This Is It

So We Go On
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Young's POV

"What are you waiting for Young?!"

I felt hands push me away and fell back on my haunches while I heard someone yelling behind me, that sounded like Yongwha's voice.

 

Flashback

Sophomore Year in College

"Unnie!"

I felt Hae put her chin in between the spot of where my neck and shoulder meet before squirming away and pushing her back. "Why are you being so clingy? What is it?"

She laughed and bounded forward before throwing herself down on my bed and kicking her legs in the air as I gave her an exasperated look and went back to my homework in front of me. I was trying to figure out how lac operons functioned without the presence of glucose and it was kind of difficult so I needed to get as much studying in before the exam.

"Unnie!"

"Wha-" I felt something smack me in the face and looked down at the paper ball in my lap that Hae had threw at me.

She was trying not to laugh behind her hand but was failing miserably at it and I rolled my eyes before picking up my textbook and threatening her with it. "Don't throw stuff at me!"

"Pay attention to me!"

"Pay attention to me~" I mocked her in a whiny voice. "What are you five? Get out of here I'm trying to concentrate," I shook my head.

I set my book back down and Hae scoffed before rolling onto her stomach and looking over at me. "I have something very serious to tell you though,"

I glanced up at her and her face was straight, void of any hint that she was playing around, so I set my pencil in the middle of the book and put my elbows on the desk so I could put my face in my hands. "What is it?"

"When you become a doctor, and if something ever happens to me I want you to let me be okay? Just let me die because I don't want to be in pain for the rest of my life,"

I stared back at her in confusion and just as I was about to say something, she suddenly burst out into a fit of laughter. She was laughing so hard that she rolled onto her back and was shaking. I however did not see what was so funny. Why would she just want me to let her die like that? She didn't want me to fight for her life at least? Or did she just not have any faith in me as a future doctor?

"Hae why would you want me to do something like that?" I frowned.

"Because," she said between a fit of laughter. "Because I said so," she giggled. Hae wiped the tears that were leaking out of the corner of her eyes and only laughed harder the more I furrowed my eyebrows.

I wanted to attribute this to her being stupid but she sounded so serious and I couldn't find it in me to see why ending her own life was so hilarious to her. My mind was running so fast that I could feel a headache coming on, so I shook my head and went back to my work that was waiting for me.

"Aish! Get out of here Hae, now I can't concentrate!"

 

Present Time

Why would I let her die if I knew how to save her?

Why did I even hesitate to help her?

I knew CPR like the back of my hand!

"Stop you're going to crush her chest!" I snapped out of it.

 I shot forward and knocked Soo Hyuk's hands out of the way. He was shocked for a split second and didn't say anything as I interlocked my fingers and began pumping in the center of her chest while counting down from thirty in my head. 

"I need you to clear her airway," I said quickly. 

As fast as I was pumping, her lips were still not gaining color and she still wasn't breathing. I didn't know why she wasn't coming to yet unless she was underwater for longer than I anticipated. 

"Now Soo Hyuk!" I yelled. 

He quickly snapped out of it and did as I instructed him, tilting her head back and pinching her nose close while breathing into two times. When she didn't respond, I started pumping her chest again and I heard someone arguing on the phone with the paramedics behind me, but I was more concerned about Hae. 

Soo Hyuk and I alternated between pumping her chest and breathing into while I chanted her name over and over under my breath for her to wake up already. 

"Come on, come on, please Hae!"

My eyes started to become watery and I blinked my eyes quickly to will them away just as Soo Hyuk blew a deep gust of air in her lungs that had her spazzing and gasping for breath. 

Soo Hyuk jumped back in shock and Hae coughed up water, trying to sit up until I helped her tilt her head down and sit up partially. Her eyes were glossy and her skin was pale, almost translucent while her hair was stuck to her forehead. I patted on her back while she coughed up the rest of the water and before I could even say anything, Hae looked up at me while Soo Hyuk rushed forward to grab her in a hug. 

"Thank God you're alive," I heard him breathe out. 

