New Year Challenge

The Starlight House
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 19: New Year Challenge

 

Anyeonghaseyo.. 2015..

As usual in first month of the year, the weather got colder, the snow got thicker, but it didn’t make everyone being lazy or what, because there was something challenging in this first month of the year.

 

Musical Theatre Department of Chung Ang University

Proudly hold an annual spring musical theatre

Jekyll & Hyde

For 1st and 2nd year students, let's challenge your talent with joining this musical theatre.

Audition: Friday, 9th 2015. 10:00 a.m in mini hall.

 

Sukyeon and Youngji were reading that poster.

"Woah.. Let's try it, Ji ah!" Sukyeon excited.

"Hum? Well.. I'm not that interested.." Youngji answered.

"Whhyyy?"

"Don't you think it's rather difficult? Jekyll n Hyde?" Youngji asked.

"Mmm.. Yeah.. Itu will be hard for the one who plays Jekyll n Hyde.. But what do you expect? We’re playing Cinderella? Please Ji~"

"No.. But I think it's still too difficult.. And I already know who will play Emma.."

"Me? Me? Me?" Sukyeon asked excitedly.

"Heol.. No.. That girl!" Youngji pointed on a girl. A girl who has a small face, dazzling eyes, pointed nose, pretty lips, long black shiny hair, milky white skin, and guitar curve body.

"Irene unnie?"

"Hu um.. She's the hottie in our Dept right? Her prettiness can smash out another contestant.."

Sukyeon eyed Youngji. "You are exaggerating Youngji ah.."

"Look, every time she’s on the way, guys are looking at her.. Most of the girls are jealous of her, moreover in her class.. But yeah, I can’t blame them.. Because you know most of the guys in her class are her crazy fan boys.."

Then Sukyeon thought in her mind. Well, she's in the same class with Taekwoon ssi.. That means? Heol..

“And I think Emma’s character is really fit her, the pretty daughter of Hospital’s Board, Jekyll’s fiancée.. She’s just like that in her real life.. Even her surname is Bae..” Youngji continued.

"Urgh.. Whatever.. I'll try to take Emma's role.."

"Why don’t you take Lucy instead? "

“Lucy? Mmm. She’s a bar lady..” Sukyeon said as she frown.

“Don’t you think it’s more challenging?” Youngji asked.

“Do you want to see me with a y concept, huh?”

“Yeah.. It’s a trend in a girl group Yeon ah...” Youngji laughed.

And they both kept making arguments while walking through the corridor.

 

-00-

 

In front of the TV room, Sukyeon was chatting with Jaehwan.

"Hwan ah, have you read the Musical poster?"

Jaehwan nodded. "Will you join it?"

"Of course.. What about you?"

"Yeah, me too.. I really want to play Jekyll n Hyde.. It's really challenging to play two characters in one body..."

"Yeah.. So let's go the audition together okay?"

Jaehwan nodded excitedly.

“Well... Is Taekwoon ssi also joining?” Sukyeon asked softly.

“Taekwoon hyung? Mmm. I don’t know.. He’s not answered when I ask him..” Jaehwan shrugged.

Sukyeon sighed. It’s already 2015, but he is still the same Taekwoon ssi.

 

-00-

 

Jaehwan and Sukyeon spent time together to discuss about Jekyll & Hyde characters. They also practice their performance for the audition. And yeah, the audition day has come. Sukyeon and Jaehwan were going to the mini hall together.

Right after they reached the mini hall, they were shocked. There were already so many people there.

"WOW!" Jaehwan muttered.

"I don't expect there are so many contestants.." Sukyeon also couldn’t believe what she saw.

Then they walked down the hall, and found Youngji.

"Yaaa! You say you don't wanna join?" Sukyeon asked as she sat next to her.

"Yes, I am.. I came here only to support you both.."

"Heee? So not all of the people here join the audition?" Jaehwan asked.

Youngji nodded.

Fyuuh ~

Both Jaehwan and Sukyeon were relieved.

 

Then, a tall, skinny guy with a curly hair, a huge eye bags and dark lips was going to the stage.

He checked the microphone. "Test, test, 123.. Okay, before we start the audition, people who don't join the audition please move to the seats on the back.. And the contestants move to the front seat.”

So many people moved to the back, meanwhile only 1/3 that moved to the front. Jaehwan and Sukyeon moved to the front while smiling to each other. They felt more relieve that only a few people join the audition.

“Woah... Seems people coming here only to watch the audition, huh?” That guy asked, and it made people laugh.

“Well.. It’s okay.. It’s still so many contestants in front.. First, let me introduce myself.. My name is Lee Minki, I’m a 3rd year students, who’s in charge as a director in this musical drama..”

The audiences were clapping him.

“Thank you..” He stopped the audience and continued, “Have you got the number?” He asked the contestants and they said yes.

“So, you will get here to the stage based on your number.. You have maximum 7 minutes to perform, and the judges will give a respond, if any.. And if necessary, you will be asked to perform something by request from the judges. So just do improvisation, okay?”

The contestants were in whisper to each other, worrying about what will happen in the audition.

“Well, let me introduce you to the judges.. Please come here..” He asked other judges to come to the stage. Another three judges were coming to the stage and standing in a row.

“The small girl besides me is Jung Eunji, she’s my lovely co-director..” Minki was introducing the girl with a boyish looks next to her, meanwhile the girl was throwing a smirk to him. Everyone was clapping.

“And this girl is Yoon Gayoon..” Minki misspelled her surname and made her to correct him with saying Heo Gayoon. “Aaah.. I’m sorry.. I always thought her surname is Yoon.. It’s your husband’s surname, isn’t it?”

Gayoon blushed and it made everyone laugh.

 

Jaehwan even said to Sukyeon who sat next to him. “The director is funny, right?”

“Yeah, indeed, he’s making fun of Gayoon unnie in front of the audience.”

 

“Okay, Gayoon is the script writer here..” Everyone gave claps again.

“And the handsome guy next to her, is Cho Kyuhyun.. He’s in charge in the musical performance, singing and etc..” The girls were excitedly clapping, and it makes him asked, “Yaaa, why you’re not clapping this loud when I came to the stage?”

Everyone laughed to hear that.

“He’s definitely a jokester..” Jaehwan whispered.

“Okay, let’s not wasting time.. The audience please keeps quiet.. No comment, no clap, seal your mouth! If you break the rules, just get out!” He ended it and went to his seat, leaving the hall in silent

“Well, he’s not that jokester, Hwan ah.. “ Sukyeon whispered.

 

“Number 1 please gets to the stage!” He called the contestant number 1.

Meanwhile, Sukyeon was still waiting for a bit long. She was number 44 and Jaehwan was number 43.

Every contestant showed their capability in acting and singing. Some of them got a good responds and some of them got a harsh responds. Some of them also wre asked to try to act a drama scene or sing another song.

Sukyeon and Jaehwan were waiting in nervous.

“Number 22!” Minki called, not long before a girl walked to the stage.

 

“Anyeonghaseyo, I’m Irene Bae.. 2nd year student” She was introducing herself in a sparkling black long-sleeve dress, and it made her look more beautiful. No wonder, the guy audiences made a noise supporting sound on the back.

“Audience please gets quiet!” Minki reminded them and continued, “Okay Bae Juhyeon, what scene do you want to perform?” Minki asked.

“When Emma begs Jekyll to confide in her..” Irene answered softly but firm.

“Okay, please.” Minki signed her to starts.

First, she looked down and gloomy. She walked in front and then said, “That’s okay Jekyll.. I can understand..” She acted like reaching someone’s back and made him turn. “I understand that this project is really mean to you.. This research is your passion..” She was saying passion word in a beautiful powerful way and then continues, “I’m not gonna interrupt.. Just let me by your side.. Let me be the place you can lean on..” She then acted like caressing someone’s cheek and said. “I will give you all of me...”

She then started to sing #np: John Legend – All of me

Cause all of me, loves all of you

She then stepped backwards a little and made a hand movements like giving her heart to someone.

Love your curves and all your edges

All your perfect imperfections

 

Give your all to me. I'll give my all to you

She turned to the left and to the right feeling the song

You're my end and my beginning

Even when I lose I'm winning

And then she was standing in the middle

Cause I give you all of me

And you give me all of you, oh...

She acted like making someone lean on her shoulder.

 

The guy audiences were clapping so loud on her performance.

 

Wow.. She’s not only pretty.. She’s also great! Sukyeon talked in her mind.

“Yaaa! I have told you to keep silent!!!” Minki yelled to the audience.

It made them stop, leaving the hall in silent.

Then, Kyuhyun responded breaks the ice, “Irene ssi.. You have a good vocal, but it will be better if you use more power to bring more feeling..”

Irene nodded.

“You get the Emma’s character really well, Irene.. But, I feel that you’re a bit cocky for Emma.. Emma is a pure heart.. I don’t see it on you.. Ehm, your performance, I mean..” Eunji gave comment.

Gayoon gave no comment and Minki let her to go down the stage.

 

“Number 23!”

And then, the tall guy comes to the stage.

Sukyeon and Jaehwan were surprised. “Taekwoon ssi?” “Hyung?”

He was standing there with his black shirt and making an introduction. “Anyeonghaseyo, I’m Jung Taekwoon.. 2nd year student”

“Okay, what scene will you perform?” Minki asked.

“When Jekyll is tired of being Hyde..”

Minki let him to starts.

Taekwoon turned his back on the audience to make his appearance a bit messier. Then he acted like an ill person, he was holding his chest and walk staggered. He then fell down and sat on the stage. He acted like reaching a bottle and then drinks it up. His body then shivered and then he screamed, “GO AWAY FROM ME!” He was still shivering for a couple of seconds then he was calmer and then he sobbed, “Why don’t you go away from me?? I wanted to separate evil and good, but you’re too controlling me!

He then got up with so much difficulty and starts to sing #np VIXX – Error ballad version.

Nareul nochigi sirheo (I don’t want to let go of myself)
Nareul deo mangchigi sirheo (I don’t want to ruin myself anymore)
Kkeutnado kkeutnaji annneun gieoge (Memories that aren’t ending even when it’s over)
Igil jasini nan eobseo (I have no confidence to win over it)

He then stopped. His powerful voice was still echoing in the hall.. He then gasped for a couple of seconds and screamed,

Deo pihal gosi eobseo neoreul (There’s nowhere to run from you)

He then acted like taking a knife and stabbing himself.

Slowly, he got down on his knees and fell on the floor.


“WOOAAAH.. As expected from the son of the pro.. “ Minki gave comment as Taekwoon ended his performance and got up.

Sukyeon and Jaehwan were in awe, they were both looking at Taekwoon on the stage in a freeze mode.

“Yeah.. You make a strong performance Taekwoon ssi..” Eunji added.

“Mmm, don’t you think he has a soft feature but a sharp gaze as well?” Gayoon asked the other judges

Minki and Kyuhyun nodded.

“Well done, Jung Taekwoon.. Thank you. “ Minki ended the judges responds and then continued the audition to the next contestant.

 

Sukyeon and Jaehwan were still in freezing mode, until Jaehwan said something. “Daebak.. I didn’t know he’s that great..”

“Yeah, me too..” Sukyeon whispered.

“But wait, Minki ssi says he’s son of the pro? What it means?” Sukyeon asked in a low voice.

“You d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter