Liar Liar

To Steal His Heart

Nana's feet shuffled as she ruffled her hair. It still felt sore from all the tugging and pulling MiSun had done that morning to keep it into place. She brought a hand up to , and yawned loudly as MiSun had also forced her awake early that morning to go find Kyuhyun. Apparently, he always came to school early. MiSun had stated that it was extremely important that she started her task early because "every second counted." She stood on her toes to find the said person, but found that he wasn't in his usual spot, ready to humiliate her for the day. 
 
She threw her hands down to her side, and fished the notebook out of her bag, scanning over the sheet. How did MiSun expect her to "casually" ask such straight forward questions? This really was a pain. Wouldn't it be so much easier just to ask the questions directly? 
 
She looked up from the notebook, and finally spotted Kyuhyun sitting in the shade of a big tree. She strode over to the area, and took a seat next to him. He looked up at her for a second, confused, before looking away. 
 
"What are you doing here? Aren't you glad that I'm not teasing you today?" He demanded, refusing to meet her gaze. She tilted her head, and tried to get a good look at his expression, but he seemed to be hiding his face. 
 
"I don't know. I guess I'm happy." A sigh left his lips. It was several second before he turned back to face her, with a cross look on his face. 
 
"What do you want?" She opened to speak, but no words would come out. She felt herself shiver a bit at his cold tone. Why was he being so crabby today? Why was he taking it out on her? She began playing with a blade of grass, as if it were the most interesting thing in the world. She couldn't stand the uncomfortable silence, and wanted nothing more than to get up and leave, but she couldn't. The only thing stopping her were those nagging words that she knew she'd receive from MiSun if she didn't go through with this. Or worse...what if MiSun revealed her crush to the world? 
 
She could feel her face heat up at the thought of the possibility, and quickly fetched MiSun's notebook. 
 
"Kyuhyun-ah, what's your favorite color?" She exclaimed, clicking her pen in place and holding it to the paper. She looked up at him expectantly, watching him scowl at the question. 
 
"Why do you care?" He questioned, a smirk falling so naturally in place on his face. She pursed her lips after realizing that he was mocking her for their little conversation the day before. She referred back to the notebook again, and tried a different question. 
 
"Then, what's your favorite food?"  
 
"What's with all the strange questions?" Once again, he ignored the question. Her eyebrows furrowed in irritation as she opened to speak once again. Her cheeks turned bright pink as she gaped at the next question on the sheet. She was never going to ask this. Never. That was just too embarrassing. Besides, if he hadn't answered any of the other questions, what would make him answer this one. 
 
'Wouldn't Choi Siwon like to know that you like him?'
MiSun's previous words rang through her head like a never-ending song that she just couldn't get out of her head. With slight hesitation, she gulped back her fears and opened to speak. 
 
"What do you look for in a girl?" She spoke quietly, staring up at him cautiously. Kyuhyun's eyes widened, and he silently started debating whether he should get his ears checked or something. Had he actually heard her correctly? Was the same Kim Nana he'd known all his life, actually asking him that? That was ridiculous. She obviously liked Choi Siwon. It was so obvious it was practically written across her forehead. Yet, the way she was looking up at him as though she was desperate to know the answer...His gaze finally met with the notebook in her hands. He snatched it from her grasp, and scanned the page. 
 
"Hey! Wait! That's-" She started to protest, only to be cut off by his relieved laughter. So that's what this was. He didn't know why, but he felt slightly relieved knowing that she didn't honestly want to know. Maybe it was because he was afraid of change in their relationship. She took his laughter as an insult, and pouted while her face changed from its normal pale color to a bright red. He was making fun of her...if only he knew that it wasn't even her idea in the first place. Then she wouldn't have to suffer his stupid snide comments afterwards. 
 
Her face grew brighter and brighter as the laughter continued. She clenched her fists and gritted her teeth, doing all she could not to lose her temper. Nana's want to kick him continued to rise, but she held herself back because she simply didn't believe in violence, even if it would make her feel the slightest bit better. Finally, he stopped laughing, and smiled, amused by the angry expression she wore. He was having way too much fun, messing with her. 
 
"Why are you even doing this? Don't you know enough about me already? I've known you for..." He counted off on his fingers, as if he didn't know how long already, although he really did. "13 years, right?" The amused smirk never left his face, and it just aggravated her even more. She puffed her cheeks out, and turned away stubbornly. 
 
"It's not for me!" She lied, although it didn't come out smoothly. She was horrible at lying, and her voice trembled as she spoke, her cheeks flushing. "One of my friends wanted to know. She...um...likes you, or something like that." Kyuhyun couldn't help but frown at this. Of course she wouldn't want to know anything about him. Heck, she hardly wanted to be around him. This was the first time she'd ever willingly seeked him out, and it would probably be the last too. Of course, she'd never go searching for him unless she were forced by someone else. 
 
"Besides, I don't really know much about you. So how would I be able to find out if I didn't ask?" 
 
"I know you like the back of my hand, Nana." He replied bitterly, "I've known you for the past 13 years." There was an air of tension, and silence between the two. After all, Nana honestly didn't know how to respond. Was she really that horrible? She'd been talking to him for the past 13 years, and she didn't know one thing about him, while he memorized everything about her just by watching? Wasn't that a little rude of her? She bit into her bottom lip and looked away from Kyuhyun with guilt, immediately wishing that she'd never said anything at all. 
 
"Tell your friend that I just don't feel like answering." 
 
"But that's cold." She muttered under her breath, looking away. Instead, she focused on watching all the kids file into the school. Her gaze stopped on one person, as she found Siwon in the crowd. Her heart skipped a beat again, and she began to fidget nervously. If she didn't finish these questions for MiSun in the next two days, MiSun would tell everyone, and she'd have to last through the most embarrassing day of her life. 
 
"I lied!" Nana finally broke down, "That friend doesn't exist, okay? I wanted to know." 
 
"And why would that be?" 
 
"Because I want us to be friends." Her voice faltered again, and she tried to concentrate on the words on the notebook, although they were all beginning to blur together. She knew her cheeks were growing warm, and hoped that they wouldn't grow any redder than they already were. 
 
"Maybe some other time." Kyuhyun replied. He sighed, before throwing her a bitter smile. "By the way, you tremble and your face gets all red when you're lying." He then left her there dumbfounded.