016

A Royal Pain In The

 

Heeji stepped in the room; she was relieved that they each had their own rooms. She had no idea what she’d do if the elders made them share rooms.

“If you need anything, young miss, please don’t hesitate to call us.” One of the three palace maids assigned to her said kindly.

She faced them and nodded, the three curtsied before stepping out of the room. And then Taeyong came strolling in, dressed in a pair of slim fitted khakis and a salmon colored sweater.

“They let us live away from the main palace.” Heeji spoke in wonder.

“I made a deal with them,” He stated as he took a seat on the divan.

“Deal?” Heeji asked as she started to take off her heels, Taeyong nodded and leaned back on his seat.

“If they were to decide who I’m going to marry then at least they’d give us space. So, they allowed us to take over the eastern wing of the palace.”

“Space?” Heeji almost laughed while trying to unstrap her left shoe.

“Don’t laugh. It’s my way of protecting you too; do you want the queen to supervise your study periods?” Taeyong said as he left his seat and went down one knee to help her with the strap of her shoe.

“Don’t start. I’m still trying to absorb everything.” She sighed, Taeyong grinned.

“Oh, and did I mention that we’re getting married this Thursday?” He teased as he set her shoes aside.

“If I’m going to be crown princess, can I curse at you?” She asked, Taeyong chuckled before standing up again.

“Go to sleep, Jiji.”

“Taeyong-ah,” She said, Taeyong turned to her, she sighed.

“I’m sorry.”

“Heeji~”

“You and Ahyoung, you two wouldn’t have to be in this situation if I had said no.” She stated.

“Will you tell me why you didn’t?” He asked, she looked away.

“LG…LG needs help. If I don’t marry you, LG will be in trouble in a few years’ time. So, in a way, I married you for money.”

Taeyong grew confused. He never heard of LG having financial issues, surely his parents would mention this to him. But, there was nothing about discussed with him, his forehead creased.

“So, I’m offering you this,” She started and stood up.

“If you need anything, if there’s something that you want to do..or anything, just tell me. I’ll try my best to help.”

“What if they ask for an heir?” Taeyong asked lightly.

“Why would you ask for your own death, Lee Taeyong?” She snorted, Taeyong grinned before opening his arms to hers.

“I know there are a lot of things in your head right now and it’s bothering you,” He murmured as Heeji stepped into his arms.

“When it gets too difficult, come to me. I can help you too.” He smiled as he wrapped his arms around her.

“Anything for Jung Heeji, remember?” She chuckled, Taeyong just nodded.

 

 

“Abeoji,”

Ahyoung stepped in Mr. Jung’s office; he looked up from the book he was reading.

“Ahyoung-ah, you’re still up.” Mrs. Jung smiled and patted the space next to her on the couch.

“I know, you’re wondering why we didn’t tell you about Heeji.” Mrs. Jung nodded as she sat down.

“Y-yes,” She replied.

“It was an arrangement between my father and the deceased king,” Mr. Jung spoke as he left his table.

“You knew him?” Ahyoung asked, the elder nodded.

“As kids, I was playmates with his son, the current king. And just like us, Taeyong and Heeji grew up as good friends too.”

“Then, the parties you attended over the weekends from before?” Ahyoung asked.

“Yes, that.” He smiled.

“We both promised that our eldest children would be united. So that we can finally become finally, he wanted my first daughter to be queen.”

“First daughter…of course.” Ahyoung smiled, her fists curling, Mrs. Jung sighed and squeezed her shoulder.

“Dear, I’m sure you understand. And besides, Heeji and Taeyong have known each other ever since they were kids.”

“It’s because you didn’t take me to those parties with you, that’s why I don’t know him. We never had the chance to be friends.” Ahyoung nodded, she felt Mr. Jung’s gaze on her.

“My father didn’t allow me to take you, I’m sure you understand that too, daughter.” He nodded, Ahyoung looked up and smiled.

“Of course, I do, appa. I’m very grateful for everything you’ve done for me.” She said before standing up.

“I’ll go to my room now.” She kissed her mother good night and stepped out of the office, she exhaled as she closed the doors behind her.

But I am the first daughter and I saw him first. Taeyong’s mine.

 

 

Heeji stepped out of the bathroom dressed in a pink silk robe over her pajamas. She looked around her room, and flinched slightly at sight of the frilly curtains.

She sniffed and made her way towards the sofa in front of the flat screen television. She plopped down on the sofa and leaned back.

“What do you mean?” Heeji asked as they stepped out of the building, the male grinned and just took her hand.

“I’ve been deciding, Daehan University doesn’t seem that bad.”

“Huh. Daehan. Korea. Seoul.” She shuddered, he chuckled and kissed the side of her head as they headed towards the parking lot.

“I can still fly over during weekends to come see you.” He offered.

“But it’s for your graduate studies, oppa. You’ll be busy,” She made a face.

“I can always make time for you, gongjunim.” He teased.

“Don’t call me that. It’s weird and greasy and I’m actually friends with the crown prince.”

He rolled his eyes at her and opened the passenger door.

“But if you really decide to go, I wont stop you.”

Heeji exhaled and opened her eyes and shook her head.

“The irony.” She murmured to herself, then she saw the box across her, she sat up and picked it up.

It was from Taeyong. He had drawn a small map of the eastern palace, and he meticulously pointed out all the blind spots and escape routes. She grinned and set the box down.

“Like it?”

She looked up, Taeyong was standing by the door with a cup of tea in hand.

“It’s perfect, Yongie.” She grinned as she walked to her and sat down.

“Lavender tea, no sugar.” He said with a smile as he handed the cup to her.

“What brings you here?” She asked as she took a small sip.

“Movie night. Let’s make tonight movie night.” He nodded as he picked up the remote control.

“Deal.” She grinned at him.

“Well, that and I figured you needed something to help calm your nerves.” Taeyong poked her nose before facing the screen again.

Yeah, I should calm my nerves. He’s back in Seoul. And I’m scared.

 

 

Chanyeol entered the bar and spotted his friend sitting alone with a couple of empty beer bottles before him.

“Why are you back?” He asked as he took the seat beside him.

“I realized I messed up.” He shrugged as he leaned back on the stool.

“Took you long enough,” Chanyeol smirked before swiping the beer from the other male’s hand.

“Did you meet her?”

“I’m not going to help you.” Chanyeol replied, the male paused.

“I didn’t know this would happen, I just…I just..” He trailed off.

“Then, why did you let her go?” Chanyeol set the bottle down.

“Because I was a fool.”

“Good thing you know, now go ahead and try taking her away from the prince.”

The male exhaled.

“She doesn’t love him.” He stated, Chanyeol shrugged.

“They’re good friends, there’s always hope for that.”

 

“Ani, he doesn’t know her like I do.”

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++