Genie part 1

To Love You: More than a Dream, It is our Destiny

 

Chapter 34 Genie part 1


 

 

Backstory 18 years ago

 

18 years ago, the Government contracted the Choi Group and Jung Industries for an experimental research with the end result of enhancing mental and physical abilities. They wanted us to help make ordinary individuals into super soldiers.

 

“So Edward Choi and Henry Jung can I count on you to produce the results we expect out of this research?” Former President Park Daesoo asked as he signed the contract.

 

“You can count on us Mr. President.” Henry assured President Park of favorable results.

 

“Oh one more thing, allow me to introduce the liason officer that will act on my behalf and inform me of the project’s progress.” President Park gestured a man behind him to come forward.

 

“Henry, Edward meet Psy, he will be working closely with you through the entire course of this undertaking, arraso?” President Park handed the documents to us.

 

“Dae”

 

“Anyeong, Psy imnida, hope we could get along for the success of this project.” Psy introduced himself and politely bowed to both Henry and Edward.

 

After the contract signing, the research immediately went underway. For the first couple of years we came up with very little progress, but surely enough we were getting somewhere. Instead of opting for genetic engineering we thought of something less invasive. Something that back then was completely revolutionary and radical, it was something straight out of science fiction.

 

“I’ve got it Ed, Psy! This should be a better alternative than genetic enhancement!” Henry had a eureka moment.

 

He explained to us what he was brainstorming about, he told us of how we can enhance both mental and physical abilities by inducing into the brain everything needed by a super soldier. Fighting skills in all known forms of combat, marksmanship, advanced tactics and strategies for warfare and survival, and lastly exponentially increase the brain’s capacity to learn and acquire new skills and knowledge.

 

“But how are we going to do all of that without genetic modification or surgery?” Psy asked

 

“Simple we have the innate ability to learn through our eyes right? How about we feed all of that information by visually transferring them to a person.” Psy and Ed sort of got what Henry is implying.

 

“So you mean like implanting knowledge right?”

 

“What about the fighting skills and everything that a super soldier is supposed to be physically capable of doing? Can we actually implant that?” Psy asked again

 

“Of course! If we store that information then the brain can relay that information to every single inch of the body, think about it we can walk because we learned and know how to walk.”

 

“If we input all of the necessary information into brain then a feat like flying an F14 won’t be impossible for an ordinary person.” Henry continued explaining his idea.

 

“Okay we get it, but how can we transfer all of that information? Do we even have a device for that huh?” Psy asked as he begins to fully grasp what Henry is getting at.

 

“Yes we do, it’s something I’ve been working on, and all that is left to do is the codified information and program. If we complete those then we can proceed with testing the project.” Henry smirked confidently.

 

“Done, I’ll work on that leave the codes and program to me Henry.” as a computer genius and there’s virtually nothing that I won’t be able to program.

 

Later on I completed the program, and Henry also completed the device needed for transferring and converting all of that codified information. The device was still a prototype and was as large as a full sized refrigerator; it was a supercomputer with an output device that looks like a helmet with goggles. The helmet was lined with microscopic needle like probes that would help induce brain stimulating shocks in order to boost the transfer process. The goggles had tiny screens that will visually implant the information into the brain. Combined with brain stimulation and visual transfer everything that would take years for a soldier to learn would be learned by an ordinary human in less than 30 seconds.

 

 

“Congratulations Ed, Henry! You guys completed everything, but who would be testing this?” Psy was wondering who would be the test subject for this procedure.

 

“I think it would be dangerous if we get an adult, there could be serious repercussions. How about we test it on a child instead?” Henry thought that if we choose an adult as a test subject, that adult might use his or her abilities for evil purposes.

 

“Seems fair, but who? Who would be willing enough to present their child as a test subject for this experiment? Lastly who could we possibly rely on and trust considering the dangers of this procedure?” Psy asked as he thought of someone they could possibly ask to volunteer their child for the procedure.

 

“I have someone in mind, I trust him with my life and I’m sure he’d agree with this.” I thought of an old friend of mine.

 

Back then I still had contact with my friend James Kwon; I called him up and wondered if he would be willing to help in this undertaking. James reluctantly talked with his wife Michiro regarding the experiment. They had a long discussion and were arguing whether they should or not let Yuri participate in the procedure.

 

“James you can’t be serious? I know Ed’s a good friend of yours but volunteering our daughter for such a dangerous procedure just is too much to ask!” Michiro raised her voice hysterically, her fear is that Yuri might get hurt or worst die because of the experimental procedure.

 

“I know Michi, I know… but it’s Ed, I can’t let him down, I trust him and I know he wouldn’t ask this if anything bad would happen to our daughter. Just trust me Michi please?”

 

“But what if the procedure goes horribly wrong? What if we lose our daughter? Can you live with that James? Because I can’t! I just can’t!” Michiro started crying fearing something terribly wrong would happen to her daughter.

 

“Honey, please don’t think that something bad will happen to our daughter. I’m sure Ed has carefully considered the consequences and I’m sure he wouldn’t ask this of us if things would just go horribly wrong.” James assured his wife that nothing bad was going to happen to their daughter. Just then little Yuri entered the living room and wondered why they were arguing.

