Movie Date?

So We Go On
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A few hours later...

Young's POV

I looked down at my watch, my lips as I moved away from the next level and followed the arrows to the next hallway. 

I knocked at the door and waited for a second before walking in to be greeted by two other doctors who bowed just as they saw me. 

"Chief Hee," the shorter of the two said and the other followed just as I bowed as well. 

"Status update?"

One of the interns, took the clipboard from me and handed me a flashlight as I walked closer to the bed and leaned down to examine the patient. I opened one of his eyelids, looking down at his eyes before moving to the other one and letting out a deep sigh. 

"Macular degeneration," Dr. Woo said. 

"We have been monitoring it for awhile but I'm afraid that it's already progressed further than we'd like to admit."

"It looks like wet macular degeneration. You can see some of the blood vessels has begun leaking into the retina,"

"Vitamins won't help," Dr. Jine murmured. 

"I know," I sighed. "Move him to the operating room, we'll have to perform a small laser surgery operation. Please get everything ready for me and give me a moment alright?"

"Certainly Chief Hee,"

The doctors bowed and I excused myself as they began to get the patient ready to move to a different room. I walked back over to the front desk and Suzy spotted me right away, a smile breaking onto her face just as I grinned back. 

"Anything I can do for you Chief?"

"Yeah, take care of all my calls for me alright? Let everyone know that I'll be in surgery for a patient and write the messages down and leave it on my desk,"

"Sure thing," she nodded and turned around in her chair to begin typing on the computer. "Anything else?"

"No that's about it,"

I told her goodbye and went back to the operating room, slipping into the station to clean my hands and arms, and moved to wipe them just as I pulled my hair back and grabbed my glasses out of my pocket, putting them on. I pulled a mask out of the box on top of one of the higher shelves and put it on before walking back out. 

Mr. Lee was laid back in the center on the bed and another doctor had already gave him the anesthesia to make him comfortable before moving away to set up the laser equiptment. Since the procedure wasn't technically critical or life threatening, only one other assistant was in the room, cleaning some of the tools on the tray and setting others out for my use. 

After the equiptment was done, the other doctor gave me a reassuring grin and I smiled back before he went to start the clock and shut the lights off. The assistant the overhead lights and I began to get started as she adjusted the clamps that held open the first eye. I moved the machine over, adjusting it until I could directly see into his retina and flipped up the switch as I began to seal the blood vessels to control the bleeding. 

A small line of smoke lifted up from the machine but it was expected and I only pursed my lips as I did as much as I could before switching the machine off when I concluded that eye was fine. The assistant removed the clamps and moved over to the other eye to hold it open and I followed after, turning the machine around and clipping it into place. 

The same went for the other eye though it took me slightly longer than the first one because the laser kept on slightly unfocusing while I kept a hold on it. By the time I finish entirely, I turn the mchine back off and move it to the side while the assistant comes to pat my forehead with a towel but  I shake my head. 

"It's okay, I'm fine," I smile. 

"Alright," she grins.  

When the lights are fully turned back on, I begin to bandage Mr. Lee's eyes closed and just as I'm taping down the right eye, Dr. Im walks in and informs me that his family is here, specifically his wife.

"Well luckily I'm done here. Can you move him back down to his room while I speak to her, please?"

"Sure thing," he takes over as I remove the mask from my mouth and toss my gloves in the recycling bin.

There's an elderly woman sitting down a few chairs away in the hallway and as soon as she turns her head in my direction, she makes a move to get up but I shake my head quickly and instead come to her.

"You must be his wife," I smile slightly.

She moves her bangs to the side and grabs one of my hands in her own, they're small and wrinkled but comforting nonetheless. "Yes-Yes I am. He is okay right?"

"He's perfectly fine," I nodded. I notice that she lets out a small breath but still keeps a hold on my hand. "What about the vision..is he..?"

"Unfortunatetly, " I start. "This laser surgery is only going to slow down the degeneration as much as we can. I can't reverse it but only make it bearable. He'll have to be monitored some more so we can make sure that his vision is alright in the next few days. After that we need to focus on making him used to his sight. I don't want to say blindness is inevitable but he has wet macular degeneration and that can't be cured,"

She nodded her head slowly and I squeezed her fingers even though I could tell that she had probably cried sometime earlier from how red her eyes were.

"Thank you for doing everything you can. That means a lot and my husband is thankful,"

"No problem, it's my job,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter