Epilogue Part 1

What My Heart Tells Me To Do
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Epilogue

6 Years Later

|Chaerin’s Perspective|

“Dara you need to stop buying stuff for Haneul” Jiyong groaned when he walked in and saw the pile of various coloured bags by the front entrance.  They were filled with baby outfits, toys, and other necessities. Dara had shown me everything and she literally, literally squealed for every item she bought.

“Why?! She has a calling for being cute, so she needs cute things! Plus she loves it!” Dara whisper-argued as she rocked Haneul back and forth with a gleaming smile plastered on her face. Her yellow dress sashayed with the movement. Little Kwon Haneul, the newest addition to our family, was cradled in Dara’s arms napping. Her button nose and rosy cheeks were visible from across the room. My stomach fluttered. My best friend with my daughter. One night the three of us argued that she looked more like Jiyong than I, but I knew she carried my charm. She had Jiyong’s eyes for sure, and her rosy red cheeks were to die for. She was an absolute bundle of joy. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever see myself married and with a child. Of course I thought about it… I just never thought it would happen for me. But I guess I had Jiyong to thank for that. He made me want to take steps I never thought I could.

Haneul cooed as she snuggled into Dara’s arms. It had taken hours to finally get Haneul to sleep and I was so relieved when Dara took over.

Parenting is no joke.

I grabbed a cup of water as I watched Jiyong and Dara bicker through the windowless frame that allowed me to see into the living room.

Everything had changed so much since we all met. All of us had graduated university and were now well into our careers. Jiyong had a business degree and now worked alongside with TOP in expanding VIPz Cafe. Dara was currently employed at a daycare centre in the infant room. After receiving her degree in Early Childhood Education she’s been ecstatic to work alongside infants. It was the perfect job for her.

She loved it so much. I could never be as proud of her as I am today. On the side, she writes songs for those at the daycare. Dara normally asks Jiyong for help since he actually has a talent in composing. I was just as shocked when I found out, because the stuff he produced was not mediocre. He even started composing stuff for the café and he’s actually received amazing feedback from it.

Dara now lived on her own as Jiyong and I moved out after graduating. It was a part of his proposal gift.

Speaking of which, I got married last year! My eyes darted back to the ring on my finger. It was a simple band with a beautiful diamond in the center. But the best part was the engraving on the inner side of the ring. I love you. It was perfect.

 Everything was honestly so surreal that day. He proposed right after our graduation ceremony. He told me we were going out for dinner but it turns out it was more than that. He took me to the park by our old high school which was destroyed by the fire but was now restored back to its former glory.

That’s when he relayed to me that it was here where he first fell for me. And soon after he proposed I eagerly said yes.

In the following month of August, we had a small wedding with friends and family. It was everything I could have dreamed of. It was simple yet so meaningful.  

 It wasn’t until that fall we had news of Haneul. I still remember the excitement in Jiyong’s eyes as I relayed the news to him. He was ecstatic, and in his excitement there were tears of joy. It was such a beautiful thing to watch. To see his happiness enlightened me to the heavens. That night there were endless promises made as we sat together in each other’s embrace.

Now, we were setting up a dinner for Kris’s return. He was returning to Vancouver for a while for business purposes but he created time to come see us.

 Jiyong brought his hand to his face letting out a sigh.

“Dara, she’s only 2 months. The only two feelings she understands are hunger and being cranky”.

“Well I am the aunt so I have to spoil her. It’s literally in my job description”

Jiyong sighed as he gathered all the bags that Dara brought and placed them in the back room of their house.

He returned and entered the kitchen where I stood watching Dara and Haneul. Jiyong wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me in. His spicy scent wafting around me as I sunk into his embrace. He rested his chin on my shoulder and whispered.

“Can you please explain to Dara that she’s going too far? I don’t want her to keep spending so much”

“Uh-uh. No can do mister. She told me when I was pregnant that this is something she really wants to do. Plus you know how she is with infants” I replied.

“I know” Jiyong sighed, his breath sending shivers down my spine.

“You also know that when she has a kid we’re probably going to do the same, right. We might even end up broke” I pointed out.

Jiyong laughed, his chest rumbling behind me.

“Very true” he kissed me on the cheek. I watched Dara as she hummed a lullaby to Haneul. The two were so adorable in that moment. I let out a sigh.

“Something wrong?” Jiyong asked, his arms squeezing around me. I shook my head.

“No. It’s just I can’t believe that we are parents. That I am a mother, and you a father. That the beautiful angel over there is our child”

Jiyong pulled me closer and placed a chaste kiss on my shoulder.

“I know. Sometimes I feel like I’m dreaming that I have the two most beautiful and amazing women in my life”

“And that I’ve got the most amazing husband” I claimed as I turned around. He wore a black dress shirt over my personal favourite dark jeans that hung low on his waist. His hair was still damp from the shower, but it was ruffled to give that look I loved so much. His immaculate jawline, his charming brown eyes and those plump lips. This amazing man was mine. I smiled and stood up on my toes and kissed him. Then I slowly pulled away. A fire lit up in his eyes and he pulled me closer.

“No” I whispered as I attempted to move away.

 Jiyong groaned and tried to pull me back.

“Behave” I reminded him with a wink as he reluctantly let go a smile forming.

“What time is Kris getting here?” Dara asked as she placed Haneul in her crib. I pulled away and glanced at the stove time.

“Kris said he might be a bit late but he should be coming soon” I replied as Jiyong brought out the dishes.

“How about Kevin?” I asked Dara.

Dara entered the kitchen, her eyes darting around the kitchen purposely avoiding mine. Something was up.

“Kevin is on his way” Dara muttered under her breath and then quickly added “Oh my gosh! What did you make? It smells so good!” Jiyong and I shared a look and he raised an eyebrow. Crossing his arms over his chest he stood by the entrance blocking it in case Dara decided to escape. Dara turned to open the oven to take a peek when I stopped her and closed the oven door.

“Nuh-uh. Spill. How are things going with Kevin?” I inquired. Dara had started dating Kevin thr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter