Chicken

Together We Make a Family

Eunjung pressed her face onto the glass. “What’s that?”

His eyes traced over the maroon vehicle. “That? It’s a truck.”

“What’s that?” She pointed to another car.

Her father squinted his eyes. “That’s an SUV.”

She nodded her head slightly, as if she understands what he was saying. “What’s that?”

“That … a sedan.”

“What’s that?” Her eyes followed the moving phenomenon.

Kai tapped his fingers on the smooth surface. “That’s a courier truck.”

Her gaze lifted from the truck to a bright green object. “What’s that?”

“A bus … I mean shuttle bus,” He corrected himself.

“B-bus.” She muttered to herself softly.

He stared at the bus till it drove ahead and out of his view. “It’s gone.”

Eunjung’s eyes widened at him and she cocked her head slightly. “Boom?”

Kai blinked once and a lazy grin filled his face. “Yeah, boom.”

He picked up Eunjung in his arms before placing her on the high chair. He propped his chin on his hands and smiled when he saw her tracing the number written on the table. “We’re going to eat spicy grilled chicken today.”

“Who wants spicy grilled chicken?”

“Me!” The toddler raised a hand and bounced up and down on her high chair.

“Good!” He laughed in reply to her exuberance.

“What’s this?” she pointed to the sticker on the table.

Her father averted his gaze from his daughter to the sticker. “That? Number 3.”

“What’s that?” Eunjung asked again. She whipped her head causing her hazelnut hair to dance around, her finger pointing at the table across from where they were seating.

“Number 4.”

Her gaze turned downwards. “What’s that?”

“Number 3.” He replied as he ruffled her hair.

“This!” She chirped again and pointed to her eyes.

“Eyes,” Kai’s finger trailed from his eyes to the bridge of his nose, “Nose.” Finally stopping at the curve between the upper lip and bottom lip. “Mouth.”

Her legs kicked the air as she copied her father’s actions perfectly.

“Where are your eyes?”

She took a moment to roll the question around her mind and she pondered his question a bit. “Eunjung, where are your eyes?” Slowly, her pointer finger travelled to her nose before shoving the finger inside.

“Here!” She laughed aloud.

“That, Eunjung,” He snorted.

“Yes?” The girl managed to answer her father in between her giggles.

He tapped his nose lightly demonstrating to her, “That’s your nose.”

She pressed her lips together and followed his actions. “Mouth, nose!”

The toddler dragged her finger till it reached a large expanse of skin on her head. “That’s your forehead.” She heard her father say.

“Eunjung ah, let’s have a delicious dinner.” He added.

“Food!” She began to bounce up and down on her bottom, her eyes wide and mouth partly open. The rich aroma of the dish wafted down and beckoned her.

“Okay, I’ll give it to you. “

Eunjung sat on the high chair; head slumped onto her hands watching the people around her already eating their food. She stared eagerly at the table in front of her which was laden with delicacies. By the time she was done observing each dish, she felt that she could taste it in . Her stomach growled noisily and she had to swallow back a pool of saliva.

When the first spoon went to Kai’s mouth, Eunjung had a slightly crestfallen look. The toddler slumped right back down again; it was just a ruse to get his attention. Why is it so hard for daddy to understand?! Then she started her celebratory bounce again once the spoon went inside .

After for waiting what seemed like hours (even though it was only a few minutes), Kai spooned out a dollop of the colourless liquid into . “It’s kimchi radish soup.”

She swallowed the soup then blinked twice. Eunjung stretched out her hands, trying to reach the bowl. “No,no,no. You have to wait.” The girl flailed her limbs and she watched as the spoon entered his mouth.

“Daddy!” She cried out in protest.

Kai tried to stifle a laugh as he continued to drink the soup. “Okay, I will give you some.”

He spooned the liquid and Eunjung welcomed it into happily. Her eyes widened as the foreign taste enveloped her taste buds once again. She her lips and grinned at her father. “Is it good?” Her eyes lit up and she nodded furiously.

“Why have your eyes gotten so big?” He asked and laughed silently.

She pointed towards the spoon and questioned. “What’s this?”

“Radish water kimchi.”

The spoon was greeted by Eunjung’s mouth once again until the content of the bowl was empty. The server, dressed in white with a maroon apron tied at the waist moved wordlessly to their table holding a large plate of chicken.

“Wah!” She exclaimed. Eunjung clapped her hand in anticipation. Her lips smacked in delight. “This,this,this.” She pointed at the chicken in glee.

“Wait,wait.” Kai sighed softly as he spoke. Exactly like his wife.

Eunjung couldn’t wait anymore. She reached forwards to grab the chicken from the plate. Kai was busy cutting up the meat into bite-sized pieces for his daughter. “Daddy, I want!!!”

He grinned at her. “Do you want rice cakes too?”

“Rice cakes!” She chirped and swung her legs under the table.

Kai held a white bowl in front of the toddler. There were a few pieces of chicken with a hint of gravy. She felt no need for pretentious manners and grabbed the slice, ripping the chunk off with her teeth. The chicken felt slightly rough but nonetheless the meat tasted immensely satisfying. The warm mixture was definitely a pure ambrosia in .

She her fingers, smeared with the gravy and oil. She crunched another handful of chicken before popping a large chunk of the meat into her tiny mouth. Her overstuffed mouth did not hinder her from stuffing more chicken.

“I’m sure Uncle Jinki will be proud of us, huh?”

Eunjung blocked out all the other noises in the background. She didn’t even hear her father talking to her. All that mattered right now was the chicken and herself.

Life is good when there is chicken – Kim Eunjung