002

A Royal Pain In The

 

 

Heeji eyed the vase warily, she was inside her father’s study, her mom was seated across her, browsing through a magazine while her father was looking at the grades.

“Well, despite the trouble you cause, I have nothing to say about your grades.” The male grinned at his only daughter.

“Thanks, appa. I really appreciate that.” She mused; her mother just eyed them warily.

Jung Heeji was a bit of a spoiled brat. And by a bit, it means a lot.

“You shouldn’t have gotten her that car.” Mrs. Jung chided her husband again.

“Too late, mother.” She mused, which just earned her a scalding glare from her mom.

“When is halmae coming? I’m hungry.” She leaned back on the couch, her father eyed her ripped skinny jeans and off-shoulder top get up briefly, he sighed.

“Is this about work again, appa? I’m not done with school yet and,” She grinned at him.

“We had a deal. You even signed it on paper.”

“I don’t think you should be negotiating, daughter.” Mr. Jung replied, Heeji chuckled just as the doors opened.

“Halmae,” Heeji sang as she stood up and welcomed the elder with a hug.

“I’m glad you listened to me, what did you father threaten you with?” She asked as she sat down, Heeji grinned.

“I would have her credit cards cut off.”

Halmae laughed, Heeji shrugged.

“I wont even try to defend myself with that.” Heeji conceded, her mother just squeezed her hand.

“So, what is it, halmeoni?” Heeji faced her grandmother, then she smiled and set a box on the table.

“Wow, that thing looks old. Tale as old as time.” She mused.

“It’s yours, Heeji. From your grandfather.” The elder Mrs. Jung spoke, Heeji nodded and carefully picked up the box.

She lifted the lid off and took notice of the red and gold inner lining, then she saw a photo of two men.

“Oh, halbae and a friend?” She asked, then she saw an envelope, she ignored the later when she saw the silver medallion.

“Is this my inheritance?” She chuckled to herself; her parents just flinched, waiting for realization to hit their daughter.

And then Heeji finally went back to the later, she balked and dropped everything on the carpeted floor.

“You’ve got to be kidding. This is a very painful cliché.” She stated, the elders all looked at her.

“Heeji, darling~”

“Since it’s halbae’s promise, he should do it himself.” Heeji stood up.

“Heeji~”

“I will not get married to some son of a business partner, appa. I’m not a chess piece.” She argued.

“Did you even read everything?” Her father replied.

“I don’t want to.” She stated before storming out of the room.

The elders all looked at each other as soon as the doors were shut close.

“Well, if that’s her reaction on her thinking we’re marrying her off to another company, imagine when,” Halmae picked up the later and pointed towards the red markings on the paper.

“She sees the royal seal. It will be chaotic.”

“We have to think of a way to make her realize, eommonim.”

“We’re talking about your daughter. We better act fast.”

 

 

Taeyong’s forehead was knitted as the car pulled over in front of his school, his two friends were already waiting by the marble steps.

“Seja~”

“Don’t follow me inside.” He said before sliding down the car, and walked towards the two males.

“You look glum. Well, you always do.” Johnny said as the crown prince reached them, they ignored the stares from the other students as they walked.

“Don’t start. It’s still too early.” Ten shook his head as they entered the building.

“Is it true?” Johnny spoke, Taeyong paused and looked at him.

“There’s been a rumor about you getting married soon. It’s a hoax, right?” Johnny nudged him.

“A rumor.” Taeyong shrugged and just tightened his grip on the strap of his backpack.

“It’s our junior year, I don’t know what to expect.” Ten stated as they reached the main building, the three popular went up to the famed lounge room of Daehan University. The school has been catering the children of the upper class, the campus is one of the most advanced in Asia, and the lounge room was a special area for some students whose parents paid extra more just to give them a resting spot in school. This resting spot included a spa, a coffee shop, sleeping pods and other amenities.

“Coffee. I expect coffee.” Taeyong patted his friend’s shoulder before heading to the counter.

 

 

Heeji was welcomed with two open arms and a strong whiff of Creed perfume.

“Jaerin-ah,” She grinned and hugged her friend back.

“When I heard that you were finally back I almost cried.” Jaerin squeezed her hands.

“I had no choice, I’ve been called. And…I don’t want to talk about it. What’s new in Daehan?” Heeji asked as Jaerin looped one arm around hers as they entered the lounge room.

“Nothing really. We’re still a bunch of college kids required to wear uniforms.”

Heeji chuckled.

“You? I heard you caused a lot of trouble in Tokyo? Your halmae hasn’t disowned you yet?”

“Tokyo is home now. Seoul…feels awkward to me. And no, she hasn’t disowned me, well, not yet.” Heeji muttered, then Jaerin started to squeal.

“Ya, what~”

“It’s the crown prince. He’s here.” She sighed dreamily, Heeji followed her gaze.

“What prince? The crown prince?” Heeji echoed, then Jaerin squeezed her arm more, she flinched.

Then Heeji looked up, her brows rose briefly.

The prince, Taeyong raised his cup of coffee and gave her a slight nod, Heeji gave him a nod back.

Jaerin balked.

 

 

“Who was that?” Johnny asked as they sat down.

“Jung…Hee ji, she’s a family friend.” Taeyong said simply, Ten glanced at the girl.

“She’s pretty.” Ten nodded, Taeyong glanced at her again.

“I haven’t seen her in a while, it took some time recognize her.”

“How does your family know her? Is she a royal too?” Johnny leaned back on his seat.

Taeyong placed his bag down, his brows met together as he saw the silver medal in his backpack’s front pocket.

“No, my grandfather and her grandfather were great friends.”

“Oh my god, was she your only playmate growing up?” Johnny chuckled.

“You…could say that.” Taeyong shrugged.

 

 

“Oh my god, you know the prince?” Jaerin jumped, Heeji winced and just made her sit down.

“He’s the prince, who doesn’t?” She replied as she stabbed the straw on the lid.

“I mean, the prince knows you? He never talks to anyone else except his two friends, Samsung and Siam Group.”

“I don’t think someone would name their kid Samsung or~”

“Answer me.” Jaerin whined, Heeji rolled her eyes.

“Every time there was party when I was a kid, Tayeong was always there. So naturally, we became playmates.”

“How cute.” Jaerin cooed. Then they heard a loud purr coming from downstairs, other students started to gather by the windows.

Jaerin saw the smirk on her friend’s face.

“Ya, Jung Heeji, it’s still your first day.” She warned, Heeji just bumped fists with her and she stood up.

Heeji rushed to the double doors and looked over the metal barricades.

“Is..she going to jump?” Jaerin stood up and rushed to the doors, she saw Taeyong and he friends look up from their table.

Then Heeji leapt down from the railings and landed smoothly on the back of the waiting monster truck that had Batman’s symbol emblazoned on its black metallic body.

“Oh god, I don’t know her.” Jaerin covered her face and moved away just as the crown cheered for the monster truck that was already speeding away.

 

“Well, Jung Heeji’s back.”

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++