The Dinner

Story Of Us

Wooyoung glanced nervously when he walked inside the house. He scolded himself for being retarded, for he had already gone to the house for few times and walked out from there without burden. But why, why, could he become this nervous? What's wrong?

 

*Because you're meeting her parents as a real boyfriend! As someone who really loves their daughter! Not a fake boyfriend.* The back of his mind replied his question and he took another deep breath.

 

"You're here!" Taeyeon greeted him as she walked out from the kitchen, thanking her mom for opening the door.

 

"No worry." Mrs. Kim delightedly said. "Join us at the table." She said, gesturing the couple to go to the dinner table, where Mr. Kim has already seated.

 

Wooyoung his lower lip, wetting it before joining the soon to be parents-in-law at the table.

 

Taeyeon served the foods and Mrs. Kim smiled mysteriously. When she saw Taeyeon went to the back to get a plate of side dishes, Mrs. Kim leaned closer to Wooyoung and whispered, "She made almost everything in this table." She winked playfully before leaning back and smiled at her husband.

 

Taeyeon sat beside Wooyoung and the parents-in-law took the foods first before Wooyoung. He took a spoon of acorn jelly which looked delicious. After a taste, his face looked green and he caught the look Mrs. Kim gave him, forcing him to swallow down everything.

 

Who thought Taeyeon is that bad at cooking?

 

"How is it?" Taeyeon smiled brightly.

 

*gulp* "Delicious!" Wooyoung beamed.

 

Taeyeon smiled and took a big spoon of acorn jelly together with rice. Her face turned as green as Wooyoung and she choked. "Uhuk uhuk!"

 

Wooyoung quickly gave her a glass of water. "Be careful when you're eating!"

 

Taeyeon wiped her lips and shot a look at him. "You said it was delicious!"

 

"I thought it was!" Wooyoung defended.

 

Taeyeon pouted slightly before she pushed the plate of Acorn Jelly away. Then her eyes darted round the other plates on the table, feeling a disappointment rushed through her system. She picked up her fork and prevented others to continue eating. She then realized that her parents were eating rice and soup, which made by her mom, despite the other vegetables on their plates. Her dad threw her an apologetic smile, putting down his spoon.

 

She took a deep, hesitant breath before putting a green vegetable into . Once the food in , she choked and puke the thing out, still in its shape. "S-salty!! Too salty!!" She shrieked as Wooyoung once again came to the rescue.

 

The dining room fell into a thick silence as everyone waited for Taeyeon to say something. A sudden creak of chair pushed away against the floor startled everyone and they saw Taeyeon standing up. Her face was miserable, but she tried her best to cover it up with a small fake smile.

 

"I'm done eating." She moved away and trudged out from the dining room.

 

The three looked at each other.

 

"C....can I?"

 

Mrs. Kim nodded her head supportively. "Comfort her."

 

 

 

 

 

Taeyeon was curling herself on the bed with the blanket when soft knocks heard.

 

"Taeng?" Wooyoung's voice came to her ear and she found herself closing her eyes desperately.

 

She was trying to shell herself from dying in embarrassment. How could she be that stupid to even try to cook, when she knew she had no experience in one? She should've been pessimistic about it before doing it, because right now, she felt nothing but embarrassed.

 

She had completely humiliated herself in front of Wooyoung, and would be trauma to ever try once again. She cooked that Acorn Jelly for the nth time for that night, and because of Wooyoung's appearance making her to forget on trying the taste before serving it.

 

Not to mention that the other food that she had made while waiting for the Acorn Jelly to be done was as bad as the Acorn Jelly.

 

She forced her mind to stop recalling the unwanted memories as a tear fell on her cheek. She just wanted to be good. There's no need to be so damn good, but just good for godsake's! But why even doing that was that hard?

 

The knocks were still heard, accompanied by the rustling sound from jolting keys into the keyhole. Soon after, the door creaked open and Wooyoung stepped into the quiet dark as he closed the door back, letting the surrounding fell into a comforting silence.