People started cheering and clapping their hands while I blinked a few times to clear my vision and kept my grip on Hae tight before looking over into the crowd of people and catching Yonghwa's face. He looked like he wasn't even here. His face was covered in guilt but he looked sad and almost like a stranger. 

I looked away before his eyes could catch mine and stared at Soo Hyuk who was now lightly touching Hae's face. 

 

At The Hospital

12:18 PM

"She's gonna be alright?"

"Yeah," Dr. Im nodded after checking on Hae. "You knew what you were doing, and luckily she hasn't sustained any signs of brain damage or a coma. She'll be fine just slight bruising on the chest- I'll have to check again whether they're fractured or not," 

He tucked his clipboard underneath his arm and patted my shoulder before bowing his head at everyone else in the room and leaving, the door shutting softly behind himself. 

I could hear the heart monitor going through my head and watched as her breathing was stable while she laid back against the pillows in the hospital gown. Her dress had been taken off of her and was laying against the back of the chair while I rubbed my eyes. Yonghwa was sitting in the chair beside her bed but Soo Hyuk hadn't sat down at all and was standing beside Hae holding her hand gently. 

Minhyuk was outside calling Hae's family with my phone to alert them of where we were at and I didn't know whether to be upset at Soo Hyuk or grateful for him. He was the first person to find Hae, as he told me and he had helped me save her. He was there for her- something I couldn't say the same for Yonghwa. The room was so tense that I thought I was going to suffocate from the stiffling atmosphere. No one had said anything, not a word to each other and everytime Yonghwa would glance over at me I would make sure to look the other way. 

I didn't know if I was mad at him either or confused. I didn't know anything to be honest. 

"Young,"

Minhyuk's voice broke the tension and I turned around as he came up behind and handed me my phone back before grabbing me around the waist. "They're going to be here soon, the twins are going to bring them."

I nodded and he kissed my temple before rubbing my back in a comforting manner, probably in hopes to get whatever was on my mind off, but I don't think it was working.

"Do you want me to run and get you something else to wear? I don't think you want to be in this dress much longer,"

"It's fine," I shook my head. "I don't really care but thanks," I smiled slightly.

He kissed my temple again, this time squeezing my waist and nodded before looking over at Yongwha. I didn't have to ask him to know what he was thinking.

"He's going to beat himself up about this until it kills him," he whispered.

"He was just standing there Minhyuk,"

"He was in shock, besides someone was already there," Minhyuk gestered towards Soo Hyuk.

"So you wouldn't have at least tried to help if the situation were reversed?"

He didn't say anything but only stared down at me.

 

When Hae came to, she was only slightly uncomfortable and asked for some water in which Yonghwa immediately rose from his seat and left to get some. Soo Hyuk had this weird look in his eyes and I didn't understand what his deal was before he was leaning down and kissing her cheek. My eyes widened and Hae also looked shocked before she started coughing again and I pushed him away.

"You're going to kill her, what's your problem?!"

Soo Hyuk frowned at me but I ignored him and grasped Hae's hand in my own while she grinned at me- her lips were almost returning back to their usual color. "What took you so long?" she chuckled in a raspy breath.

"What do you mean?! I was only following what you told me to do remember?"

"You're seriously so stupid," she laughed lightly and shook her head. "I was just joking, why would I want to die? I seriously don't know how you became a doctor Unnie,"

"Yah!"

She laughed some more and I rolled my eyes before letting her hand go just as she opened to speak again. "Where is Yonghwa?"

"He went to get you something to drink around here. Do you remember what happened?" Minhyuk raised an eyebrow. 

Soo Hyuk stiffened and I froze, because through all the confusion and haste of trying to resuscitate I had never asked how she even got from where she was at to ending up in the bottom of the pool and almost drowning to death. Surely she hadn't fell in, she was not one to make a clumsy mistake like that and it was too cold to be swimming unless someone had pushed her in....

Before Hae could say anything, the door flew open and both of her parents rushed in, her mother sighing in relief and rushing towards her daughter, while almost pushing me out of the way and her dad following suit. 

"You're okay!"

Her mother her face and kissed her head while her dad r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter