Not Alone

Together We Make a Family

Sitting at my desk for hours on end wasn’t my favourite thing to do on a Friday night, however, I knew that if I wanted to keep the scholarship that I had been working so hard for, I needed to devote all of my time to my studies. I rubbed my stomach slightly. It also didn’t help that I was carrying my first child. With a few one-minute breaks here and there, I trying as hard as I could to remember all of the information that the professors and lecturers had pushed on me. Flipping through chapter after chapter, reading all of the complicated words and memorizing their meanings as well as all of the study questions and answers, I raked my fingers through my hair in frustration.

I massaged my throbbing temples as I glanced at another page. The words seemed to blur.  I blinked rapidly and pressed my forehead onto the page, as if that could imprint it in my memory. I groaned and glanced at the clock, 3.36am. I leaned back in my chair and glanced at the ceiling before forcing my gaze back down to the table. I stifled a yawn and rubbed my bleary eyes. My thoughts became groggy and incoherent.

I flipped open my notebook to a blank page and stared at the blue line that ran across the pages.

I paused when I felt a strange sensation coming from my stomach. I moved my hand to my stomach as I felt the sensation again. Moving my hand over the place where the sensation was, I waited a moment more before my baby kicked against my stomach.

My mouth curled instantly into a smile as I held both of my hands over the spot that my baby kicked my stomach.

"Hello to you too baby," You smiled and moved your hands over your stomach affectionately. “I know that you’re trying to make me feel happier but it’s not really helping.”

Slowly, slowly, I ran my pen around the circle.

Around and around. It got darker and darker. Messier and messier until the whole page was filled with scribbles.

As I moved my hand, my mind drifted off. I worried about the assignments I had to do and how near the exams were. I started to think of whether I would able to even survive the semester.

How am I going to graduate from medical school?

Is it even possible?

What am I going to say to my parents?

A soft sigh left my lips.

“Jagi,” Kai’s voice called out from behind me.

Without me noticing, he’d approached me and taken a seat beside me.

“What are you doing?” he asked, his eyes drawn over to the black scribbles I had filled in.

I mumbled back, “Studying.”

Kai’s eyes flicked from the notebook to me and back to the notebook again. “You should be sleeping.”

“Mm,” I looked at the notebook with hateful eyes.

“You have to study all of these?” Kai pointed to the piles of medical textbooks that were stacked high up on my table.

I nodded weakly before getting up to retrieve a thick book from the pile. “You have to take care of your health. Jagi, you’re carrying someone else too.”

His teasing tone dropped and his signature smirk shifted to worry, “Are you okay? You can talk to me about anything, jagi.”

Kai’s was mentioning about the event that happened quite recently. I tried to look at anything but his face. The burning sensation in his eyes was killing me. He’d surely make me cry and break without even forcing it. If anyone knew this face of Kai, I was sure that they wouldn’t be able to recognize him. Yet here he was, right in front of me, with his brow furrowed and his lips pressed into a thin line. He looked so upset on my behalf. And he didn’t even know what was upsetting me.

I was going to cry.

He removed the pen from my tight grasp and clasped one of my hands in his, “I’m right here.”

I shook my head. I couldn’t. I adored him. I couldn’t bring yourself to throw your burdens on his shoulders. They were mine to bear.

"I can’t." I whispered. My eyes were burning with unshed tears; I could hear it in my voice as I spoke.

"You don’t have to tell me anything you don’t want to." he sighed softly, "Even if you want to just cry, you can come to me. I’ll wipe them all up for you."

My hands clenched into fists as his words continued to urge my tears to fall.

"I would feel better if you came to me," he added, "It feels like I can’t be relied on when you keep everything to yourself."

"No!" I gasped, "I just don’t want to trouble you…"

In just seconds his arms enveloped me.

"You’re not a trouble at all, jagi." he reassured me, "So rely on me."

My hands unclenched from theirs fists and wrapped around Kai in return. I grabbed a handful of the back of his shirt and pressed my face into his shoulder. In mere seconds tears slid down my cheeks and melted into Kai’s shirt.

He rubbed my back with one hand, the other raked slowly through my hair. He kept a tight grip on my.

Like a never ending waterfall, I finally confessed what I had been keeping to myself those past few months.

“Oppa, I’m so sorry for disappointing you.”

“I don’t think I will become a doctor.”

“I’m a failure.”

I felt Kai’s tears on my skin.

He was crying with me.

Was it tears of happiness? Or tears grief?

I didn’t know for sure.

But what I know was that he was there for me in the bad and good times. Like what a husband should.

 

 

 

 

“Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.” 
― Kurt VonnegutTimequake

 

 

 

 

………………………………………………………………………….

This chapter was not edited too... Hehehehe ^^

Hello guys! I hoped that you enjoyed the chapter :D I am having troubles on how to continue A Brother’s Love but I’ll try to update that as soon as possible. I might be a bit slow on updating as I’m currently working :P Many thanks to those who have been with me when I first started and to those of you started a bit later ->*BIG HUGSS* (WELCOME TO THE KAI LOVERS FAMILYY)

To those who commented: Xualyxdoris, 909396 , ienxxxx and Kaigirl123 THANK YOU SO MUCH!

By the way,  Kaigirl123 , your comment is adorable! I look forward to reading your cute comments :D

See you soon!