 

She heard his footsteps nearing her and she scooted away to the other side of the bed. She didn't want him to look at her devastating state. She felt the bed jolted down as his weight pressed down the soft material. His hand reached out to the white blanket, but made no further action than just putting his hand on where he assumed her shoulder.

 

"Taeng.." His voice came to her ear, sweetly ringing.

 

Taeyeon muffled her cries as she wiped her tears harshly.

 

From the way the body rose up and down, Wooyoung predicted that Taeyeon was crying. He just stayed there, waiting for her to calm down. Knowing Taeyeon, she might not want him to see her crying. They can still talk this way.

 

"I... I don't know what to say, obviously." He started. "I want to tell you that it's okay, but you didn't tell me what's wrong. I've never really been into a serious relationship with girls before as much as I was known as a playboy, but that's beside the point. My point is, I don't know how to comfort you if I don't know what's wrong." He said.

 

The silence continued on taking over.

 

There was a moment of hesitation before the question slipped off his lips, "Is it because of your pride?"

 

Taeyeon's eyes flickered open as she shot up from under the blanket, her eyes meeting his in split second. "What did you say?"

 

Wooyoung should've felt relieve that he got her attention, but her fuming face made him think twice.

 

"What did you say?" She repeated sternly.

 

Wooyoung sighed as he faced her completely, eyes meeting hers. "I asked whether is it because of your pride or not."

 

She threw him the toy he got her on their first date when they were still a fake couple. "How could you!?" She shouted as she hit him. "How could you ask me that!?" Tears sprang out from her beautiful orbs as they half-closed as she continuously hit him. "I was feeling guilty for not able to give you a good dish to eat, and you asked me about my pride!? Don't you know I felt embarrass? Don't you think, if you're the one on that position, what would it feel like? How could you come up with that question!?"

 

Wooyoung grabbed both her wrists as she wriggled out from his grasp, but he just pulled her close, embracing her with his body. "Sorry, Taeng.. I'm sorry if I make you feel bad... I'm sorry." He soothed her as she was sobbing against his chest. "I don't know you feel like that. I'm sorry for being a bad boyfriend. I'm sorry for the lack of understanding."

 

He kept saying sorry and sorry over to her in order to make her feel better. It was better for her to get angry to him than curling herself in disappointment and sadness. He knew she must be feeling down for what she made didn't meet her expectations, but she couldn't just shield herself and dwelled on the bad feeling by herself.

 

That's why he was there. He was her boyfriend. He was supposed to be the one who protected her from anything, even if it was mere simple problem like this. He was there to support and love her, and she shouldn't be pushing him away for something like that.

 

He loves her no matter what she did, and she should've known that better.

 

"I don't mind eating all the dishes for you." Wooyoung attempted a light joke as he heard her sobs ceased. "Just don't push me away." He added seriously.

 

Her tears stopped streaming down as her breathing becoming regular. "I'm sorry, too." She mumbled at his t-shirt. "I can't be a good wife."

 

Her words surprised him. When he looked down at her, she seemed hasn't realized what she had said. "Are you proposing me, Taeng?" He asked teasingly.

 

She looked up at him in confusion. Then her mind wandered back...... "I DIDN'T--" Her face flushed red as she realized what she had spurt out. "OH MY-- I--"

 

Her lips was forcefully closed as he engulfed , stopping her from saying anything further. He smirked slightly against her lips before breaking the kiss. Their lips were brushing against each other as he said, "If you did, I'd like to say yes."

 

Taeyeon shook her head as she chuckled. She gave a light punch on his shoulder as she said, "I thought that's my job to say yes."

 

Wooyoung smiled. "Then from today until years later, until we're on the legitimate age to marry, promise me that you'll only say 'yes' to me."

 

"In this case?" She asked teasingly.

 

"Yes. In this case." He replied, nuzzling his nose against hers.

 

She smiled while pressing her head closer to his chest and he wrapped his arms around her in tight embrace. They smiled contentedly as they stared out to the night sky from the window.

 

It was indeed a night full of bright sparkling stars.