Friends

The Starlight House
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 35: Friends

 

She is beautiful..

 

Taekwoon looked at Sukyeon who came out with her simple but sweet outfit. There was the time they stared to each other, but then Sukyeon moved her stare to Jaehwan and smiled.

Ah, yeah.. She prepared her appearance for Jaehwan, not me.

And when they were standing next to each other, Taekwoon felt insecure again..

Yeah, they look great together.. He even couldn’t deny that fact. He envied of Jaehwan.

 

And when Taekwoon was sending them out, he realized that Jaehwan also prepared a car. He was impressed by how detailed Jaehwan prepared for the date.

Jaehwan is a good man.. I'm nothing next to him..

 

After sending them out, Taekwoon felt a bit sad. He was jealous and insecure. He always envied Jaehwan's easygoing character.

Even if I have given the chance, I don't think I can do as well as Jaehwan. I know he'll treat Sukyeon the best.

 

Taekwoon was envying Jaehwan moves to Sukyeon, but he also felt that no one can treat Sukyeon better than Jaehwan. Even if he has been asked to choose Hyuk or Jaehwan for Sukyeon, he would choose Jaehwan. So, looking at their growing relationship, Taekwoon felt hurt but relieved.

 

But he couldn’t help to be curious of what happen in their date. Where are they going? What they do now? Are they holding hands? Those questions were flying in his head. He even looked at his watch often to check what time left for their date.

 

Taekwoon even deliberately made a latte and drank it in the dining room in 08:25 p.m. to wait for them. Then Hakyeon and Hyuk joined him in the dining room.

"Do you think noona will accept Hwan hyung's love, Hyung?" He asked Hakyeon.

"Don't talk about that.. It's Sukyeon decision.. We don't have any right to--"

"But what if she accepts him, Hyung?" Hyuk cut Hakyeon words.

"Yaaa.." Hakyeon hit his little brother with a spoon. "I say don't talk about it.."

"Aaack.." Hyuk massaged his head while saying "But I'm pretty much concern about it.. It feels wrong no matter she accepts or rejects him.. If she accepts it, I think it will be no good if we have to see their lovey dovey every day.. But if she rejects him, then.. Will everything be normal? I bet they will be a bit awkward towards each other.."

Taekwoon slurped his latte as he listened to what Hyuk saying.

Yeah, he's right.. In the deepest of my heart, I want Sukyeon to reject Jaehwan's feeling.. But I don't want them to get afar from each other..

"Let's just wait Sukyeon's decision.. Anyway, it's already 08.40 why are they not coming yet?" Hakyeon's question woke Taekwoon up from his self-thought.

 

And finally. 08:46 p.m, they came back.

Sukyeon was the one who open the door, she went inside the house and welcomed by Hyuk.

"Welcome home noonaaa" Hyuk was welcoming her with a cheerful tone.

But Sukyeon only nodded, (forced) smile, then went upstairs.

The three pairs of eyes on Sukyeon then moved to someone who just went inside the house.

Jaehwan greeted them, "Anyeong.."

Jaehwan tried his best to look normal, but everyone knew that he looked sad.

"Hyung we come on time right?" Jaehwan's question woke Hakyeon up.

"Oh? Yeah.. Yeah, Hwan ah.." Hakyeon stuttered.

"Then, I'll go upstairs.." Jaehwan excused to go upstairs and left the three people in silent.

Until Hyuk said, "Seems.. We know the result, uhm?" Hyuk said that as he massaging his temple.

Hakyeon heaved a sigh.

And Taekwoon was worrying Jaehwan.

Are you okay, Hwan ah?

 

-00-

 

Taekwoon tried not to involve in Jaehwan - Sukyeon 'relationship', so he didn’t ask Jaehwan about what happened. He tried to make him busy with doing his work, but sometimes he stole a glance to look at what Jaehwan doing, how was he, did he look sad, and etc.

But after showering, Jaehwan directly went to the bed and sleep, leaving Taekwoon with his own assumptions about what just happened in their date.

Because he couldn’t concentrate in doing his work, Taekwoon shut down his laptop and lied next to Jaehwan, tried to sleep. But he couldn’t sleep. Moreover when he felt something..

Jaehwan was not sleeping yet.

Taekwoon knew for sure that Jaehwan will move carelessly if he was in the deep sleep. But this time, Jaehwan was freeze. He put his back on Taekwoon and curled.

Taekwoon got up and sat on the bed looking at his younger brother.

His face is frowned a bit and...

Is that a tear?

Taekwoon's heart was dropping. It was really sad to see someone who you think like your own brother shed a tear like that. He really wanted to console him, but Taekwoon knew he was not in the right position to console him because his personal feeling to Sukyeon.

Taekwoon couldn’t stand to look at the sad Jaehwan anymore, so he went to the rooftop.

 

But, at the rooftop he met the other one...

Sukyeon was sitting on the bench and looking at the stars far away.

Taekwoon walked closer to her. "Not sleeping yet?" He asked while sitting on the bench next to her.

"Oh... Taekwoon ssi.." She said as she turned her head to look at him.

"Can't sleep, uhm?" He asked again.

Sukyeon nodded.

Taekwoon didn’t know what he should do next. Should I ask her why? Or should I talking about other things? Ah, what should I do?

While Taekwoon was struggling to create a conversation, Sukyeon softly asked, "Taekwoon ssi.. Mmm... Is Jaehwan okay?"

"Uhm?" Taekwoon was surprised to hear her question.

"Aah.. Nonono.. Forget it.." Sukyeon regretted her question.

"What just happened?" Taekwoon braved himself to ask.

Sukyeon didn’t answer his question. Meanwhile she heaved a sigh and looks so sad.

There was only silence between them, until slowly Sukyeon said, "I'm screwed it up.. I'm screwed it up, Taekwoon ssi.. I'm screwed it up.."

Taekwoon really wanted to pull her in his embrace but he knew he shouldn't do that. So he could only accompany her in silent.

Don't blame yourself too much, Yeon ah...

 

-00-

 

In the morning, as usual they had breakfast together.

Jaehwan greeted them with his loud good morning as usual, but this time in a different note.

Sukyeon was the last one who come to the dining room. She avoided any eyes contact with all of the members. When she was just sitting on her seat, Hongbin shot her with a question.

"Noona, what's your answer, Uhm?" Hongbin asked excitedly.

Meanwhile the others were freeze. Hyuk even kicked Hongbin's leg below the table.

"Ouch! Who kicks my leg?" Hongbin shouted.

Hyuk gave him eyes contact to shut up, but seems he didn’t understand.

"What? What's going on?" Hongbin asked in confusion.

But no one braved enough to answer his question. Both of Jaehwan and Sukyeon looked down.

But then Sukyeon got up, "I'll go first.."

Hakyeon held her wrist, "Yeon ah.. Just eat first.."

Sukyeon took her brother hand away and said, "Don't worry I'll get a sandwich on my way.."

Then she excused to go, leaving the house in silent.

There was no sound at all, everyone was in silent, until Jaehwan said, "Sukyeon didn't say anything, Hongbin ah.. But I guess I know her feeling.. We're just friends.."

Taekwoon was amazed at how Jaehwan explained it with still laughing, he knew that Jaehwan tried really hard to not look sad.

All of the members' faces changed to be sad. They didn’t know how to respond Jaehwan explanation. So, the rest of the breakfast was only in silence.

 

-00-

 

Sukyeon was sitting alone inside the class, zoning out. One by one the class were filled by the students, including Youngji.

"Yeon ah.. What happened?" Youngji knew something happened to her best friend.

"I'm screwed it up, Youngji ah.." Sukyeon answered nearly crying. "I'm screwed it up..." Youngji pulled her to her hug and then Sukyeon could cry freely.

"Why? Tell me.. " Youngji said as she patted Sukyeon's back.

Sukyeon loosened her hug and wiped her tears. "I thought I have done my best.. But the truth is.. I can't lie to him, Ji ah.. I can't lie to myself.."

"It's okay.. Maybe that's the best for both of you.."

"But now I don't know what should I do? I don't think I can face him anymore, Ji ah.."

"Hey.. Don't say that.. You said you don't wanna lose him, so why you're the one who leave him?"

"Because when I see his face I feel guilty.. Just like this morning.. I can't see his face, I can't see the others face.. I don't know Ji ah."

"Well, let's talk later okay, I'm afraid Jaehwan will see you like this.. And it's not good.. I don't want him to be sadder.."

Sukyeon nodded.

"Oh my lovely Cha Sukyeon.. " Youngji once again pulled her to her embrace.

 

-00-

 

At the break time Youngji took Sukyeon to have a talk in the park.

"So, do you officially rejected him?" Youngji asked Sukyeon now with more relax.

"No... I avoided his kiss.. " Sukyeon answered softly.

"What?? How? I mean.. That's not your first kiss.. So you shouldn't be scared.."

"I don't know.. I didn't even realize it.."

"Woah... " Youngji heaved a sigh.

"I really wanted to accept his feeling, but seems.. My subconscious didn't want that.."

"Mmm.. Sukyeon ah.. You rejected him because you only think him as your friend, right? Not because you like someone else?"

"Why are you asking that again?"

"No.. It's just..  Previously, I had a thought that you love Jaehwan since the beginning.. But lately, I doubt that thought.."

"Why?"

"Just ask yourself.. Is there any certain guy who takes your attention lately?"

Certain guy?

Who takes my attention?

Sukyeon asked herself, and surprisingly she got the answer. "Oh My God, No..." She mumbled that word while shaking her head. "No.. No.. No.."

"Aaah.. So that's true..." Youngji nodded. "You'll make it more complicated Yeon ah..."

Sukyeon drown her face on her knees.

Please, don’t...

 

-00-

 

When the class was over, usually Jaehwan and Sukyeon went home together. But this day..

Sukyeon still couldn’t see Jaehwan face. So, when Jaehwan approached her, she ranaway. Jaehwan looked so confused and sad. So, Youngji has to take over. "Hwan ah.. I'm apologiz

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter