Rain

Together We Make a Family

 “Eunjung ah, how was your day with grandma today?” Kai asked his daughter.

Her eyes brightened and she babbled non-stop about what she did with her grandma that day. She started to tell her father about the cookies they made and the stories her grandma told her. She babbled about the lunch which she ate and the park which her grandma took her to play.

It began as a whispering in the air. The day had been beautiful and the sky was like a dome of plasma-blue. The clouds had looked like airy anvils drifting under the gleaming disc of a sun.

Up to now, the sky had been postcard-perfect but it was changing. The beautiful cocktail blue shade was beginning to darken into gravel-grey. Large pillows of cloud were forming, blotting out the old-gold colour of the sun.

Droplets of moisture began to drip from the leaves. They were sprinkling into the grass like a gardener’s hose. The then the rain became more intense. A tinkling sound came to their ears as the first pearls of rain dropped onto the leaves. The sound was like the glassy clinking of a champagne flute, lifting and clear.

“Oh, it’s raining,” Kai muttered to himself.

All his plans to spend time with Eunjung outside on a supposedly fine spring day were disrupted. He sighed in disappointment. He thought hard about what activities the father daughter pair should do later when they got home. According to his wife, he should include as many activities as possible so that it would leave no room for her pretty little mind to think about her mother who was overseas for a conference.

Then she slowed down. Kai noticed the pinks on her cheeks. She looked extremely excited. And knowing that she was able to spend time with her father at the end of the day made her happy as well.

“Appa!” She squealed and pointed to the droplets of rain on the window of the car. “Rain!”

He glanced at her in the rear view mirror. “Good job, Eunjung. It is rain.”

Instantly, his thoughts wandered to the song his wife always sing whenever it rained.

Rain rain go away, come again another day.
Rain rain go away, come again another day.

Woke up this morning,
To a brand new day.
Nothing's gonna stop me or get in my way.
Rain hail or shine,
I'm ready for it all.
I'm feeling right on top,
(feeling right on top),
And I'm never gonna fall.

Rain rain go away, come again another day.
Let the sun shine in.
Rain rain go away, come again another day.
Let the sun, let the sun shine in.
Rain rain go away, come again another day.
Let the sun shine in.(chorus)

Yesterday was gloomy,
Left me feeling blue.
Better times were coming,
Now the sun is shining through.
Now that the clouds have moved on by,
I can see clearly,(I can see clearly),
Nothing's gonna change my mind.

Let the sun shine, let the sun shine in.
Let the sun shine, let the sun shine in.

Rain rain go away, come again another day.
Rain rain go away, come again another day.
Rain rain go away, come again another day.
Let the sun shine in.
Rain rain go away, come again another day.

It was hard not to think of her when he recalled the song.  “We’re here!” he announced.

“Rain,rain,rain,” Eunjung kept mumbling to herself as she continued to stare at the pearls of rain that filled the window’s glass.

She was trying her hardest to wiggle herself out of her car seat as he parked outside the house. He looked behind to and saw the pure concentration on her face as she flailed her legs out and tried to un-clip the seat belt.

“Eunjung, just wait, I’ll let you out in a second,” He laughed and opened the door to get out.

Kai heard a tapping on the window and then it became a pitter-patter. People ran for cover outside and umbrellas were opened as the clouds spat out beads of water. Puddles began plingking as the rainfall became heavier. The roofs of the cars danced with spray and he could hear the murmuring of the rain through the window. It sounded like the buzzing of angry bees.

“Nooo-nooo!” She whined, crossed her arms, pouted and looked away from him. He smiled at Eunjung’s expression and opened the back seat door. He used an umbrella as a cover from the rain. Kai knelt down, unclipped her and hoisted Eunjung on his right hip. She batted her arms wildly and he moved his head out of the way.

“Nooo-nooo!” She screamed and pointed to the rain again.

Kai tilted his head and scanned his daughter’s face. A grin crept to his lips. “Do you want to play in the rain?”

She nodded enthusiastically and patted his cheek. “No, you’ll get sick. Omma will scold appa. You don’t want appa to get scolded, do you?”

Eunjung squirmed uncontrollably in his arms, her face contorted in frustration. Due to Eunjung’s never ending squirming, Kai accidentally loosened his grip and Eunjung managed to get out of her father’s grip.

There was something about the way she smiled; the way butterflies seemed to escape from the pit of her stomach and the way the sun had somehow toppled down from the sky and made a home right there in her heart. She had the kind of smile that made you feel happy to be alive and just that little bit more human. However, he wouldn’t want his daughter to fall ill especially when his wife was about to come home in a few more days.

“Kim Eunjung, come back here!” He dropped the umbrella and ran after her.

The said girl waddled away from him and jumped into a puddle. Her father stared at her in horror.

“Eunjung ah, stop!” he frantically yelled at the top of his lungs feeling himself getting tired from running. “Kim Eunjung, don’t do this to me!”

“Rain, rain, rain!” She yelled, clapping her hands with a huge grin on her face, running in circles.

He let out a chuckle seeing Eunjung so happy. As quick as lightning, he dashed up to the girl and pulled her into his arms. Then he twirled her around. The raindrops looked like a thousand diamonds falling from the sky. It was not every day that you get to play in the rain with your child. Finally, Kai decided.

When they finally stopped, they were soaked and chilled to the bone. 

He had a lot of answering to do when his wife gets back.

Good luck to you, Kim JongIn, he thought to himself.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

----------------------------------SURPRISE UPDATE :D

I was inspired by the heavy rain from yesterday... Hello and thank you to the old and new subscribers. It's good to see you guys after a while ^^