 

“Okasan, Otosan why are you arguing *sob~sob~* pwease don’t fight~” Little Yuri was sobbing and sniffling while dragging her Mickey Mouse plushy.

 

“Oh… pearly sweetie… we’re not fighting we were just— discussing something important. Don’t worry your little heart arraso?” James picked up the little 6 year old and soothed her.

 

“Come on Yu-chan please stop crying, mommy isn’t fighting with otosan, and she’s just discussing things with him.” Michiro her daughter’s hair.

 

Later on they agreed to let Yuri partake in the experiment; they flew to Korea with their daughter for the procedure. James and Michiro closely observed the experimental procedure; they wanted to make sure that nothing bad was going to happen to their daughter. They watched as Yuri sat on the chair while Edward slowly placed the helmet on her. He secured the helmet and made sure that she could clearly see the tiny screens on the goggles.

 

Once she was secured Ed signaled Henry to prepare the machine and went over to make sure that everything was going the right way. The machine made beeping sounds as the procedure went underway, tiny flickering lights became visible on the helmet. James and Michiro looked on and saw that nothing seems to be happening to Yuri. They looked at the different equipment that was monitoring Yuri’s vitals and there was nothing out of the ordinary. In a matter of seconds the machine powered down, the process was completed. Ed removed the helmet and checked on Yuri, she was unconscious. This worried both James and Michiro, they looked at the monitors again and Yuri’s vital signs were all okay, she was breathing, she had a pulse and her heartbeat was completely normal. After a couple of minutes Yuri regained consciousness, Edward, Henry, Psy, James and Michiro collectively let out a sigh of relief.

 

“Yuri sweetie are you okay?” Michiro asked her daughter.

 

“Mmm… I’m okay mommy! I’m perfectly fine! Hehe” Yuri smiled widely as if nothing had happened to her; this made Michiro feel a whole lot better knowing her daughter is fine.

 

For the months that followed the entire research team tested Yuri by putting her through different workouts and they closely monitored her every action including her vitals. She demonstrated skills she’s never known her entire life and the results were promising. She knows every known martial arts and her familiarity with different weapons, military vehicles and strategies were just amazing. Who could have imagined a 6 year old with expert knowledge in firing and proper handling of any firearm as well as piloting fighter jets and so much more.

 

However one day… a flaw became apparent with the first Genie prototype.

 

Yuri was going through a tough obstacle course that required extreme agility, and dexterity and control. It was designed to test the very limits of Yuri’s capability and it was intended as the final hurdle needed for the project’s success.

 

Yuri breathed in and out as she ran through the first section of the obstacle course, suddenly simulated enemy targets appeared in front of her.  Yuri smirked confidently and knew exactly what to do. She leaped towards the first target and kicked it hard. The second target moved towards her, she caught a glimpse of the target from the corner of her eye. She ducked and sprung up and kicked the second target. Suddenly as she charged towards the final target she got hit by an unexpected padded battering ram that came out of nowhere. Yuri’s little body got flung a few meters back. Obvious anger appeared on her face. The team tracking her vitals noticed the sudden increase in heart rate, breathing and pulse.

 

“This isn’t good… I think she’s losing control.” One of the team members monitoring Yuri’s vitals became worried. Henry, James and Edward watched as Yuri lost her composure.

 

Suddenly Yuri pounced on the battering ram; she ripped it from the floor, everyone watching her gasped. The battering ram though padded was still quite heavy and impossible to rip apart by a single individual let alone a child.

 

*CKkkkRRRaaaAACccKK!!! ZrrrZzrrtttt!!! Fzzzttt!!* The battering ram made a cracking sound as it got dismembered from its base. Torn electrical wires made zapping and buzzing noises. Then smoke started to appear the machine had been completely destroyed.

 

After careful deliberation and further testing it became clear that the Genie prototype 1 was unstable, the subject’s emotion greatly affects the physical capability of the subject, in this case Yuri. The Korean Government asked Choi group and Jung Industries to redraw and rethink the Genie project.

 

“What will happen now Ed?” James asked as he and his wife Michiro sat down and had coffee with Edward Choi.

 

“Don’t worry about a thing James, Yuri’s identity and involvement with the project has been kept confidential, and the government won’t bother you regarding the experiment.”

 

“That’s good to hear, Ed…” James sighed in relief as he held his wife’s hand.

 

“James, just make sure you raise your daughter well… take extra care of her arraso?” Edward chose his words carefully and expressed his concern for Yuri’s upbringing.

 

“Don’t worry Ed, we know and we perfectly understand. Don’t worry Yuri’s a strong girl she’ll grow up just fine. Just you wait and see she’s gonna become an amazing person.” James grinned and then took a sip of his coffee. 

 

Hey guys, mianhe I was supposed to put this up yesterday but I had some trouble with my mom, man who knew not replying to her text message would cause me so much trouble. Sigh... Anyway here's the first part of the backstory.

 

Much love and appreciation to icha_yoonyul, yUrakagel, hypechloe, amiigo and dhyraa

 

As always thanks a million to everyone, my dear subbies and readers thank you!

 

^_^

 

-AnDroGeNie-