show visible signs but the mere knowledge of having another person growing inside me brought a strange feeling.

My best friend blinked rapidly. “Are you sure Professor Yoo?”

Her question earned her a smack on the forehead by the Professor. “Have you been listening to my lectures Dr Choi?”

She hadn’t meant to repeat the question again, I could tell by the mild shock on her face and by her cheeks which were flushed pink.

“You’re about a few weeks along. I’m surprised you showed symptoms like these so early into the pregnancy.” She commented with a bright smile.  “It would be best to come back again in a few weeks to ensure that the pregnancy is going well.”

I nodded slowly, unable to form coherent words as the professor walked out of the room leaving me alone to process everything while Soo Eun could only gape like a fish and stared at me in shock.

“What are you going to tell your husband?”

What was I going to tell him indeed.

I had no idea how I was going to tell him this at all. I didn’t even know how he was going to react. Was he going to be happy? Was he going to be too shocked to form words? Or was he going to be upset and disappointed? It was hard to find guys who were willing to accept a pregnancy when baby-making was not intentional at all.

“ARGHHHHH!”

I shouted at the top of my lungs in frustration as I paced around faster and faster.

The two of us should be smarter if I wasn’t going to be prepared for this moment. I should have never stopped with the birth control pills. It was more like the heat of the moment and the passion of honeymooning didn’t seem like I was going to get pregnant soon.

To be honest, I was scared.

I was not even out of medical school yet and here I was standing in my own home pregnant with Kai’s child. I wasn’t sure if he was going to be happy. Furthermore, the both of us were super busy with own careers.

Perhaps I was overthinking it all. I could be sure what would happen with Kai. What mattered the most right now was that I was scared but I was also happy and excited about this news.

I placed my hands over my stomach and grinned to myself.

I was pregnant. It was beyond my control now and I could either accept the fact and be happy or utterly reject the idea of having a child. I was going to go with the first possibility. Having a child wouldn’t be so bad.  After all I did love children and I did eventually want to have my own with Kai.

Why not start now?

“Just breathe ----,” I told myself over and over again quietly. “Just take a deep breath and calm down. Everything is going to be okay. He’s not the type of guy that runs from responsibility when unexpected things happen. He’s the type that faces things straight on.”

My little pep talk to myself was helping to calm my nerves. My heart rate was slowly lowering and I could myself breathe normally. That was good. I had remembered in one of my lectures that it wasn’t good for an expecting mother to be under a large amount of stress. It could be harmful to the health of the baby.

“I’m sorry baby. Mommy will calm down for you.” I whispered to my stomach with a small smile.

---

“Jagi? Are you home?”

Kai’s voice rang out into the house as I heard the front door close shortly after calling out my name. Someone must have notified him that I left the hospital early since normally at that time I would still be on-call and he would pick me up later. He was home sooner than expected. Luckily I had enough time to figure out how to break the news to him.

“You can do it!” I muttered to myself as I heard his footsteps coming closer to the bedroom.

I shut the lights in the bathroom and walked out into the bedroom just as Kai pushed open the door. My eyes met his and he immediately walked towards me, feeling me up and down for any injuries as well as checking to make sure my temperature was normal.

“Are you okay?” Kai questioned once he was done with his head to toe inspection. “I got a call from Chanyeol hyung saying that Soo Eun came to take you out of the hospital since the other doctors said that you are in no condition to be working. What’s going on?”

Chanyeol?

Ah, Soo Eun had probably called him up to tell him what happened since both of them had made a promise not to hide anything from each other since they were married. Why can’t she at least keep a secret to herself?!

“I’m okay. Don’t worry. It wasn’t anything to worry over.” I smiled as I took my hands in his. “I was just feeling really fatigued today and I kept experiencing dizzy spells so Soo Eun and my professor insisted I rest.”

“Why didn’t you say something earlier today?” He questioned with a frown on his face. “I wouldn’t have taken you into work today if you had spoken up you weren’t feeling normal. What if you passed out in the middle of your rounds, huh? Then you would have to go to the hospital.”

“I am always at the hospital, oppa.”

“Jagi! I’m being serious!”

“Actually, I sort of went to see my professor…” I said carefully. When I saw his eyes widen and his mouth open to start his fussing, I pressed a finger to his lips to prevent him from speaking. “Not because of the passing out part. Cha Eun wanted to see if I was coming down with anything.”

He reached up, grasping my hand tightly as he raised an eyebrow. “Well? What’s the verdict?”

“It’s good news.” I smiled at him. “I’m not sick.”

Kai sighed in relief and pulled me into a tight hug. I bit down on my lower lip and pulled back slightly. He noticed my hesitation almost immediately and put me back at an arm’s length to stare at me suspiciously. I swallowed hard.

“What are you hiding from me Kim ----?”

“I’m not hiding anything.” I pointed out quietly. “I haven’t told you yet is all.”

“Well?” He urged me to continue. “What is it you haven’t told me? Did your professor said anything else when you went to go for a check-up?”

I nodded taking several deep breaths as I prepared myself to reveal the truth to him. My insides were burning and I felt my heart was stuck in my throat. It was all so nerve wracking. I never thought telling the man I loved with all my heart and soul that I was pregnant with his child would be so difficult and frightening.

Without wasting any time, I grabbed the blue box from the dresser and sat on the edge of the bed. I patted the space beside me as way to tell him to sit down as well.

“For you!” I chirped, handing out the box to him.

He looked intrigued by my sudden exuberance but nevertheless took the box from me. He began shaking the box. Up and down. Left and right. And all around.

Secretly, I prayed the contents of the box wouldn’t break.

Carefully, he untied the ribbon, all the while still looking at me suspiciously.

Finally, he opened the lid of the box. Gingerly, he took out the folded paper and placed it aside. “An egg, jagi? Really?” Kai raised an eyebrow in curiosity.

“It’s an Easter egg.” I giggled. “Crack it open.”

He tapped the egg once then twice. Using his fingers, he cracked it open. Kai beamed, showing his pearly whites. The egg opened to reveal a slip of paper. He placed the shell of the egg on the lid of the box. Slowly, he began to unroll the piece of paper. My heart began to beat wildly in anticipation even though I knew what was written inside.

His eyes traced over the words. He reread the sentence over and over again. I could feel him spelling out and reading each letter to ensure that he did not read wrongly. My husband stared at me, his eyes wide for a while. Kai even rubbed his eyes thinking this couldn’t be for real. He thought that his actions would give him clarification.

I squirmed uncomfortably under his gaze. The silence was killing me. The lack of response made me wonder if he was going to react badly or take this as good news.

“Please say something.” I begged him, grabbing his arm. “Don’t stay silent.”

He only blinked a few times, staring at me in his daze. His lips quivered slightly, moving only slightly but not a single sound escaped from his lips. I could feel my chest squeezing tightly as time passed and all I could do was to shake him gently.

I swallowed the lump forming in my throat and quietly lowered my head. “If you don’t want the baby, oppa, I understand. We’ve just started with our careers and you weren’t expecting me to get pregnant so soon, but things like these happen. It was a surprise for me too.”

I paused halfway through my mini rant and stared at him with sad eyes. He stared back at me and inhaled sharply before exhaling. No words came out just yet and I took it as a sign that I should wrap up this topic before either of us got emotional.

“I don’t want to interfere with our relationship. This is our child here.” I placed one of his hands over my abdomen. “If you don’t want the child, tell me now and I can figure out a plan. We can put our child up for adoption if that’s – “

Kai cupped my face, pressing his lips softly against mine to stop my rant. He moved his lips gently against mine, pulling me into a loving embrace. I blinked a few times, breathing slightly uneven as I looked at him.

He smiled and brushed his thumbs over my cheeks.

“Don’t be foolish, jagi. I’m happy. Ecstatic actually. No words can express how I feel right now.” He beamed as he looked down at my stomach. “I’m going to be a dad. We’re going to be parents.”

“So you want this baby.”

“Of course.” He leaned down and kissed me again. “This is our child. I can’t believe you thought that I was going to react badly. I’ll accept this child with all of my heart and soul. I will love him or her as much as I love you.”

I beamed, wrapping my arms around his waist as he held me close to him.

“I’m glad.”

He my hair, pressing a kiss to the top of my head. My grip tightened around him and I buried my face into the crook of his neck, taking in his familiar scent. All the stress seemed to have melted away. And I was finally at peace with myself. All the worries were gone finally having known that Kai was as accepting of the child.

“Oppa, you still have yet to read the letter though.” I loosened my grip around him. I motioned to the folded paper on the lid of the box.

“Must I read it?” He pouted, his bottom lip jutting out slightly.

I nodded and smiled. “Read it aloud so baby can hear too.”

He rolled his eyes and puffed out his cheeks.

 

“Dear Daddy Kim,

I would like to announce my impending long-term stay in your residence. Although my anticipated arrival is at the end of the year, my actual arrival may be unannounced, so please get ready for my visit ahead of time by preparing a comfy home with all the amenities including bottles, nappies, plush toys and blankets. I look forward to being delivered on the expected date.

Please take extra special care of mummy. Do whatever she says and never leave her hungry. When she’s hungry, I’m hungry.

It’s cosy in mummy’s tummy but keep petting it and talking to me every day. I like hearing daddy’s voice.

Yours truly,

Baby Kim.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello again! A long chapter since I've not been updating recently ^^ My apologies, I wasn't in the mood XD Still, I hope you enjoyed it !